pliers?

Boker specific research and history discussions, Questions & answers, Picture sharing
mrwatch

pliers?

Post by mrwatch »

Found a rusty pair of H Boker cutter/plies in an old shed. Is this the same company as the knives?
Beavertail

Re: pliers?

Post by Beavertail »

Yep,I've got a pair of their pliers and a pair of their diagonal cutters. ::tu::
Tim
cody6268

Re: pliers?

Post by cody6268 »

These belonged to my great-Granddad. Decent little pliers. Before I lost my USA 9229 (not the kinda crappy ones assembled in Germany with USA parts), I always carried them together. Currently, they reside in a toolbag. I still use them. Nice and lightweight.

5332-6 needlenose cutter pliers.
KIMG3912.JPG
KIMG3913.JPG

And, not to derail this thread, but since I'm already in that bag, some other stuff in the bag my hand drill and corded Skil oscillating tool are stored in. I own pretty few modern good-quality tools, and most of what I have is quite old, and interesting. Harbor Freight only gets bought when I need a specialized tool badly, but can't at present afford a good one. I occasionally buy up things like hammers, pliers, and screwdrivers too, but mostly to use to loan out, so expensive tools don't get stolen or lost.

Here's the three pliers (including the Boker) that are in there. The top "telephone" pliers are Kraeuter from the '50s. They're great for getting into tight places. They've saved my butt when screws went down places I can't reach. The Elliot Lucas (English-made) are from the '60 and came all the way from England. They were common in the toolkits of British cars of the '50s and '60s. They're worn out (were when I got them), and I don't use them anymore (replaced with a new pair of Knipex the same size, as well as a beat up Crescent USA the same size Granddad gave me), but I still keep them with my tools. The 6" size of the linesman's plier is super-handy as an everyday carry plier, especially the Euro style with the gripping channel.

KIMG3915.JPG

And my drill, a 1950s Millers Falls 2A "Machinist Drill". It's been here ever since my folks bought this place and moved here in July 1969. Long story short--Bluefield State College had just desegregated, and a number of students who resisted the change were threatening to kill the man who originally built this place (a professor at the college), and he and his family left in a hurry. Thus, lots of tools and stuff were left behind. Right up until my teenage years (because I am sort of autistic); my grandparents didn't let me use power tools; so old school stuff was used instead. Wasn't allowed to use a chainsaw, circular saw, or power drill, but I did use axes, handsaws, and this old thing. A few years ago, I degunked it, and oiled it well. It runs like a Swiss watch. It can drill a hole as fast as a cordless drill. Anything it can't do, I have a 3/8 corded Craftsman, and 5/8 corded Hitachi for heavier jobs. While I rarely use the 12V Hitachi my grandmother likes (too wimpy), the 18V Dewalt does most anything I typically grab the 3/8 Craftsman for. From my teenage years until the past couple years (when I was taught to use a chainsaw safely) I was taught to finally properly use all power tools. While I prefer a chainsaw to an axe, a circular saw to a handsaw (well, once I got the old Disstons I've got properly sharp and set, that may change), for most small DIY and woodworking projects, I still prefer this drill. No more dragging out 2-3 extension cords to get from garage to barn, and no more "Crap, the battery's dead" when getting out a cordless tool. I put a few drops of oil on the gears and shaft ports on the frame, and I'm good to go.

I use Colt and Riss bits. Last year, I bought several Mikov knives from a seller of woodworking tools. I had bought so many as to get my total to $50, and I got my choice of free tools, which was mostly things like tweezers, rulers, dust masks, and safety glasses. I didn't have any good drill bits, so I chose these. They are sharp and drill through wood and drywall quickly even with this old thing. The top unscrews to hold bits. I don't keep much in there, since most modern bits don't fit in there. I think there may be a few small diameter metal bits I put in there a few years back.
KIMG3917.JPG
KIMG3918.JPG

Return to “Boker Knife Collector's Forum”