Unusual Boker Pen Knife

Boker specific research and history discussions, Questions & answers, Picture sharing
kootenay joe

Unusual Boker Pen Knife

Post by kootenay joe »

This 2 3/4" Senator Pen knife certainly looks 'factory' but the tang markings are a bit odd.
Etch on master blade "Tree Brand 230" looks like etches on reasonably recent Boker knives. The tang stamp seems like it is recessed into an outlined area:
"Heinr.Boker&Co/Solingen/Germany". On the back of master is a tree stamp that looks 'older'. On the front side of secondary is a different tree stamp, looks bushier and unlike other tree stamps i have seen.
I am sure this knife came out of the factory just as it now is. Do you see the markings as 'odd' ?
last picture shows it closed, top knife.
kj
Attachments
IMGP9771.JPG
IMGP9772.JPG
IMGP9773.JPG
IMGP9773.JPG (35.21 KiB) Viewed 3464 times
IMGP9774.JPG
IMGP9774.JPG (34.79 KiB) Viewed 3464 times
IMGP9775.JPG
IMGP9775.JPG (35.54 KiB) Viewed 3464 times
IMGP9766.JPG
kootenay joe

Re: Unusual Boker Pen Knife

Post by kootenay joe »

Having just looked at my pictures posted above, perhaps it is the same tree, just a bit 'blurred' on the pen secondary ?
kj
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

kootenay joe wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:26 am Having just looked at my pictures posted above, perhaps it is the same tree, just a bit 'blurred' on the pen secondary ?
kj
Roland ,nice knife . Think you are right the Tree stamps are the same ,maybe a bit blurred Secondary as you said. Really nice handles on this one , thanks for posting it .
JP
RevolverGuy

Post by RevolverGuy »

What's unusual is the Tree stamp on both blades, normally Boker stamps just one, and the main blade tang stamp is a little off. I suspect that the blades were leftovers from an earlier period and Boker assembled the knife at a later date... They've been known to do that quite a bit.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

RevolverGuy wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:20 pm What's unusual is the Tree stamp on both blades, normally Boker stamps just one, and the main blade tang stamp is a little off. I suspect that the blades were leftovers from an earlier period and Boker assembled the knife at a later date... They've been known to do that quite a bit.
Thanks RG. I was wondering the same thing which is why i posted it. The 'trees' don't look like the trees on other Boker Germany knives that were made recently.
Anyone know how far back this blade etch goes ?
kj
Greg92

Post by Greg92 »

kootenay joe wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:24 am This 2 3/4" Senator Pen knife certainly looks 'factory' but the tang markings are a bit odd.
Etch on master blade "Tree Brand 230" looks like etches on reasonably recent Boker knives. The tang stamp seems like it is recessed into an outlined area:
"Heinr.Boker&Co/Solingen/Germany". On the back of master is a tree stamp that looks 'older'. On the front side of secondary is a different tree stamp, looks bushier and unlike other tree stamps i have seen.
I am sure this knife came out of the factory just as it now is. Do you see the markings as 'odd' ?
kj

Very nice!!!☺️😊
G.A.F
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thank you GAF. I have just today shipped the three knives shown above which includes the Boker pen knife. The Premier slim stockman is an exceptionally fine example of top German cutlery. I am missing these knives already.
kj ::teary_eyes::
Hideaway Knives

Post by Hideaway Knives »

Interesting design I like it
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

Beautiful old mint condition knife from the 1950s! ::tu::
That blade etch first showed up in 1950s catalogs, while the tang stamp ceased to be used in the late 1950s.
The tree stamps on the reverse tang usually indicate pre-WW2 knives, but as was stated, this knife may have been made with pre-war blades.
If so, this is a really great historic piece.
The bone scales just scream out 1950s to me.
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thank you Blue. I sold this knife for a few dollars soon after making the post. Needed the money but got seller's remorse very quickly. It is one i should of kept.
kj
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

kootenay joe wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:43 am Thank you Blue. I sold this knife for a few dollars soon after making the post. Needed the money but got seller's remorse very quickly. It is one i should of kept.
kj
Uh oh, I've done that too. :(
-Blue
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

rangerbluedog wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:33 am
kootenay joe wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:43 am Thank you Blue. I sold this knife for a few dollars soon after making the post. Needed the money but got seller's remorse very quickly. It is one i should of kept.
kj
Uh oh, I've done that too. :(
Same here.
:(
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

kootenay joe wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:24 am This 2 3/4" Senator Pen knife certainly looks 'factory' but the tang markings are a bit odd.
kj
Hey Roland.
Would you happen to have any more Boker pen knives?
I've been having a real hankering for a vintage Boker, "The Book" is really rubbing off...
:D
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Willi, i'm almost Bokered out. What is here will stay.
kj
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

Steve Pfieffer (knifeaholic on AAPK) is selling one similar on eBay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1960-s ... SwKtdfUQa7
-Blue
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

kootenay joe wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:27 am Willi, i'm almost Bokered out. What is here will stay.
kj
Sounds good mate. ::tu::
Winston Churchill

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

rangerbluedog wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:55 am Steve Pfieffer (knifeaholic on AAPK) is selling one similar on eBay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1960-s ... SwKtdfUQa7
Thank you for the link Blue. I'm going to check around a bit, before I settle on anything.
::tu::
Winston Churchill

Return to “Boker Knife Collector's Forum”