Q steel fixed blades quality in comparison to others ?

The Queen Cutlery Company manufactured knives in Titusville Pennsylvania for 96 years. The company opened its only factory there in 1919 and commenced to make some of the best US crafted cutlery you will find. Unfortunately, the Titusville manufacturing plant closed down in 2018.
67cuda

Q steel fixed blades quality in comparison to others ?

Post by 67cuda »

Can anyone tell me what the steel of the 58-60 Queen steel fixed blades are like ? I’ve read their history, seen the stamps, and know they were the first to fully market stainless steel, but what was that steel like ? Sharpness, edge retention, durability, and so in comparison to other knives of the time ? Would a good 58-60 model make a for a good hunting knife ? I’m just unfamiliar with the brand, and the old stainless steel has me in question ? User friendly, or just collectibles ?
XX Case XX

Re: Q steel fixed blades quality in comparison to others ?

Post by XX Case XX »

I've never owned a Queen Fixed Blade, but I have looked at a few and handled them as well. As far as I'm concerned, they were respectable knives made with good steel that could be used for just about anything. Kind of like Case Fixed Blades. Just a good "all around" knife at a fair price.

I don't think you could go wrong with any of them.

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

IMHO the Queen steel of the 50's was superior to all other knife companies stainless steel. Ymmv.
::handshake::
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

As far as I know, all Queen Steel was 440C from the early 50's through the late 70's.
JACK OF ALL TIRADES

Post by JACK OF ALL TIRADES »

I found two thin steak knives and are definitely favorites. I tried to research them and it seemed like 2002 or so. Stag or Winterbottom handles and great steel that sharpens nicely with a steel.Just awesome knives.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Yup, I second what all the fellers have said ::nod:: .
Queen knives are some of the best production knives to have come out of the USA, in the last 100 years. Especially anything before the 90's, they just seem to have a charm about them that's hard to describe. I especially love Winterbottom bone, imitation or real, that stirs the pot with collectors. Either you love the stuff, or hate it, there's no middle road :roll: .
:lol:

Now what have I done! Starting to read the queen forums, getting that itch again... ::facepalm::

Blame it on you guys ::poke:: , and my obsession with the 76' tang stamp :roll: .

:lol:

Good stuff fellers ::tu:: .
Willy :D
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34

Return to “Queen Cutlery Collector's Forum”