New Moore Maker Bokers

Boker specific research and history discussions, Questions & answers, Picture sharing
cody6268

New Moore Maker Bokers

Post by cody6268 »

I've lately been having a heart attack over German Boker prices. Seems they've retired most of the Case-priced ($50-60 range) German-made carbon steel in favor of higher-priced premium (as in north of $100) offerings. I noticed in my email this morning, Moore Maker has introduced two new Boker-made patterns to the lineup.

3 3/4 lockback.

https://www.mooremaker.com/store/p357/% ... F4%22.html

4 1/8" Trapper

https://www.mooremaker.com/store/p358/% ... F8%22.html

But this is my problem.
Imported, engineered, and designed by Boker of Germany

MM isn't saying where they are made at all (older Boker-made Moore Makers are German and stamped as such). Seems this sounds like they are trying to avoid that fact entirely. Could these be Chinese made you reckon? The prices on these are suspiciously low for a Boker and especially a Moore Maker. But not too out of whack when you compare them to the Chinese "TS" series knives. Steel is 1065; which is really not suited for fine cutlery, and is mostly used for axes and hatchets. I know real German Bokers are C75, USA 1085, and most USA-made traditional knives 1095.

I'm checking local flea markets and junk stores pretty soon; so I figure for less money than these, I can come home with a decent, not too beat up German-made Boker Stockman.
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: New Moore Maker Bokers

Post by dlr110 »

I just sent the boys at Matador an email to see if they will give me more info and where these are actually manufactured.
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

David, I noted the same facts you did concerning Moore Maker. Their non-German manufactured knives are often made in Spain or Argentina.
Please let us know if you get an answer. Thanks.
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Here is the response I just received from Moore Maker.

Leonard Secrest <leonard@mooremaker.com>
8:13 AM (13 minutes ago)
to me

I am not sure where Boker has them made (at least partly somewhere in Asia I believe), I know that they came to us from Germany, and that the quality is what we expect from Boker the fit and finish of these knives is unreal.

Thank you
Mooremaker.com
830-391-7097
Eye Brand Man

Post by Eye Brand Man »

The price says it all to me. These are not Solingen knives. They just don't have the "look". Blade shapes are defiantly different than Solingen Bokers, plus the fact that there 1065 vs C75 is a giveaway.
Eye Brand Collector
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

Eye Brand Man wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:48 pm The price says it all to me. These are not Solingen knives. They just don't have the "look". Blade shapes are defiantly different than Solingen Bokers, plus the fact that there 1065 vs C75 is a giveaway.
Definitely don't look like the Bokers I have plus the price is a dead giveaway.
Tim
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Blades look similar to Rough Rider knives which cost less than half the cost of these new Moore Makers.
kj
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

kootenay joe wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:32 pm Blades look similar to Rough Rider knives which cost less than half the cost of these new Moore Makers.
kj
And they're offered in carbon steel for many patterns these days. I've been carrying a Large Scout pattern (Dave Canterbury Scout King) sold under RR's sister brand, Marble's, and it's arguably the best Scout I have. And only cost $17. I paid more than that for used Camillus. The Folding Hunter (one of the first carbon steel knives RR sold) was $15; and it's almost as good as my vintage Case.
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Does anyone own one of these new Moore Maker's? If not I'm willing to order one to see what they are like.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

I put up a copy of the front page of SMKW catalog a few months ago and it said that Boker was not going to make many if any traditional patterns in Germany any more. They had a sale on the remaining Solingen knives in that catalog. So if these are traditional patterns they are probably made in China. Here is another photo of that cover from January.
Attachments
CF6C1CD8-F761-4506-A102-6BBC366045EB.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

This is sad news.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Quick Steel wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:31 pm This is sad news.
Exactly, given these are essentially Moore Makers made in China. The individual they have that sells their seconds on eBay has always had this.
All Moore Maker Knives are made in the USA; NOT China
Guess that ain't true anymore.
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

I've ordered the Lockback #5101. I'll let you know what I think when it gets here.
I will be out of town next week so it will be almost two weeks before I see it.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

