Is this a fair price on this Queen Folder?

The Queen Cutlery Company has been manufacturing knives in Titusville Pennsylvania for over 100 years. The company opened its factory in 1902 and continues to produce knives in the same way now as they did in their earliest years.
bhuber
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:13 pm

Is this a fair price on this Queen Folder?

Post by bhuber » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:47 am

I found this out browsing at an antique mall and I’m thinking of going back tomorrow to pick it up. Not sure on year.
Attachments
3958E90C-1CBA-428D-9091-2CB9C28B3D88.jpeg

User avatar
Steve Warden
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Posts: 4699
Joined: Wed May 27, 2015 4:18 pm
Location: Cherry Hill, NJ

Re: Is this a fair price on this Queen Folder?

Post by Steve Warden » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:51 am

Depends on condition.
Cracks?
Chips?
Dings?
Rust?
Snap?
Authenticity?
Can't tell from that one pic.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)

User avatar
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 3057
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:32 am
Location: Indiana
Contact:

Re: Is this a fair price on this Queen Folder?

Post by Sharpnshinyknives » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:57 am

bhuber wrote:I found this out browsing at an antique mall and I’m thinking of going back tomorrow to pick it up. Not sure on year.

The condition is important. If it’s in good condition, then to answer your question, yes it is a good buy at 26. Check completed or sold auctions on EBay to verify, but I bet you won’t find many that cheap. It does look to be Delrin handled so it’s not the more expensive handle material, but it’s still worth that and more for a Queen in good condition.
Good luck,
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan

bhuber
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:13 pm

Re: Is this a fair price on this Queen Folder?

Post by bhuber » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:30 am

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:
bhuber wrote:I found this out browsing at an antique mall and I’m thinking of going back tomorrow to pick it up. Not sure on year.

The condition is important. If it’s in good condition, then to answer your question, yes it is a good buy at 26. Check completed or sold auctions on EBay to verify, but I bet you won’t find many that cheap. It does look to be Delrin handled so it’s not the more expensive handle material, but it’s still worth that and more for a Queen in good condition.
Good luck,
My problem is I’m not sure what model # it is. I will have to go back tomorrow and look. Based on my other 2 queen knives, I’m pretty sure it’s authentic. I’m willing to gamble $26 8)

User avatar
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 3057
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:32 am
Location: Indiana
Contact:

Re: Is this a fair price on this Queen Folder?

Post by Sharpnshinyknives » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:47 am

bhuber wrote:
Sharpnshinyknives wrote:
bhuber wrote:I found this out browsing at an antique mall and I’m thinking of going back tomorrow to pick it up. Not sure on year.

The condition is important. If it’s in good condition, then to answer your question, yes it is a good buy at 26. Check completed or sold auctions on EBay to verify, but I bet you won’t find many that cheap. It does look to be Delrin handled so it’s not the more expensive handle material, but it’s still worth that and more for a Queen in good condition.
Good luck,
My problem is I’m not sure what model # it is. I will have to go back tomorrow and look. Based on my other 2 queen knives, I’m pretty sure it’s authentic. I’m willing to gamble $26 8)

It looks like a two blade gunstock jack in Delrin with Winterbottom jigged. Hope that helps a little.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan

User avatar
cody6268
Posts: 1778
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:51 pm
Location: Southwestern Virginia

Re: Is this a fair price on this Queen Folder?

Post by cody6268 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:13 am

I'd look that sucker over like crazy. I've seen knives that looked unused, but had a lot of problems. Namely, a 1980s Kabar that had no snap on the main blade. It's tight, so I suspect it came that way from the factory. It looks good to me, but something looks weird on the pile side scale; like a chip's out of it. I think it's worth the $26, but I'd talk the seller down. They might refuse, but it never hurts to ask. Sometimes, it's saved me as much as half.

User avatar
WillyCamaro
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 2656
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:03 am
Location: MacNutt, Saskatchewan, Canada
Contact:

Re: Is this a fair price on this Queen Folder?

Post by WillyCamaro » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:41 am

Same advice here.
If she is in just nice condition totally worth $26. Nicer than good condition, steal. But it doesn't hurt to dicker a little.
Ebay is actually a bad place to get an idea of prices. Best is to look in knife books and talk to lots of collectors. Because on ebay, asking price and even sold listings wont give you true value. People over and under spend so easily. We are talk actual value, not what you pay for the thing. Then ebay is a great place to get an idea. Like the whole of collecting anything, knowledge comes with experience. Not talking about you know what. ::tounge::
:lol:
Willy :D
"Those who fail to learn from history are condemned to repeat it" - Winston Churchill
"Four Queens; that'll beat just about any hand going! Sweet!!" - Steve Warden

Modern Slip Joints
Posts: 354
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:15 am

Re: Is this a fair price on this Queen Folder?

