Help With Boker Fish Knife

Boker specific research and history discussions, Questions & answers, Picture sharing
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Help With Boker Fish Knife

Post by JohnR »

Grabbed this Boker Fish knife yesterday that I am unable to find much info on or any other examples. Large with bone handles and stainless steel, reminds me of the George Schrade Boker all metal fish knives.
Anyone have any info on these? Sellers pics.
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg
Greenman

Re: Help With Boker Fish Knife

Post by Greenman »

JohnR wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:40 pm Grabbed this Boker Fish knife yesterday that I am unable to find much info on or any other examples. Large with bone handles and stainless steel, reminds me of the George Schrade Boker all metal fish knives.
I notice from the third photo that your knife appears to have an extremely thick, two-piece, centre liner.
Is it, by any chance, a slot knife? Do the two halves slide apart like the utensils on a “hobo” pattern?
Josh

/|\

“Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature, unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping.”
— Hubert Reeves
Rusty1

Post by Rusty1 »

1956-Boker bought the George Schrade Knife Co. and continued producing Presto and Commando, switchblade knives until they were banned by Congress in 1958.

As Boker bought GSKC That is why there are similarities to the all metal fish knives that you mentioned. Fantastic looking knife for it's age.

Russell
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Greenman wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:42 pm
JohnR wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:40 pm Grabbed this Boker Fish knife yesterday that I am unable to find much info on or any other examples. Large with bone handles and stainless steel, reminds me of the George Schrade Boker all metal fish knives.
I notice from the third photo that your knife appears to have an extremely thick, two-piece, centre liner.
Is it, by any chance, a slot knife? Do the two halves slide apart like a “hobo” knife?

I did not think of that, I did notice the 2 piece liner, will not know until the knife arrives, it popped up yesterday on Ebay for 25 bucks, thought it was worth a shot.
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Rusty1 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:45 pm 1956-Boker bought the George Schrade Knife Co. and continued producing Presto and Commando, switchblade knives until they were banned by Congress in 1958.

As Boker bought GSKC That is why there are similarities to the all metal fish knives that you mentioned. Fantastic looking knife for it's age.

Russell
Thanks Russell.
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

JohnR wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:02 pm
Greenman wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:42 pm
Is it, by any chance, a slot knife? Do the two halves slide apart like a “hobo” knife?

I did not think of that, I did notice the 2 piece liner, will not know until the knife arrives, it popped up yesterday on Ebay for 25 bucks, thought it was worth a shot.
Seems like you got a good deal!
Please post some photos and let us know if it comes apart once you actually get the knife in hand. I suspect that it does; I can’t see any other reason why one layer of the centre liner would have a milled easy-open notch. If it is a slot knife, it’s likely that you will have to open the scaler/disgorger blade before the two halves will slide apart. Again, keep us posted! :)
Josh

/|\

“Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature, unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping.”
— Hubert Reeves
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Outstanding knife at an even better price. I've never seen that model before but it does share some of the features I have seen on other Boker knives with Geo. Schrade influence. Note the bolsters are thin metal caps that cover the bone slabs.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

btrwtr wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:12 pm Outstanding knife at an even better price. I've never seen that model before but it does share some of the features I have seen on other Boker knives with Geo. Schrade influence. Note the bolsters are thin metal caps that cover the bone slabs.
Thanks Wayne, I did not notice the bolster construction, quite different.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Nice find John, at a great price! I agree with Josh, from the picture it does look like slot knife construction. If so it’s an even better bargain.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Return to “Boker Knife Collector's Forum”