Boker Sampler

Boker specific research and history discussions, Questions & answers, Picture sharing
Kyreds57

Boker Sampler

Post by Kyreds57 »

I got ahold of a Boker Premium Punch Knife that is suppose to be a salesmans sampler .It has Heinr.Boler on the tang under that Baumwerk-Soligen then below that says Germany Alemania Please help me with dates & worth
Bokersampler.jpg
Always move finger before closing Knife!!!
Gunsil

Re: Boker Sampler

Post by Gunsil »

Baumwork is German for Tree Works, the name of the Boker factory. Alemania is Spanish for Germany so the knife was probably made for sale to Spanish and English speaking countries. I don't think it is a salesman sample knife, Boker has made thousands of knives with the panel etching on the main blade. Solingen naturally is the city in Germany where the Boker and many other German cutleries are. Knife is fairly new, likely no earlier than the 1970s-1980s. Pretty knife although the handles look like celluloid and modern German celluloid has a reputation for disintegrating. I mostly deal with older knives and can't help you with a monetary value. Very pretty knife.
thegreedygulo
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by thegreedygulo »

Kyreds57 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:25 am I got ahold of a Boker Premium Punch Knife that is suppose to be a salesmans sampler .It has Heinr.Boler on the tang under that Baumwerk-Soligen then below that says Germany Alemania Please help me with dates & worthBokersampler.jpg
Nice knife! I saw the knife sell on ebay. It along with several others were part of the Boker Factory Factory display at SMKW. Most salesman sample knives will have indelible ink on one of the blades (usually on the back of the master blade). Factory display boards sometimes do not put ink on the blades, but it is still considered a salesman's sample because it is part of a factory display board.

As for the age of your knife, Boker used that original tang stamp from 1932-1950. The same tang stamp was also used in reproduction knives much later on. Your knife is not a reproduction. It's easy to tell the old ones from the reproductions by just the overall look of the knife, but more importantly by tang stampings and tree stamps on the tangs. The handles are celluloid and that is also a pattern you won't see very often. Most H. Boker Premium Punch knives are stockman patterns with a punch.

As for the knife's value, opinions will vary. I will say, in my opinion, you got a GREAT deal on it. Congrats.
A pocket knife is still an intimate personal possession of the individual who carries it and consequently deserves the best of materials, finish and workmanship in its production. (Quoted from Boker's 1928 cutlery catalog).
Kyreds57

Post by Kyreds57 »

i APPRECIATE YOUR IMPUT & INFO ON TE KNIFE.i AM NOT SURE I GOT A GOOD DEAL OR NOT $55 .i WOULD LIKE TO KNOW AROUND ABOUT HOW MUCH IT WOULD BE WORTH! THANKS THO I APPRECIATE IT.
Kyreds57

Post by Kyreds57 »

Gunsil wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:13 am Baumwork is German for Tree Works, the name of the Boker factory. Alemania is Spanish for Germany so the knife was probably made for sale to Spanish and English speaking countries. I don't think it is a salesman sample knife, Boker has made thousands of knives with the panel etching on the main blade. Solingen naturally is the city in Germany where the Boker and many other German cutleries are. Knife is fairly new, likely no earlier than the 1970s-1980s. Pretty knife although the handles look like celluloid and modern German celluloid has a reputation for disintegrating. I mostly deal with older knives and can't help you with a monetary value. Very pretty knife.
Well i appreciate your help! I have al;ready gotten 2 opinions about this knife! It sold as a Salesmans Sampler knife It has a tree on back side of the main blade Also on the front side of the punch blade & on front side of the second blade. So which is it not or as the guy that posted next it is ! whats the value of it & when was it made?
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

At $55, you got a good deal.
It does appear the knife has been recently polished. The TREE stamp on the reverse usually indicates pre-WW2 manufacture date. I'd guess late 1930s to late 1940s. Value is whatever someone is willing to pay for it, but in my opinion that knife is worth about $150-$180. Being pre-WW2 and an unusual pattern adds value, the celluloid handle and recent cleaning in most collectors opinion lowers the value.

You should print out what thegreedygulo posted above and keep it with your knife, because he is one of the foremost H. Boker collectors in the U.S. and has probably had hundreds of these old pre-WW2 knives pass through his hands! :)

I hope this helps.
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com

Return to “Boker Knife Collector's Forum”