My newest Queen

The Queen Cutlery Company manufactured knives in Titusville Pennsylvania for 96 years. The company opened its only factory there in 1919 and commenced to make some of the best US crafted cutlery you will find. Unfortunately, the Titusville manufacturing plant closed down in 2018.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: My newest Queen

Post by QTCut5 »

I already had one of these Queen City Cozy Glen Classic Mini Trappers, and I managed to pick up another one. Since Ken Daniels made only 100 of these (in 2005, before starting GEC) I guess that means I now own 2% of the world's total number of this knife: two down, ninety-eight more to go! :)

P2130034.JPG
P2130038.JPG
P2130035.JPG
P2130043.JPG
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

yep I was.

Harold
TPK

Post by TPK »

QTCut5 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:17 pm I already had one of these Queen City Cozy Glen Classic Mini Trappers, and I managed to pick up another one. Since Ken Daniels made only 100 of these (in 2005, before starting GEC) I guess that means I now own 2% of the world's total number of this knife: two down, ninety-eight more to go! :)
Beautiful knives Q! I love em! ::tu:: ::nod:: :D
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
Gone2Three
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Gone2Three »

Those are absolutely gorgeous Q ! ::tu::
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Lovely Q, especially like the wood. ::nod:: ::nod::
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

QTCut5 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:17 pm I already had one of these Queen City Cozy Glen Classic Mini Trappers, and I managed to pick up another one. Since Ken Daniels made only 100 of these (in 2005, before starting GEC) I guess that means I now own 2% of the world's total number of this knife: two down, ninety-eight more to go! :)

P2130034.JPGP2130038.JPGP2130035.JPGP2130043.JPG
Excellent "Q". Awesome scales and love the Acorn Shield. ::tu:: ::tu::
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

QTCut5 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:43 am
bighomer wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:12 pm 20201226_090049.jpg
I REALLY like the last two...Great Scores on both of them!! ::tu:: ::tu::

Curious about your assessment of the "new Queen" Trapper. Hopefully, it's better than the black Mini Trapper that was released earlier ::hmm::
Q I missed this somehow, to answer your guestion, I'd rate it right up there with the RR knives I have. I'm not impressed with the Bear and sons that I've handled.
I bought my wife one of the Queen city leg knives that I firmly believe came from them RR factory, and honestly the f&f,snap and feel is is better at less than half the money.ymmv
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

2001 Moore Maker #5304 4 5/* Trapper by Queen. I was looking at Moore Maker knives, and saw the (to me, inflated) secondary market prices of used ones on that auction site earlier this week. I happened upon this one for $40 shipped. Didn't really know what size it was. It looked to be in good shape, was obviously Queen-made, and had bone handles. I happened to have $10 in rewards points, which brought the price down to $30.

I have a Queen-made 2015 #3201LL that was a post-closure sale knife, and it's a huge POS. The wobble is bad, the lock doesn't really work due to not mating the surfaces properly, and the lock itself seems to be made out of pot metal, as it is not springy at all. I have a Bear-made Moore Maker, and it's a near POS as well. This knife on the other hand, safe to say, quite possibly, the best knife I own. The quality is great--smooth action (still need to get some crud out of the spey pivot) and some really strong springs. Also dual pinned shields (the pile side scale has a blank shield that serves as an engraving panel).

First thoughts--it's a monster. The Wostenholm Texas Stock Knife (the very next knife I'm buying), I believe, at 5" is the largest (quality) Stockman ever built, but at 4 3/8" the #5304 isn't far behind.

Condition-wise, I can tell it has been someone's workhorse for twenty odd years. They didn't baby it, they didn't abuse it. They just used it like it was intended. The worst problems are a slightly rounded tip (it's still pointy enough) and a small chip in the pile side scale.

