Old Queen questions

The Queen Cutlery Company manufactured knives in Titusville Pennsylvania for 96 years. The company opened its only factory there in 1919 and commenced to make some of the best US crafted cutlery you will find. Unfortunately, the Titusville manufacturing plant closed down in 2018.
Caseman601225

Old Queen questions

Post by Caseman601225 »

I recently acquired this pretty old thing and carry and use it proudly. I’ve done some searching on here and other sites but can’t find anything definitive so I hope someone here can help.

I think the stamp is from prior to 1955. The knife is carbon steel, and it’s my first Queen CS knife. Any idea what carbon they used? Sure took a shaving edge. Also, the bone is not apparently dyed or burnt. Is winterbottom the jigging pattern? The knife is 4” OAL with a 3” clip main blade best my aging eyes can measure. Is there a pattern list somewhere I could refer to?

Sorry for what are likely noob questions. I used to collect some S&M knives years back but never really had any older classics like this. Thanks in advance.
Attachments
9FE17ACD-C408-4897-98E4-6EA6E8AAF0A9.jpeg
9B3E6817-10AB-4F28-92A2-8C335AAE69FB.jpeg
CA7E399A-3710-4534-9A7C-18C2CBE0B586.jpeg
bdev

Re: Old Queen questions

Post by bdev »

Your knife is a pattern #9 and does have Winterbottom bone handles that have been "pocket worn" over the years. That tang stamp was used from 1945-55. The steel could be carbon but Queen was also using what they called "Queen Steel" which is a form of stainless. A catalog from that era should help with the steel type.
Queen City. My favorite! Bruno. ::tu::
Caseman601225

Post by Caseman601225 »

Thank you for the information. It’s definitely carbon. All blades have what appears to be some natural patina, but there’s been some rust as well. I’m pretty dang fond of this knife. I wonder why Queen was never very big down here (MS) in the Deep South. Growing up of course I knew Case and Schrade and Buck and the like, but I was seriously an adult before I ever heard of Queen knives. I’m sure I’ve owned knives made by Queen with stamps from other companies, but I didn’t know it at the time.
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

......where in miss. are you???...I'm from Tupelo!!!...... ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ..............
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Caseman601225 wrote:Thank you for the information. It’s definitely carbon. All blades have what appears to be some natural patina, but there’s been some rust as well. I’m pretty dang fond of this knife. I wonder why Queen was never very big down here (MS) in the Deep South. Growing up of course I knew Case and Schrade and Buck and the like, but I was seriously an adult before I ever heard of Queen knives. I’m sure I’ve owned knives made by Queen with stamps from other companies, but I didn’t know it at the time.
Ditto that. I never even heard of Queen until I was 44 years old.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

I never saw them growing up in California. The Northeast guys had all the fun!
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Caseman601225,
Queen was a regular brand when I was a kid, not near as popular as Case, probably equal to "Tree Brand" as the Bokers were called by the older fellers. The cow hunters, citrus men and most any red blooded man back in the day most always had one of those 3 in his pocket.
My love for Queen started when a widow woman traded me her husbands #39 for an antique drink bottle. Her brother had work at the local bottler when he was young and she wanted the almost rare drink bottle that I had found. :)
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

That's a great story Philip ::tu:: .
I'm 20 and found out about queens a few months ago. Besides GEC's they are my favorite knives. Still perty reasonable priced still, and great quality. I just got my mint Queen 1976 #39 folding hunter in, and boy is it a beast. I find the steel they used is super easy to sharpen, and the fake Winterbottom jigging makes for some grippy handle material. I would like to get me paws on a mint genuine Winterbottom stockman but they are few and far between (even on ebay).
And scoring reasonable priced ones lets me buy and sell them to fund my hobbies... :D. If anyone is ever on the lookout for some Queens, let me know as I keep a few on hand at all times.
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34

Return to “Queen Cutlery Collector's Forum”