My newest Queen

The Queen Cutlery Company manufactured knives in Titusville Pennsylvania for 96 years. The company opened its only factory there in 1919 and commenced to make some of the best US crafted cutlery you will find. Unfortunately, the Titusville manufacturing plant closed down in 2018.
GARRYOWEN83

My newest Queen

Post by GARRYOWEN83 »

IMG_20191101_104915649_HDR.jpg
IMG_20191101_104859377_HDR.jpg
IMG_20191101_104849634_HDR.jpg
"GARRYOWEN" is the spirit of the 7th Cavalry
XX Case XX

Re: My newest Queen

Post by XX Case XX »

That's real nice Garry. I think that knife will give you years of good solid service. No doubt about it.

________
Mike
"If there are no Dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went". Will Rogers

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

That is a nice one! From your pictures it appears to be real Winterbottom bone, is that correct? I've been using a #39 for many years. ::tu::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

For those of us not up on Queen markings, about how old is this Folding Hunter ? Are blades 440C stainless ?
kj
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

kj, the tang stamp chart shows this knife to be 1952-1955. The type of stainless, I don't know.
Treefarmer

GARRYOWEN83

Post by GARRYOWEN83 »

I dont know that much about knives but I always look for the sideways Q. I have my eyes on another one but i'll know Sunday night if Im lucky enough to get it.
"GARRYOWEN" is the spirit of the 7th Cavalry
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
brucegodlesky

Post by brucegodlesky »

440C
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

........if these had handles like my old Camillus, I would own one!!!........... ::tu:: ::tu:: ...................
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

You got a really good one there Gary ::tu:: . A early tang stamp, real Winterbottom bone, #39 in great condition, is a rare find indeed ::ds:: .
Good on ya mate!
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

The ladies of 2019. Hopefully more to come. ::hmm::
Attachments
20191206_175249.jpg
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Great lineup there Big H ::tu:: .
The barlow keeps on getting better every time I see it :D ::tu:: .
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Got a couple today. ::super_happy::
Attachments
20191212_153000.jpg
Daryl

Post by Daryl »

Nice!!!
knifegnome
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifegnome »

I picked up a Queen this weekend and would like to get an accurate date.It has the sideways Q which in the books dates it 1946-1948 but has the word stainless which mine does not. Goins book says a large Q with the crown has 7 dots between them and mine has 9 dots, thanks for any info you have.
Scott
Attachments
P3010915.JPG
P3010923.JPG
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

knifegnome, the tang stamp chart here on AAPK shows the sideways Q to be '52-'55. ::shrug::
Your knife really looked familiar so I looked and I have one very similar. The length of mine is 3 5/16", it too has what appears to be 9 dots above the Q. I think my knife is a pattern #3. The Queen catalog dated 1947 shows a different tang stamp on the #3 rather than the sideways Q.
I've not heard that Queen knives could be dated by the number of dots like the Case dating system, would love to know more about this.
This is my #3 with sideways Q:
006.JPG
Treefarmer

bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Pretty decent knife, could be 49 years old or 59 ::shrug::
Must of spent a lot of time in somebody's sock drawer.
Attachments
20200703_182629.jpg
TPK

Post by TPK »

Hello Fellow Queen Fans,

Finally got my very first Queen knife this week. ::groove:: ::ds:: It was gifted to me from my Buddy John (1967redrider). We are both from the same hometown in MD. ::nod:: Goooooo Fort Hill!!! ::tu:: LOL! :lol:

So anyways, it's a nice Barlow with enclosed springs. (Also my first knife with enclosed springs.) ::tu::
The blade etching reads "Queen Steel #22" and it's stamped "PAT. NO. 2728139". It's a beautiful light weight Barlow & I'm sure these "Bad Boys" make for a great EDC! ::tu:: Beings this is the one & only Queen in my collection so far, ::hmm:: this one will be in my little showcase for the meantime or until further notice. ::nod:: ::super_happy::

I have a few questions & if anyone would like to share their wisdom on any of them with me I'd greatly appreciate it! ::handshake:: ::nod:: Would save me the time of researching them if anyone wants to chime in with the answers. ::super_happy::

I'm curious to know..., ::hmm::

1) In what timeframe roughly, were these #22 Queens produced? Or does the stamp indicate a timeframe?

2) Did they make these with other handle materials? Like Stag, Black Derlin, MOP ::shrug::

3) Did any other cutlery manufacturers also make knives with enclosed springs?

4) Were there any Schatt & Morgan knives made with enclosed springs?

5) Did Queen make any other pattern #'s with enclosed springs?

I'm curious about all this stuff because I'm always looking for new ideas for small collections of similar knives. For example Queen #22's with different handle materials. Or maybe knives with enclosed springs. ::shrug::

Thanks in advanced for your comments, Thanks for looking at the pictures & Thanks again to you John! ::tu::
I'm very proud & lucky to own this wonderful piece of Queen Cutlery History! ::super_happy::
Attachments
IMG_20200730_102749.jpg
IMG_20200730_102521.jpg
IMG_20200730_102553.jpg
IMG_20200730_102706.jpg
IMG_20200730_102917.jpg
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
bdev

Post by bdev »

1) In what timeframe roughly, were these #22 Queens produced? Or does the stamp indicate a timeframe?
1961-71

2) Did they make these with other handle materials? Like Stag, Black Derlin, MOP.
I don't believe the #22 was made with any other handle.

Don't know.

Don't believe so.

