Why do you have interest in older Queen knives?

The Queen Cutlery Company manufactured knives in Titusville Pennsylvania for 96 years. The company opened its only factory there in 1919 and commenced to make some of the best US crafted cutlery you will find. Unfortunately, the Titusville manufacturing plant closed down in 2018.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Why do you have interest in older Queen knives?

Post by treefarmer »

When I 1st started out on AAPK I was a dyed in the wool Case enthusiast. I'd had used several different common brands as work knives. As a kid all the old fellers either has a Case, Queen or Tree Brand in their Levi or bib pockets. Other old famous brands that are recognized here on the forum apparently were not readily available locally in our part of Central Florida. ::shrug::
My interest in Queen knives was really sparked when I traded an old locally stamped pop bottle for a used Queen #39.
There was years ago, a bottling company in Chipley Florida that bottled Pop Cola. An older lady in our community wanted one of the old bottles with a Chipley stamp on it to give as a gift to someone who was once employed at that company. I used to hunt old bottles and happened to have one and we made the trade, bottle for a used knife. After cleaning, sharpening and doing a little modification on the 60'-70' #39 I began my search for more Queens with the Winterbottom handles both imitation and real bone.
The older Queens are steadily getting harder to find for a reasonable price but I'm hooked. Several of the member here on AAPK have helped me continue with my addiction. ::handshake::
What is your excuse for following older Queens pocket knives?
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Why do you have interest in older Queen knives?

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Whittlers (the wedged split backsprings kind) were the first pattern I collected. At first they were all Case but eventually I added several Queen whittlers among many brands. Although I know Queen made many great patterns, the Queens I have are all swell center whittlers. They’re excellent older Queens.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Kramersknife

Post by Kramersknife »

I lived 40 minutes away, my Mom grew up in Titusville, I attended the Auction of Queen Factory in 2019 I posted some photo's on another thread
My grandfather gave me a Queen folding hunter with Winterbottom bone scales when I was about 13 or 14 I still have it now at 55
he found it on the side of the road in open position in Franklin Pa he figured it fell off a hunters car or trunk. Still razor sharp and no I never gutted a deer with it.My dad processed deer during the season I was pretty sick of the site of them by January.I went hunting just to spend time with my long passed Grandfather Ivan Emerson. I got one when I was 12 just to make him happy but most years just let them pass by..
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I first got a Railsplitter in Walnut in 2015? or thereabouts. I was not impressed by it--dull, and stiff. Not much longer, I was digging through a random box of stuff here at the house looking for a cord to an electric razor (I thought the old Phillips cord was the same as a modern one); and I found my great-granddad's #22 Barlow. Now that was a very good quality knife. I later supplemented that with a #49EO and a regular Big Chief. I also have a 2001 4 3/8 Moore Maker Stockman in a yellow-brown bone that Queen made. Now THAT has to be the best-made knife I own. I'm looking to add a Folding Hunter and a few different Stockman patterns. I'm hoping to find a Utility Jack with a screwdriver that doesn't cost a ton. One member here listed 5-6 Utility Jacks for $40 each, and I didn't have the money at that time.

I cannot afford GEC. Old Queens (and Case, and German Boker) are all really good quality but affordably priced. Old Catts are great too, but not exactly affordable unless we're talking blade busted/cracked handle kinda damage.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Yup!

:D :wink:
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

These are the last two of my old Queens. They are available if anyone needs one.
Queen fish001.jpg
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

cody6268 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 2:00 pm I'm looking to add a Folding Hunter
When this one is gone I will have no more Queens. Then to release the Schatts (also Queen).
hunter001.jpg
hunter002.jpg
hunter003.jpg
pile closed003.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Great looking Folding Hunter ! Queen made some of the best traditional pattern knives and this Folding Hunter is an excellent example.
kj
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Dang Mr. Calvin, those are some suh-weeet Queens!

