BEM?

The Queen Cutlery Company manufactured knives in Titusville Pennsylvania for 96 years. The company opened its only factory there in 1919 and commenced to make some of the best US crafted cutlery you will find. Unfortunately, the Titusville manufacturing plant closed down in 2018.
geocash
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: Southern Appalachian Mountains, outdoors preferably

BEM?

Post by geocash »

I have a Queen question. I'm not the first owner of this toothpick but I assume this box, which I got with it, is the correct box. So, is 20 BEM what was printed on the torn label & what does it stand for?
Queen BEMa.jpg
Queen BEMb.jpg
geocash
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: BEM?

Post by QTCut5 »

Although the pattern number (20) on the box label corresponds to the pattern number etched on the blade, I don't think that is the original box for the knife because BEM stands for "Birds Eye Maple" and your toothpick appears to have Amber Carved Stag Bone (ACSB) scales.

Just my guess...I could be wrong.

~Q~
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
geocash
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by geocash »

QTCut5 wrote:Although the pattern number (20) on the box label corresponds to the pattern number etched on the blade, I don't think that is the original box for the knife because BEM stands for "Birds Eye Maple" and your toothpick appears to have Amber Carved Stag Bone (ACSB) scales.

Just my guess...I could be wrong.

~Q~
Thanks, Q. Sure makes sense. I have another Queen with ACSB which is just like the bone on this toothpick. The box was a puzzle which I really appreciate you explaining. I feel better now.
geocash
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Glad I could help.

I like knowing what all the codes, abbreviations, pattern numbers, etc. stand for on the knives in my collection probably due to my OCD for logic and order.

And, now that I've done some telling, I think I'll do a little showing as well...why not?
Queen #51T BEM
Queen #51T BEM
Queen #51T ACSB
Queen #51T ACSB
~Q~

~Q~
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

QTCut5 wrote:Glad I could help.

I like knowing what all the codes, abbreviations, pattern numbers, etc. stand for on the knives in my collection probably due to my OCD for logic and order.

And, now that I've done some telling, I think I'll do a little showing as well...why not?

PA110044.JPGP5210010.JPG

~Q~

Q, I Don’t think there is a handle material that Queen did that looks better than that amber carved bone stag. Once I catch up and sell some knives, I am going to focus on buying more knives with that handle material. Absolutely gorgeous!
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
geocash
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by geocash »

QTCut5 wrote:Glad I could help.

PA110044.JPGP5210010.JPG

~Q~
Q, thanks for the pictures, too.
geocash
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:Q, I Don’t think there is a handle material that Queen did that looks better than that amber carved bone stag. Once I catch up and sell some knives, I am going to focus on buying more knives with that handle material. Absolutely gorgeous!
Mark, I have to agree with you, Queen really nailed it with the ACSB. But, I must warn you, once you get a taste for it...it's a slippery slope to full-blown addiction. ::nod::
PB030027.JPG
~Q~

~Q~
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

QTCut5 wrote:
Sharpnshinyknives wrote:Q, I Don’t think there is a handle material that Queen did that looks better than that amber carved bone stag. Once I catch up and sell some knives, I am going to focus on buying more knives with that handle material. Absolutely gorgeous!
Mark, I have to agree with you, Queen really nailed it with the ACSB. But, I must warn you, once you get a taste for it...it's a slippery slope to full-blown addiction. ::nod::

PB030027.JPG

~Q~
Q, I can believe that. I already have my watch list on Ebay full of these. Just doing some homework before I buy, but it’s already a big temptation to pull the trigger on every one of these I see.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
geocash
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by geocash »

I do think the ACSB is a great handle. Here's the OP toothpick, again, with the canoe I'd mentioned. If my photography doesn't entice you, wait until you get your hands on some.
Attachments
EDC112.jpg
geocash
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

This set of Rigid knives by Canal Street got my interest piqued. The seller told me that the amber bone stag on these came from Queen. I made this picture my screen saver. I can’t get enough of this handle material.
Attachments
IMG_0171.jpeg

Return to “Queen Cutlery Collector's Forum”