I cleaned and oiled it, and gave the blades each 5-6 strokes on my ceramic pocket stone and stopped on a chunk of a smooth leather belt I made into a strop. The edges weren't wrecked and weren't blunt. They were slightly dull, but that was it. I think I should refine them just a bit more, but I have a working edge on the blades. Just enough to cut paper. That's gonna have to wait until I clean my clogged hard Arkansas.

KIMG3694.JPG
KIMG3695.JPG

I've also learned only 100 were made in 2001. Originally, it was jigged bone, but use has worn them down. Said to be yellow, but more like golden yellow to me.
s-l1000.jpg
phil0175
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by phil0175 »

cody6268 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:59 pm 2001 Moore Maker #5304 4 5/* Trapper by Queen.

That’s a neat old knife. It still has plenty of life left! Great pickup!!! :D ::tu::
Phil
phil0175
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by phil0175 »

Good evening everyone. These came in the mail yesterday. After I picked up the mail yesterday evening, I grabbed a cup of coffee to enjoy while I opened the parcel. Well, first thing I noticed was a knife I didn’t order. Finally got everything opened up and looked over both of these old war horses. I figured the seller had made a mistake, and didn’t want to have a knife some other knife enthusiast had ordered. Sent the seller a message and told them I was most pleased with the yellow Queen, but they packed two Queens. I also said I would ship the 11EO back if they needed me to. The seller responded later on today it was a gift! Wow! Made the Sunday even better! Hope everyone has had a restful weekend.
Phil
Attachments
163B4975-9E5A-4D6D-8943-A4D289D257EC.jpeg
BFB7A44C-F4FA-444E-AE1D-774789320392.jpeg
E2E2DA64-A66E-485A-9DD9-B745DE14210E.jpeg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Generous seller. Congrats. ::tu::
phil0175
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by phil0175 »

doglegg wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:51 am Generous seller. Congrats. ::tu::
Agreed!!!!!!! :D ::tu::
Phil
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

cody6268 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:59 pm 2001 Moore Maker #5304 4 5/* Trapper by Queen. I was looking at Moore Maker knives, and saw the (to me, inflated) secondary market prices of used ones on that auction site earlier this week. I happened upon this one for $40 shipped. Didn't really know what size it was. It looked to be in good shape, was obviously Queen-made, and had bone handles. I happened to have $10 in rewards points, which brought the price down to $30.

I have a Queen-made 2015 #3201LL that was a post-closure sale knife, and it's a huge POS. The wobble is bad, the lock doesn't really work due to not mating the surfaces properly, and the lock itself seems to be made out of pot metal, as it is not springy at all. I have a Bear-made Moore Maker, and it's a near POS as well. This knife on the other hand, safe to say, quite possibly, the best knife I own. The quality is great--smooth action (still need to get some crud out of the spey pivot) and some really strong springs. Also dual pinned shields (the pile side scale has a blank shield that serves as an engraving panel).

First thoughts--it's a monster. The Wostenholm Texas Stock Knife (the very next knife I'm buying), I believe, at 5" is the largest (quality) Stockman ever built, but at 4 3/8" the #5304 isn't far behind.

Condition-wise, I can tell it has been someone's workhorse for twenty odd years. They didn't baby it, they didn't abuse it. They just used it like it was intended. The worst problems are a slightly rounded tip (it's still pointy enough) and a small chip in the pile side scale.

I cleaned and oiled it, and gave the blades each 5-6 strokes on my ceramic pocket stone and stopped on a chunk of a smooth leather belt I made into a strop. The edges weren't wrecked and weren't blunt. They were slightly dull, but that was it. I think I should refine them just a bit more, but I have a working edge on the blades. Just enough to cut paper. That's gonna have to wait until I clean my clogged hard Arkansas.