Yes. The #45 Big Chief and the #23 Barlow which used a spear blade instead of a clip like your #22. Also the #27 which was a sheepfoot barlow. I don't recall any others.
Queen City. My favorite! Bruno. ::tu::
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Congratulations on your 1st Queen, Tom!
Bruno (bdev) has always helped me figure out Queen issues and believe me they are a bit confusing. I'm not contradicting Bruno's response to your valid questions but will add a bit more that I have just discovered this evening by going through the Queen catalogs that are on line.

It seems the #22 with the Aluminum frame was still pictured in the 2002 catalog. In earlier catalogs, the #22 Barlow is shown with real bone handles with 4 pins showing in the handles, then as the concept of the Aluminum closed frame was introduced, the #22 was included in that offering.

The Aluminum frame #22's only have 2 pins showing in the handles, they appear to be identical in shape and size, have the same pattern number and blades but are totally different. The earlier #22 has brass liners and one in the center between the two blades. The best I could gather, there were, in addition to the #45 and it's various models, six Queens Barlows made with the aluminum closed frame, 22,23,25,27 and two single blade patterns, the #60 and the 60SH. The last available catalog, 2017, shows the Queen Barlow with a totally different pattern number, #69 ::shrug:: and it seems to be a traditional frame.
The blade offering of the main blade was clip, spear, one hand opening and sheep foot.
Here's are pictures showing some of the differences:
Queen Barlows, check out the difference 4 pins vs 2 pins same size and shape but really quite different.  The one arm knife (center) just showed up recently thanks to Stanwade.
Queen Barlows, check out the difference 4 pins vs 2 pins same size and shape but really quite different. The one arm knife (center) just showed up recently thanks to Stanwade.
Tang stamps side ways Q '51-'54 other two are "76.  The red one was rehandled thanks to Jerryd.
Tang stamps side ways Q '51-'54 other two are "76. The red one was rehandled thanks to Jerryd.
Hope this helps a bit.
Treefarmer

Gone2Three
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Gone2Three »

Just posted on the Finds of the day thread about this amazing find! Couldn't be more giddy about bringing it home ::woot::
Now all I have to do is figure out what model I found ::hmm:: it's an old one

Ps, this thread makes me drool.... you all have posted some beautiful Queen knives ::tu::
Attachments
20200801_204237.jpg
20200801_204116.jpg
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

What is the closed length of the Queen City? Are the bolsters the same size, I can't quite tell from the picture? Maybe we can come up with a pattern #.
Treefarmer

TPK

Post by TPK »

bdev wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:15 am 1) In what timeframe roughly, were these #22 Queens produced? Or does the stamp indicate a timeframe?
1961-71

2) Did they make these with other handle materials? Like Stag, Black Derlin, MOP.
I don't believe the #22 was made with any other handle.

Don't know.

Don't believe so.

Yes. The #45 Big Chief and the #23 Barlow which used a spear blade instead of a clip like your #22. Also the #27 which was a sheepfoot barlow. I don't recall any others.
Thanks for your time & all the great input Bruno. ::handshake:: I really appreciate it! ::tu:: ::nod::
So the 45, 23 & 27 have also been made with enclosed springs. That would make a nice little collection If you could pick up one of each. ::hmm:: Thanks again for this food for thought! ::hmm:: ::super_happy::

TPK

Post by TPK »

treefarmer wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:45 am Congratulations on your 1st Queen, Tom!
Bruno (bdev) has always helped me figure out Queen issues and believe me they are a bit confusing. I'm not contradicting Bruno's response to your valid questions but will add a bit more that I have just discovered this evening by going through the Queen catalogs that are on line.

It seems the #22 with the Aluminum frame was still pictured in the 2002 catalog. In earlier catalogs, the #22 Barlow is shown with real bone handles with 4 pins showing in the handles, then as the concept of the Aluminum closed frame was introduced, the #22 was included in that offering.

The Aluminum frame #22's only have 2 pins showing in the handles, they appear to be identical in shape and size, have the same pattern number and blades but are totally different. The earlier #22 has brass liners and one in the center between the two blades. The best I could gather, there were, in addition to the #45 and it's various models, six Queens Barlows made with the aluminum closed frame, 22,23,25,27 and two single blade patterns, the #60 and the 60SH. The last available catalog, 2017, shows the Queen Barlow with a totally different pattern number, #69 ::shrug:: and it seems to be a traditional frame.
The blade offering of the main blade was clip, spear, one hand opening and sheep foot.
Here's are pictures showing some of the differences:010.JPG011.JPG

Hope this helps a bit.
Treefarmer
Hi Philip,
::hmm:: So in addition to the 22,23,45, & 27, there was also the 25 and two single blade patterns, the #60 and the #60SH.
::hmm::
So it's #22, #23, #25, #27, #45, #60 & #60SH. Put all these together, & it ends with an "SH" meaning, This is a collection all Queen Fans "Should Have" :mrgreen:

Looks like you have a nice start on this already treefarmer! ::tu:: That one with bone :shock: is an exceptionally fine example of Queen's History! ::tu:: What a beautiful piece of cutlery! ::nod:: Congrats on having found that one! It's awesome! ::super_happy::

Thanks for your time & the additional information. ::handshake:: I appreciate all the help! ::nod:: ::super_happy::
YF,
Tom

TPK

Post by TPK »

Gone2Three wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:00 am Just posted on the Finds of the day thread about this amazing find! Couldn't be more giddy about bringing it home ::woot::
Now all I have to do is figure out what model I found ::hmm:: it's an old one

Ps, this thread makes me drool.... you all have posted some beautiful Queen knives ::tu::
Congrats on that one! ::handshake:: It's a real Beauty! ::nod:: ::super_happy::

Return to “Queen Cutlery Collector's Forum”