Yup, couldn't agree more Roland.
::nod::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

kootenay joe wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 3:36 pm Great looking Folding Hunter ! Queen made some of the best traditional pattern knives and this Folding Hunter is an excellent example.
kj
They also made the best bonestag.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
texoma
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by texoma »

Most Queen made knives I purchased after Bill left were hit or miss but the knives I had or still have 2006 or older are just as good as GEC or even better. I can’t comment on older Queen made knives, I was more into other manufacturers. With GECs harder to get I search every day for certain Queen/S&M patterns 2006 or older.
Frank

Want 85 RHK Antique Walnut Jig Bone & other Harness Jacks
Trade & Buy List Link https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/wtt ... s.1884432/
Retirement is a time to enjoy the things you never could before
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

In the late 1990s to early 2000s Queen made great knives. Until the Daniels ruined the brand. What a shame.

My apologies for derailing the original intent of this thread ::handshake::
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

Kramersknife wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 7:16 am I lived 40 minutes away, my Mom grew up in Titusville, I attended the Auction of Queen Factory in 2019 I posted some photo's on another thread
My mom was born in Titusville and also grew up in Titusville and some of her relatives worked in the Queen factory in the 30's and 40's. So, Queen knives have a special connection to me.
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

tongueriver wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 2:41 pm
cody6268 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 2:00 pm I'm looking to add a Folding Hunter
When this one is gone I will have no more Queens. Then to release the Schatts (also Queen).
hunter001.jpghunter002.jpghunter003.jpgpile closed003.jpg
Did you get rid of this one yet?
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

bighomer

Post by bighomer »

My grandpa toted a early 50's congress and I thought it was the prettiest knife I'd ever seen. I ain't changed that opinion either. ::tu:: ::handshake::
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

Kramersknife wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 7:16 am I lived 40 minutes away, my Mom grew up in Titusville, I attended the Auction of Queen Factory in 2019 I posted some photo's on another thread
My grandfather gave me a Queen folding hunter with Winterbottom bone scales when I was about 13 or 14 I still have it now at 55
he found it on the side of the road in open position in Franklin Pa he figured it fell off a hunters car or trunk. Still razor sharp and no I never gutted a deer with it.My dad processed deer during the season I was pretty sick of the site of them by January.I went hunting just to spend time with my long passed Grandfather Ivan Emerson. I got one when I was 12 just to make him happy but most years just let them pass by..
My Mom also grew up in Titusville, and some relatives worked in the Queen Factory. I have been to Titusville couple of times and to the Queen Factory, where I bought a few knives.

Also, I remember a story from my Grandpa about how he used to hunt around Franklin, Pa. and about 41-42 years ago he lost his favorite Queen folding hunter with Winterbottom bone scales....

C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by C-WADE7 »

I had never really seen them until around 2 years ago. I’ve always had multiple Case knives and a few Boker and Old Timers. A friend bought a Queen at a pawn shop and showed it to me and I knew instantly I needed one. I now have 3 (one is a Queen made Robeson) and I really like the fit and finish of them.
Cayuga

Post by Cayuga »

I started to collect knives in 1978-79 when I was switching jobs. Yeah I know I'm dating myself!!! Everybody was scouring after Case knives. Literally going to local hardware stores (remember them) and buying up stock. I did purchase a couple this way and also bought some from the one or two mail order dealers that existed. I was greatly disappointed in the quality. No snap. Poor fitting. Blades wouldn't open properly. Cracked handles. Etc. So I started to look at other brands. My choices were USA made, German, Japanese and Taiwanese. All were well made but USA and German knives were top of the line during that time.
Going through USA made brands I finally settled on Queen and Camillus. (you've got to realize there was no internet. Everything was mail order. Places like Gander Mtn and Cabelas had decent stock). I walked into a gun store and saw a batch of Queen knives in the display case. I knew they were pricier than the Camillus but noticed they were marked low price. The printing on the blades were all smeared. I bought the whole lot. I still have them. Well made. Nice to hold. I never got around to trying to remove the blade printing (etching). Even though these were "seconds", I found myself never using Queen knives as EDCs. As time went by they became too expensive to use and became a collectable to look at. And so I accumulated less and less of them. Happily I still have all of them.
robpa

Post by robpa »

I kinda started out going after Case until I saw a Queen collection. That ended Case, 4 out of 7 new ones were defective. I am fond of some older Case knives.Titusville is right down the road. My friend was Queens sales manager east of the Mississippi and a neighbor was plant manager until closing. I collect all in house brands as well as contract knives. Its a wide open field of goodies.

Return to “Queen Cutlery Collector's Forum”