KIMG3694.JPG

KIMG3695.JPG

I've also learned only 100 were made in 2001. Originally, it was jigged bone, but use has worn them down. Said to be yellow, but more like golden yellow to me.

s-l1000.jpg
Excellent! I’ve been looking for one of those since learning about them a few weeks ago. They look like a fine working knife.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

phil0175 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:41 am Good evening everyone. These came in the mail yesterday. After I picked up the mail yesterday evening, I grabbed a cup of coffee to enjoy while I opened the parcel. Well, first thing I noticed was a knife I didn’t order. Finally got everything opened up and looked over both of these old war horses. I figured the seller had made a mistake, and didn’t want to have a knife some other knife enthusiast had ordered. Sent the seller a message and told them I was most pleased with the yellow Queen, but they packed two Queens. I also said I would ship the 11EO back if they needed me to. The seller responded later on today it was a gift! Wow! Made the Sunday even better! Hope everyone has had a restful weekend.
Phil
::tu::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

phil0175 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:41 am Good evening everyone. These came in the mail yesterday. After I picked up the mail yesterday evening, I grabbed a cup of coffee to enjoy while I opened the parcel. Well, first thing I noticed was a knife I didn’t order. Finally got everything opened up and looked over both of these old war horses. I figured the seller had made a mistake, and didn’t want to have a knife some other knife enthusiast had ordered. Sent the seller a message and told them I was most pleased with the yellow Queen, but they packed two Queens. I also said I would ship the 11EO back if they needed me to. The seller responded later on today it was a gift! Wow! Made the Sunday even better! Hope everyone has had a restful weekend.
Phil
KNICE still some good dudes in this ole 🌎 congrats.
Phil them ole #11's are good knives. 👍
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Wonder if ole Smokey knows about these, better knives than the B&S knives in my humble opinion. 🤔
Attachments
20210305_144202.jpg
phil0175
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by phil0175 »

bighomer wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:53 pm
Phil
KNICE still some good dudes in this ole 🌎 congrats.
Phil them ole #11's are good knives. 👍
Sometimes when we see how crazy and mean the world has become, it is nice to see there are good folks still around. ::tu:: ::handshake::
Phil
phil0175
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by phil0175 »

bighomer wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:57 pm Wonder if ole Smokey knows about these, better knives than the B&S knives in my humble opinion. 🤔
I like those!! Nice!!!!! :D ::tu:: ::handshake::
Phil
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

bighomer wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:57 pm Wonder if ole Smokey knows about these, better knives than the B&S knives in my humble opinion. 🤔
Arguably, yes. I prefer USA made. I have about 6 Bear and Son knives, and at the very least they have really ugly cosmetic issues (scraped handle from sanding belt, burned blade tip on a Moore Maker, which also recently developed wobble in 3 1/2 months as a light-duty home EDC), and some have issues so bad, they are accidents waiting to happen. Yet out of that same number of Rough Riders, minor, barely noticeable cosmetic issues are the worst.
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

For me my first Queen a 9140 from 83 I've allways liked Gunstocks and she was priced right.I do have a question.
Does the tand stamp look right? The tang crown doesn't match the tang chart.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
bdev

Post by bdev »

garddogg56 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:49 am For me my first Queen a 9140 from 83 I've allways liked Gunstocks and she was priced right.I do have a question.
The tang stamp is correct. The chart is not complete.
Queen City. My favorite! Bruno. ::tu::
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

garddogg56 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:49 am For me my first Queen a 9140 from 83 I've allways liked Gunstocks and she was priced right.I do have a question.
See top of right hand side column
Queen-tang-guide-sheet2.jpg

~Q~
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Thanx guys ::handshake:: the chart I saw was different
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Another #51T for my Mini-T pile. This one has a brown Winterbottom Delrin handle and, according to the chart, was made 2002-2018.
P3050023.JPG
P3050029.JPG
P3050024.JPG
P3050022.JPG

~Q~
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Another #51, but this one is a bit older (1955-1957) and has a genuine Winterbottom Bone handle. (Also a bit more mileage under the hood...although both blades still have decent snap.)
P4030001.JPG
P4030003.JPG
P4030005.JPG
P4030004.JPG
P4030002.JPG

~Q~

Return to “Queen Cutlery Collector's Forum”