Post by Modern Slip Joints » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:25 am

I'm ready to bet a nickle that the side covers are real Winterbottom bone. While Queen did not quit using Winterbottom bone Winterbottom Delrin became the larger part of their production in the 1970s if not the 1960s. Being bone makes it more likely that it is older. The only thing I have to help guess at its size is comparing the nail nick to the size of the master blade. My guess is that it is the common 3 1/4" handle that is used for Stockmans and Jack Knives and much less often for Whittlers. I won't bet money on its size but I will bet another nickle that it is not a gunstock pattern.

Since you can do so inspect it but based on only seeing that half of one side of the knife I'd pay the $26 in a heart beat.

User avatar
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 1898
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:43 pm

Re: Is this a fair price on this Queen Folder?

Post by Railsplitter » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:35 am

bhuber wrote: My problem is I’m not sure what model # it is. I will have to go back tomorrow and look. Based on my other 2 queen knives, I’m pretty sure it’s authentic. I’m willing to gamble $26 8)
The tag implies it's a #2 pattern which is a Serpentine Jack at about 3 1/4 inches closed.
Attachments
Queen+#2+Jack+10.jpg
Rick T.

bhuber
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:13 pm

Re: Is this a fair price on this Queen Folder?

Post by bhuber » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:01 pm

Thanks all! I’m going to go and give it a little closer inspection today. I have to say, the willingness of member to help out others here is second to none. I greatly appreciate it!! I’ll report back if I pick it up.

User avatar
XX Case XX
Posts: 3181
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:24 pm
Location: California

Re: Is this a fair price on this Queen Folder?

Post by XX Case XX » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:56 pm

For $26, I don't think you could got wrong unless there's no snap or the blade wobbles like crazy. But I understand that sometimes money is tight for various reasons and you certainly don't want to waste $26 for nothing.

Therefore, if it's at least in the "acceptable" range, I'd say you have a pretty good knife.

____________
Mike
"If there are no Dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went". Will Rogers

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...

User avatar
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 8463
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:28 am
Location: Republic of Texas

Re: Is this a fair price on this Queen Folder?

Post by Mumbleypeg » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:41 am

WillyCamaro wrote:
Ebay is actually a bad place to get an idea of prices. Best is to look in knife books and talk to lots of collectors. Because on ebay, asking price and even sold listings wont give you true value. People over and under spend so easily. We are talk actual value, not what you pay for the thing. Then ebay is a great place to get an idea. Like the whole of collecting anything, knowledge comes with experience. Not talking about you know what. ::tounge::
:lol:
Willy I’m not following your logic here. True value is what someone is willing to pay. If several someones are willing to pay that price, even better.

Book values however are static. They are whatever the author fixed them at when the book was written. True values fluctuate over time. Knife values are dynamic. They change depending on the economy, collector fads, availability of raw materials (stag, pearl, etc), laws (ivory), inflation, and other variables.

A recent example: Case 63047, 1971-1979 dotted mint to near mint condition. Sargents Premium Guide to Knives and Razors 7th edition, published 2008 says value is $60. Pfeiffer’s Collecting Case Knives 2nd edition, published 2015 says value is $65. However three of them have sold on eBay in the past couple of weeks for between $42 and $48. So are they currently worth about $45, or $60, or $65?

EBay provides a wide audience of potential bidders, so its sold listings are a good resource for what buyers are willing to pay (in other words the true value) at the time of the auction. In other words, it’s a good place to get an idea of current prices. I do agree that eBay asking prices aren’t a good resource - you need to look at sold listings. On the other hand book value is the author’s educated opinion at the time the book was written - likely years ago.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

"There was a time when young people revered their elders. No one knows when this was." - Bill Heavey
https://www.akti.org/

User avatar
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 33967
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:23 am
Location: The middle of the top of a bastion of Liberalism.

Re: Is this a fair price on this Queen Folder?

Post by jerryd6818 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:12 pm

For me, value is assigned by the seller or someone else (in a book?), pre-sale.
Worth is what I or someone else is willing to pay for it.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012

User avatar
Steve Warden
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Posts: 4699
Joined: Wed May 27, 2015 4:18 pm
Location: Cherry Hill, NJ

Re: Is this a fair price on this Queen Folder?

Post by Steve Warden » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:05 pm

Value vs. Worth
Well said, Jerry.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)

User avatar
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 33967
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:23 am
Location: The middle of the top of a bastion of Liberalism.

Re: Is this a fair price on this Queen Folder?

Post by jerryd6818 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:28 pm

Thanks Steve.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012

Post Reply

Return to “Queen Cutlery Collector's Forum”