Boker 9361

Boker specific research and history discussions, Questions & answers, Picture sharing
Rottonj

Boker 9361

Post by Rottonj »

I have a question regarding what to do with this knife. I am a new member, small collector and consider myself handy. The main blade is broken, and while I don't have the skills enough to fabricate a replacement blade I could possibly find a knife in worse condition and use it for parts needed. I have no plans on selling it, just maybe a learning experience. I have seen the different tang stamps, I'm guessing its old but after 1945 sometime. Its kinda cool, and would hate for it to just sit in the junk box knives till I pass and my kids get rid of my collection. Just some thoughts/info or suggestions on what to do with this. Thank you

https://ibb.co/sHKx8Mb
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Boker 9361

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome to AAPK. Instructions for how to post pictures can be found here viewforum.php?f=98.

Information related to how-to repair knives, etc can be found here viewforum.php?f=48 ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Rottonj

Post by Rottonj »

Thank you for this info, very helpful.
Boker9361.jpg
eveled

Post by eveled »

Do you know if the covers are bone or plastic?

As you know that style can opener didn’t exist until 1944, if I had to guess I’d say your knife is 1950 to 1970. But Bokers aren’t my area of expertise.

You need to find a donor knife then send it to someone who can fix it. I’m not sure it’s worth the effort.
Rottonj

Post by Rottonj »

How can I tell if the covers are bone or plastic? Looks plastic to me similar to my Kamp Kings or Scout knives.
eveled

Post by eveled »

Bone will have pores. It’s usually pretty obvious with a magnifying glass. A hot needle is the definitive test. Plastic melts.
Rottonj

Post by Rottonj »

Well I don't see pores, didn't really get a melt with the pin but it did mark it so I will go with plastic. Will this help in dating the knife closer? Again, thank you for all the help, it's greatly appreciated. Glad I found this site, tons of great info in the forums.
Rottonj

Post by Rottonj »

I found this online, this seems to be the one I have if the information is correct.
Attachments
Boker shield.jpg
Boker shield 2.jpg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Here’s an older post that explains how to tell genuine bone from synthetics. As stated previously, bone has pores that are visible under magnification (scientific term is Haversian canals). viewtopic.php?f=98&t=62145&p=732251&hil ... an#p732251. Any reasonably good magnifier can be used.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Rottonj

Post by Rottonj »

Thanks. I will have to get one. I have been using a magnifying glass. I still don't think it's bone as I don't see anything that looks porous.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Sure looks like bone to me on my cellphone. ::welcome:: to AAPK if I haven't said so already.

John
Attachments
Screenshot_20211226-220857.png
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Return to “Boker Knife Collector's Forum”