I need a shield for a Boker.

Boker specific research and history discussions, Questions & answers, Picture sharing
Resophonatic
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

I need a shield for a Boker.

Post by Resophonatic »

Does any one know where I could find the shield for this Boker?
Thank you in advance.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: I need a shield for a Boker.

Post by herbva »

I've gotten quite a few replacement shields from Boker over the years. I haven't done it for a while, but all I had to do was call Boker USA with the EXACT dimensions and they were always very friendly and perfectly happy to send me replacment shields. I don't understand why they don't use better glue.
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
Resophonatic
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Resophonatic »

Thank you herbva. I will give that a try.
GentlemanEdc

Post by GentlemanEdc »

Did you have any luck finding a shield?

I'm wondering if there is a good source of replacement round shields. I don't need original boker trees, just something interesting to fill the hole. I guess I could use NS rods cut to disks, but I was wondering if there was a good source for these. It seems Delrin doesn't hold glue that well.
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

Discountcutlery.com did sell Schrade shields. I bought several and have used them. Often I have to file them down to a smaller diameter to make them fit, then I flip them over and glue them in with the smooth side out. They had brass and nickel silver both, in various shapes and sizes.
A couple of times I have cut the end off of an empty shell casing (from a bullet) and used that for a shield.
I have also bought some small "charms" from Etsy that have worked well. I got some with the USMC logo that I put on a knife for a Marine friend of mine.
Mosaic pins can be purchased from many knife suppliers in different diameters, and they can be sliced up.
Most pocket knife shields are surprisingly thin, to the point that it would be difficult to cut a rod or mosaic pin into such thin slices, but it can be done.
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

GentlemanEdc wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:27 pm Did you have any luck finding a shield?

I'm wondering if there is a good source of replacement round shields. I don't need original boker trees, just something interesting to fill the hole. I guess I could use NS rods cut to disks, but I was wondering if there was a good source for these. It seems Delrin doesn't hold glue that well.
One method that I forgot to mention is using colored epoxy to fill the hole. I have tried that a couple of times with varying results. Here is a Case that I repaired today. Unfortunately I got a few air bubbles in the epoxy, but it is good enough for an EDC.
FD32F1A6-A69A-456F-88C6-5C8E544447D9.jpeg
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
GentlemanEdc

Post by GentlemanEdc »

I have thought about printout images coated with clear epoxy. I may try that.
Oledadsknives

Post by Oledadsknives »

herbva wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:33 pm I've gotten quite a few replacement shields from Boker over the years. I haven't done it for a while, but all I had to do was call Boker USA with the EXACT dimensions and they were always very friendly and perfectly happy to send me replacment shields. I don't understand why they don't use better glue.
I agree herbva, I’ve got a 8313 wiss commemorative that the shield fell off of and Boker told me they don’t have any. Need to epoxy them on at the factory imho!

Jimbo
You can lead a person to wisdom, but you can’t make them think ::nod::
Where I am is where I’ll be!!
Jimbo
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Oledadsknives wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:21 pm
herbva wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:33 pm I've gotten quite a few replacement shields from Boker over the years. I haven't done it for a while, but all I had to do was call Boker USA with the EXACT dimensions and they were always very friendly and perfectly happy to send me replacment shields. I don't understand why they don't use better glue.
I agree herbva, I’ve got a 8313 wiss commemorative that the shield fell off of and Boker told me they don’t have any. Need to epoxy them on at the factory imho!

Jimbo
Hey Jimbo, happy new year! I looked through my jar of shields and I have one old tree brand shield that looks to be about 9.5mm across. Let me know if it will work for you.

Herb
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
Oledadsknives

Post by Oledadsknives »

herbva wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:40 pm
Oledadsknives wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:21 pm

Jimbo
Hey Jimbo, happy new year! I looked through my jar of shields and I have one old tree brand shield that looks to be about 9.5mm across. Let me know if it will work for you.

Herb
Thanks for the offer Herb but mine is an odd shape and long!HNY!!
992ED64B-2AA9-463B-A492-7321CA638906.jpeg
You can lead a person to wisdom, but you can’t make them think ::nod::
Where I am is where I’ll be!!
Jimbo
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

I just sold a knife just like that with shield intact.
Attachments
IMG_9816.JPG
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009

Return to “Boker Knife Collector's Forum”