Another 3.25" Queen Stockman

The Queen Cutlery Company manufactured knives in Titusville Pennsylvania for 96 years. The company opened its only factory there in 1919 and commenced to make some of the best US crafted cutlery you will find. Unfortunately, the Titusville manufacturing plant closed down in 2018.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Another 3.25" Queen Stockman

Post by treefarmer »

Thanks to Scott, we captured another small Queen with real Winterbottom handles. I have no idea what the pattern it is. The clip has been sharpened with some metal loss, the sheepfoot and the pen are just scratched from bad sharpening practices. The tang is a '58-'60 and a list I have shows 3 different 3.25" Queen Stockmen, #16, #26 and #57. Anyone know the differences in these patterns?
001.JPG
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Another 3.25" Queen Stockman

Post by Colonel26 »

That’s a dandy TF, just the kind I like to find. I like that Winterbottom bone!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Thank you, Wade. There is something about the real Winterbotttom that just calls my name. ::shrug:: I know the imitation is much more durable but these old gals are a pleasure to clean up.
Treefarmer

jlw257

Post by jlw257 »

Philip, another good one ::tu:: ::tu::
Larry W

Happiness is looking for XX Case Red Stag Knives
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Philip, you're the Queen magnet. Great little knife, happy for you. ::nod:: ::tu::
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

treefarmer wrote: [...] a list I have shows 3 different 3.25" Queen Stockmen, #16, #26 and #57. Anyone know the differences in these patterns?001.JPG
Treefarmer
The post 1970 3 1/4" square ended Stockmans I've seen that look like yours have pattern number 57 so 57 is probably correct for yours.

Fairly new 2 5/8" square ended Stockmans have pattern number 61. Recently made tiny, meaning 3" or slightly longer, Toothpicks have pattern number 16. Is it possible whoever made your list transposed 61 to 16 and or was not specific about length? Alternatively it could be another case of Queen being inconsistent with their pattern numbers. :?

The important thing is you new find will be a good knife to own. Its Winterbottom looks great.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

MSJ,
The list I have includes a Pattern # 61, it too is a 3 bladed stockman but 3.625" long.
If I'm not mistaken bdev (Bruno) posted the list that I'm referencing, do you have any info about the #16 and the #26
Here is a site with both old and new number lists that Queen originally used and the new numbers that were probably being used when they closed the doors recently:
https://iknifecollector.com/group/queen ... rn-numbers
The beauty of Bruno's list is that it lists closed lengths and number of blades and some patterns the shape of the main/master blade.

Treefarmer

Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

I double checked. The seller's ad wrote my #61square ended Stockman is 2 7/8". My 2 5/8" square ended Stockman is a number 54. After my 54 Stockman was made 54 was used for 4" Whittlers that are quite a bit smaller on the left side then the master blade hinge side. The ends of the Whittlers do not have as much difference in size as Case's Seahorse Whittlers. I do not know when 54 Whittlers were first made but I'm certain they made from 2007 until Queen's closing.

While the pre-1985 list you linked writes 16 is a small stockman nothing in my collection connects 16 with square ended handle patterns.

As you know pattern 26 is on both lists that you linked only as "small stockman." Approximately 2 years ago freshly made split back Whittlers that were probably stamped out with the same dies as your #57 Stockman were sold through eBay. They were marked 1 of 30 but it was 30 each with bone jigged and dyed 2 or 3 different ways and, if I recall correctly, stag. They were stainless. I'm wondering if they were etched pattern 26?

It is best to not think about Queen pattern numbers too much. It will drive back to collecting Case.

Return to “Queen Cutlery Collector's Forum”