Queen #44 Question

The Queen Cutlery Company manufactured knives in Titusville Pennsylvania for 96 years. The company opened its only factory there in 1919 and commenced to make some of the best US crafted cutlery you will find. Unfortunately, the Titusville manufacturing plant closed down in 2018.
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Queen #44 Question

Post by KLJ77 »

Hey Queen guru's...got an interesting question about a Queen #44 folding hunter I picked up today. Now, I'm NOT a Queen aficionado by any means...I only own one other very nice Queen fixed blade. However, I stopped by an auction business today looking for a reasonably priced knife to keep around in the garage when woodworking or doing odd & ends. I came across this 1976 Queen #44 in decent shape, albeit, the blade looks as though someone tried to sharpen it with sandpaper. The stag is in really good shape and only has one very tiny chip on the backside. There are some dings on the brass liner and some minor scratches, which is expected for a 44 yo knife. I would guess it is in somewhat excellent condition. ::shrug::

The question I have is: In looking at the Queen City date chart, I noticed that all the "dots" between the crown and the 'Q' are seven dots, no matter what year. But this knife I got, has 9 dots between the crown and the Q. Did I pick up a counterfeit #44? Or is this unusual, unique, different? Is it a 'user', or should I put it away?

Thanks for any insight.

Edit: Found my own answer here: https://queencutleryhistory.com/wp-cont ... ide_V5.pdf Seems the 9 dots were indicative of the 1976 stamp.
Attachments
DSCF2638.jpeg
DSCF2645.jpeg
DSCF2640.jpeg
DSCF2642.jpeg
DSCF2652.jpeg
DSCF2649.jpeg
DSCF2648.jpeg
DSCF2674.jpeg
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Queen #44 Question

Post by treefarmer »

If we were at home, I could post a picture of an older 44 with real Winterbottom bone handles. The one you pictured appears to be genuine. The handles are Delrin and are known as imitation Winterbottom. Don’t let that bother you, they are tough as nails. The 44 is the same as the #39 which is a folding hunter with 2 blades, the frames are the same. 76 is the year of mfg. I don’t believe the dots have any significance like the Case knives.
Sharpen it up and enjoy a tough, heavy duty knife! ::tu::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Thanks Philip for your insight. ::handshake:: I posted an 'edit' to my OP. I believe it was a link you posted in another thread.

So, the "Genuine Frontier bone stag handle" statement in the brochure that came with the knife is not true? Is that just a 'play on words' for Delrin imitation Winterbottom? It's no big deal one way or the other, just wondering why it would state that. ::hmm:: I'll take your advice and make a project user out of it. ::tu::
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

I might get criticized for this but I like Queen's Imitation Winterbottom better than the real stuff. There's just something about it.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

No criticism from this camp! My 1st Queen was a #39 with imitation Winterbottom handles. It was used when I got it and that was quite a few years back. The old knife is like the proverbial Timex, takes a lickin’ And keeps on tickin’! ::tu::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.

Return to “Queen Cutlery Collector's Forum”