Is There a new Queen?

The Queen Cutlery Company manufactured knives in Titusville Pennsylvania for 96 years. The company opened its only factory there in 1919 and commenced to make some of the best US crafted cutlery you will find. Unfortunately, the Titusville manufacturing plant closed down in 2018.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Is There a new Queen?

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

I just got an email from SMKW about a pilot test run for a Queen mini trapper w/ black synthetic handles. The website says it’s USA made. Is Queen reopened or did someone just buy the name? Anybody heard anything about this?
Here is the link https://www.smkw.com/queen-black-compos ... alog-Email
Attachments
IMG_0306.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Is There a new Queen?

Post by doglegg »

I was glad to see that it said that it was American made. Practical looking little knife. ::nod::
eveled

Post by eveled »

I’ll believe it when I see a picture of the factory.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

My guess is that Bear made these. The nail nick doesn’t look the same as on a Bear mini trapper, but the shape is the same. I guess I will reserve judgement until we find out who made these and someone has bought one and reports back. Until then, I sure am not interested. A Bear by any other name is still a Bear, if it’s made by them that is.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Bear usually glues the covers on, this one is pinned.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
TPK

Post by TPK »

::hmm:: I wonder why they, whoever "Queen" now is, would try to make a come back with a "Plain Jane"? Wouldn't you want something a little more spectacular like Stag or at least some Queen Winterbottom Bone? It's a nice looking knife, don't get me wrong. I like it. I would just expect an eye catching knife to get a brand name like Queen back on the map. ::shrug::
Just my first thoughts. :D Maybe I just don't understand enough about knife production. Maybe they need a "Plain Jane" at the start untill they get all the bugs out of the production line. That could make sense. ::hmm::

And Thanks for the Info & Link Mark! ::handshake:: :D
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Some where in the Queen or Schatt Morgan forum this has been discussed . Here's what I think I know at the Queen Auction a Neighbor & friend to Blue Grass Cutlery Bought the Name and some of the equipment and brought it back to Blue Grass Cutlery to start production in the spring of this year . Total USA Made from what he promised . to bad they went to SMK thats just me .
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Thanks Gary, I am more likely to give these a chance knowing this. I agree w/ Tom that black composite handles aren’t the way to make a good first impression. I would have thought they would have used Winterbottom bone. That would have evoked the Queen of old. Maybe that’s coming? I am glad to see these are made in the USA. Too many great brands have been cheapened by Chinese manufacturing.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Great start to the new knives! $40 is a VERY reasonable price point; especially if Blue Grass is making them by themselves. Though, I'd rather have had that zippered pouch swapped out for a slip or a belt sheath. Delrin is perfectly fine from a user standpoint; though Winterbottom pattern would look better; and is well, what I expect to see on a Queen.

I do not like the etch in place of a tang stamp. Noticed that's happening a lot. I've seen laser etched markings that are deeper than tang stamps, however. And I guess, to an extent, it's easier, and more versatile than having stamps, since all that's required is changing a program in a machine should a private label customer order some with their name; as opposed to machining a new stamp and setting it up. From a manufacturing standpoint, it's a reduction in overhead and maintenance, as well as more inventory room due to not having to store a ton of different stamps. Thus, a win-win.

Hope to see more patterns in the future--i.e. fullsize Trapper and Medium Stockman.
TPK

Post by TPK »

Thanks for the Info Gary. ::handshake::

$40 is a fair price if the quality is good. It would make a nice EDC in my opinion. I just wish they, and every other cutlery maker, would integrate an exact dating system & a "USA" into their stamps. If they are laser etched, it would be almost Zero effort to do so. I for one, like knowing what year a knife was produced in. I am also proud of a "USA" on a stamp. But that's just my opinion. ::tu::

One question. If the "Queen" brand becomes a renowned brand as it once was, will these first run knives be of a higher value? Say in 20 or 30 years. I'm asking because, if & when I were to purchase one, ::hmm:: would it be dumb to use it or smarter to put it in my showcase & just admire it. Meaning, what are the chances of this knife going up in value? ::shrug::

You who have been collecting for many years, or who buy & sell knives, would be able to make a better educated guess at this question than me. ::tu::

Thanks for any responses on this burning question. ::handshake:: :D I appreciate it! ::tu::

Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Tom, it’s a wait and see situation. I would say that these will not increase in value. Unless and until the new Queen does something to limit production like GEC, or has something unique or of higher quality, these will be worth less right after you buy them. Starting out selling through SMKW is not a good sign. SMKW likes to sell a lot at a cheap price. So I would imagine that they are going to be cranking these out and it will flood the market and prices will fall. We have to wait and see what Queen does along these lines to know for sure.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Bluegrass has nothing to do with this knife.Rumor has it that Gilbert Cooper who bought the trademarks of Queen and Schatt & Morgan,sold the Queen name to SMKW.
Bluegrass Cutlery is owned and operated by Tim Scott.
Roger
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

edge213 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:29 pm Bear usually glues the covers on, this one is pinned.

I agree; however Bear does sometimes pin the handles - look at the knives that Bear makes for Moore Maker (they all have a "B" after the pattern number).

I tired to post a photo from the Moore Maker web site, but they have it locked so that you cannot copy photos.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

knifeaholic wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:40 pm
edge213 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:29 pm Bear usually glues the covers on, this one is pinned.

I agree; however Bear does sometimes pin the handles - look at the knives that Bear makes for Moore Maker (they all have a "B" after the pattern number).

I tired to post a photo from the Moore Maker web site, but they have it locked so that you cannot copy photos.
Steve, thanks for the clarification.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
TPK

Post by TPK »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:22 am Tom, it’s a wait and see situation. I would say that these will not increase in value. Unless and until the new Queen does something to limit production like GEC, or has something unique or of higher quality, these will be worth less right after you buy them. Starting out selling through SMKW is not a good sign. SMKW likes to sell a lot at a cheap price. So I would imagine that they are going to be cranking these out and it will flood the market and prices will fall. We have to wait and see what Queen does along these lines to know for sure.
Ok Thanks Mark! ::handshake:: ::super_happy::

bighomer

Post by bighomer »

20200430_173233.jpg
Attachments
20200430_172420.jpg
20200430_172047.jpg
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

That's a nice looking knife Biggy, kudos to them for selling a new USA made knife for so reasonable ::tu:: .
Yup peanut740 is correct, Gilbert Cooper went and purchased all the machines, tooling, dies, trademarks at the Queen auction last year. He popped in to the forums around the time I was running the idea of my own cutlery company. He's moved everything to Winchester OH, and hopefully, starting production this year. I didn't know he sold the Queen name to smkw, thanks for the update Roger ::tu:: .
Willy :D
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
nifbuf

Post by nifbuf »

A recent short article about this knife and the
new Queen venture is poster on the Queen Cutlery History website. https://queencutleryhistory.com

"New Queen Pilot Test Run Mini Trapper"
David Clark
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Thanks for posting that David. I thought Bear would be the maker of these. Maybe this will be the thing to bring Bear up to a better standard, who knows.

Return to “Queen Cutlery Collector's Forum”