Barlow Question

The Queen Cutlery Company manufactured knives in Titusville Pennsylvania for 96 years. The company opened its only factory there in 1919 and commenced to make some of the best US crafted cutlery you will find. Unfortunately, the Titusville manufacturing plant closed down in 2018.
cody6268

Barlow Question

Post by cody6268 »

I am curious, when did Queen discontinue the patented interframe Barlow design (as seen on the #22 Barlow and #49 Big Chief) in favor of a more traditional design? I know when Queen was in business, they were showing the interframe design in catalogs in the 1990s; but the ones being sold at that time (a couple years before they went out of business) were of the more traditional design that had three pins and separate bolsters and liners.
Ridgegrass

Re: Barlow Question

Post by Ridgegrass »

Cody, Can't say when they were discontinued. I have this #22 pattern dated 1992. The #45 Big Chief has no date, just patent # 2728139 and looks much older. ::shrug:: Good luck. J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_2836.jpg
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Fellers the patent number for the knives in question is #2728139. A man by the name of Eric Erickson applied for the patent using the style of frame construction that is used with the #45 Big Chief and several of the small Queen Barlow models had the same construction, the ones with the closed up aluminium frame.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Ridgegrass wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:06 pm Cody, Can't say when they were discontinued. I have this #22 pattern dated 1992. The #45 Big Chief has no date, just patent # 2728139 and looks much older. ::shrug:: Good luck. J.O'.
The #22 last showed up in the Queen Catalogs in the 2002-2003 Annual Catalog. The Big Chief Series was continued in production until 2008, at least they were still in the Catalog.
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty

Return to “Queen Cutlery Collector's Forum”