You put that Rough Ry/ider horseshoe shield on there and BINGO! ::facepalm::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I don’t have a Moore Maker but I do already own two of those white bone lockbacks. I had one rehandled by Muskrat Man a few years ago with Amboynia wood. I can tell you from experience that this is a very fine knife. It is not marked as made in China, but my understanding is that all the parts were made in China and these were assembled in Germany. That’s why they aren’t marked Solingen Germany on the blades and simply marked “Boker” and that’s why people are cagy about the COO on these. These sell at a higher price point than Boker Plus or Boker Magnum but not as high as the now discontinued traditional Bokers made in Solingen. I don’t know if knives marked with simply Boker selling at this price point are still made from parts sourced in China and assembled in Germany or if they are just moving the whole process to China?
This knife that I own is better than the Rough Rider knives that I have owned in the past. These are very high quality and carry a lifetime warranty just as all Boker knives do. The run up on these is excellent. The fit and finish is excellent and the lock up is great. This knife is easy to sharpen and holds an edge well. The question is does the “Moore Maker” logo make this knife better in some way? I’m guessing it doesn’t.
Attachments
B7FE6DF9-2C45-4696-A775-E26411A92159.jpeg
378842B7-CC2E-4751-8336-0A4A882F4BE3.jpeg
66BB7254-44DF-4DFB-9FF5-103D56318799.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

The knife with they Amboynia handles looks terrific. Nice treatment on the bolsters as well.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Thanks Garry, it came out well. The Amboynia wood was an exceptional piece and the stippling on the bolsters really set it off.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:58 pm I don’t have a Moore Maker but I do already own two of those white bone lockbacks. I had one rehandled by Muskrat Man a few years ago with Amboynia wood. I can tell you from experience that this is a very fine knife. It is not marked as made in China, but my understanding is that all the parts were made in China and these were assembled in Germany. That’s why they aren’t marked Solingen Germany on the blades and simply marked “Boker” and that’s why people are cagy about the COO on these. These sell at a higher price point than Boker Plus or Boker Magnum but not as high as the now discontinued traditional Bokers made in Solingen. I don’t know if knives marked with simply Boker selling at this price point are still made from parts sourced in China and assembled in Germany or if they are just moving the whole process to China?
This knife that I own is better than the Rough Rider knives that I have owned in the past. These are very high quality and carry a lifetime warranty just as all Boker knives do. The run up on these is excellent. The fit and finish is excellent and the lock up is great. This knife is easy to sharpen and holds an edge well. The question is does the “Moore Maker” logo make this knife better in some way? I’m guessing it doesn’t.
Those look great!

In my opinion no. Usually, I'll prefer a Moore Maker version over a certain Utica or Bear pattern, simply because it may be offered in carbon steel vs. 440A or 420HC. Recently, I found that (for even less than the highly discounted price I paid), I could've got a Utica own brand version of a fixed blade I bought with a horn handle as opposed to the poorly fitted yellow Delrin the MM had. The 1065 steel, unlike 1095, is actually worse than the 440C they come with. You have a rather nice, mid-end stainless steel that will stay sharp a very long time; vs. a softish steel not often used on knives (as I said before, usually axes and other large edged hand tools).\

Now, I'm really itching to try a TS series knife. My local knife store has a bunch.
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Here’s the Moore Maker I ordered. It has 1065 carbon steel blades, white bone handles. Includes brass liners and nickel silver bolsters. The finish on the bone and bolsters is very smooth and all seams are perfectly matched and flush. The blade is centered when closed and is firmly fixed in position when open with no movement. The snap on the blade is clear when opened and closed. It comes with a 1 year limited warranty. No information is included as to who made it or country of origin, however on their website it does state "Imported, engineered, and designed by Boker of Germany"

Most of you guys know more about the technical aspects of knives than I do, such as manufacturing, types of steel, sharpening etc. I’m just a collector, but for EDC I think the Moore Maker #5101 LBG is a winner. However, at $45 plus $8.50 shipping, plus tax, I might try to find it elsewhere at a better price.
Attachments
20210626_105932.jpg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Looking good David. I favor smooth covers on a using knife.

Return to “Boker Knife Collector's Forum”