Dates for "Robeson Mastercraft" by Queen?

The Queen Cutlery Company manufactured knives in Titusville Pennsylvania for 96 years. The company opened its only factory there in 1919 and commenced to make some of the best US crafted cutlery you will find. Unfortunately, the Titusville manufacturing plant closed down in 2018.
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Dates for "Robeson Mastercraft" by Queen?

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Does anyone know the date range for the knives made by Queen that were marked "Robeson / Mastercraft / U.S.A."?
20190930_213938.jpg
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Modern Slip Joints

Re: Dates for "Robeson Mastercraft" by Queen?

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

It is my understanding that all the Queen made Colonel Coon and Robeson knives were ordered by SMKW who still owns those brand names. If I recall correctly I saw the date that SMKW acquired the name Colonel Coon in the brand specific Colonel Coon sub-forum. I rarely read that sub-forum because of its focus on Coons that were actually made by Coon so it's been too long for me to be able to go right back to that information. I think the best answer you'll be able to find is the date SMKW acquired the Robeson brand name to the date Queen closed but SMKW might narrow the time frame if you ask the right person there.

Some SMKW/Queen/Robeson are etched Mastercraft and some not. I doubt having Mastercraft on them will help dating them.
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Thanks for the suggestion! I found this at the USPTO trademark database, which seems to indicate that Ontario Knife Company registered the Robeson trademark in 1995 and renewed in 2015.

Word Mark ROBESON
Goods and Services IC 008. US 023 028 044. G & S: cutlery; namely, pocket knives. FIRST USE: 18950000. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 18950000
Mark Drawing Code (1) TYPED DRAWING
Serial Number 74274667
Filing Date May 8, 1992
Current Basis 1A
Original Filing Basis 1A
Published for Opposition June 13, 1995
Registration Number 1915997
Registration Date September 5, 1995
Owner (REGISTRANT) Ontario Knife Company CORPORATION NEW YORK P.O. Box 145 Franklinville NEW YORK 14737
Attorney of Record Jeremy P. Oczek
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL-2(F)
Affidavit Text SECT 15. SECT 8 (6-YR). SECTION 8(10-YR) 20150905.
Renewal 2ND RENEWAL 20150905
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

There is also a filing for "Robeson Heirloom" by Ontario Knife Company in 2016.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

I was told that SMKW had an exclusive license from Ontario to use the Robeson name for so many years.I believe it has expired.
Roger

Return to “Queen Cutlery Collector's Forum”