This Boker Barlow just looks kinda funny

Boker specific research and history discussions, Questions & answers, Picture sharing
Meridian_Mike

This Boker Barlow just looks kinda funny

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Hey y'all...
I got this old Boker Barlow. I got it mostly because I like the bolster.
ANYWAY.....
The main blade looks short so I figured it was tipped and then re-profiled. Putting that aside.....
WHY is the tree on the mark side of the main blade? I thought the tree was on the opposite side of the blade.... ::shrug::
SO...
Here is a couple of the sellers pics for y'all to see.
boker3.jpg
boker2.jpg
boker1.jpg
boker7.jpg
What do y'all think?
Mike
:)
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
rangerbluedog

Re: This Boker Barlow just looks kinda funny

Post by rangerbluedog »

Pre-WW2 Barlow knives made by BOKER USA had the tree stamp on the front like that.
The "cloud" bolster stamp appeared right around WW2.
I think that may be the real deal from the early 1940s.
I'll post up a catalog pic this afternoon...

edit
1941 catalog. You can just make out part of the tree on the tang stamp.
CAT1941.JPG
By 1954 things had changed a little: note the long nail nick.
Post WW2 is about the time BOKER USA changed from the tree tang stamp to just having the pattern number.
Exhibit B1postwar-1954.jpg
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Thanks Blue!
::tu::
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Has characteristics of that era- such as unshaped, natural (maybe faded) bone scales, bolster stamps and iron liners. If you're looking to buy it I say it's a go. ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

1967redrider wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:52 pm Has characteristics of that era- such as unshaped, natural (maybe faded) bone scales, bolster stamps and iron liners. If you're looking to buy it I say it's a go. ::tu::
10-4.... Thanks for the input.
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

Thanks for sharing that one M_M. ::tu::
I too, love that bolster stamp, and searched for a long time to find an example that was both clear, and INEXPENSIVE. :)
Here's mine. Note you can barely make out the pattern number on the blade. The early 1950s knives had a caramel colored bone that I really like.
I haven't seen any real evidence, but I believe that BOKER USA was trying in the post WW2 years up through the mid 1950s to distance themselves from the parent company ( and their relatives) in Solingen. You won't find many TREES on the USA made Boker knives during that decade or so after the war.
20200214_185505.jpg
I almost hate to use the term "transitional" knife when it comes to Boker, because they seemed to make large quantities of blades and use them for years. However I think one could make the argument that the knife in the original post has a "pre-war" blade and a "post-war" bolster, made that way at the factory.
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

rangerbluedog wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:03 am I believe that BOKER USA was trying in the post WW2 years up through the mid 1950s to distance themselves from the parent company ( and their relatives) in Solingen. You won't find many TREES on the USA made Boker knives during that decade or so after the war.
I almost hate to use the term "transitional" knife when it comes to Boker, because they seemed to make large quantities of blades and use them for years. However I think one could make the argument that the knife in the original post has a "pre-war" blade and a "post-war" bolster, made that way at the factory.
That is a very good explanation of the Boker companies before and after WWII.
I guess my Old Timer's disease (forgetfulness... not knives this time) helped me forget that Germany didn't get along with the US just prior to and after WWII.
SO.... Boker knives were "born" in Germany but later became a USA made knife hence the "MADE IN USA" bolster. Very good! That pretty much nails this one to a post war time period.
(I need to buy a copy of your book.)

Return to “Boker Knife Collector's Forum”