What examples of S&M forgeries are out there?

The Queen Cutlery Company manufactured knives in Titusville Pennsylvania for 96 years. The company opened its only factory there in 1919 and commenced to make some of the best US crafted cutlery you will find. Unfortunately, the Titusville manufacturing plant closed down in 2018.
CampbellAr2

What examples of S&M forgeries are out there?

Post by CampbellAr2 »

Thinking I need to learn some more about what recent forgery efforts are out there.......

Recently bought a 2009 042101 2bladed Trapper at a great price on eBay, Numbered as "1 of 100" but am now thinking I wasn't so lucky. In researching more about the pattern,, I found another ebay listing for what appears to be the same knife from another ebay seller.....WITH THE SAME NUMBERING ( 1 of 100)

The original ebay item # for what I purchased was 193551056536, so you can see what I was looking at it ebay before the purchase.

Would certainly appreciate any tips or thoughts to confirm this authenticity, as well as see some more recent examples of fakery the community is seeing out there

Thanks
Ed
Attachments
S&M_042101.jpg
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: What examples of S&M forgeries are out there?

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Maybe it is just saying that the knife you have is one of one hundred made and that is not a serial number. That is there is no two of one hundred, three of one hundred etc. Their way of saying that there was only 100 made. Just a possibility.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

CampbellAr2 wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:05 pm Thinking I need to learn some more about what recent forgery efforts are out there.......

Recently bought a 2009 042101 2bladed Trapper at a great price on eBay, Numbered as "1 of 100" but am now thinking I wasn't so lucky. In researching more about the pattern,, I found another ebay listing for what appears to be the same knife from another ebay seller.....WITH THE SAME NUMBERING ( 1 of 100)

The original ebay item # for what I purchased was 193551056536, so you can see what I was looking at it ebay before the purchase.

Would certainly appreciate any tips or thoughts to confirm this authenticity, as well as see some more recent examples of fakery the community is seeing out there

Thanks
Ed

From the picture I would say this knife is okay.
Having said that, I would say be careful when buying any of the newer Queen and S&M it looks like some are being made from parts after the bankruptcy.
I saw some right after the closure where the fit and finish was horrible.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
bdev

Post by bdev »

Your knife is not a fake. Queen (S&M) made 100 of that pattern and you have 1 of the 100 made.
Queen City. My favorite! Bruno. ::tu::
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Yep, SFO. To me it doesn't look much like a Sowbelly but that's what they're calling it soooooo......

#042101 Swaybelly Trapper 100 made 420HC
Golden
Caramel
Root Beer
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Here is an S&M that seems to fit into the forgery category:
001.JPG
006.JPG
It could be called Moose because of the blade configuration but it doesn't show up any where as a knife that was produced while Queen was still operating. A "put together from parts" with a pull that would break your thumb nail. :( Thanks to some good advice from the some of our knowledgeable knifers, the effort it takes to open the "well made forgery" is now a bit easier to open. ::nod::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
CampbellAr2

Post by CampbellAr2 »

Thanks for all the feedback! Appears I'll be on the learning curve for a while

Fit and finish have been my biggest checkoffs of past purchases, but appreciate the reminder on the pull Treefarmer.

Ed

Return to “Queen Cutlery Collector's Forum”