Queen Cutlery Help

The Queen Cutlery Company manufactured knives in Titusville Pennsylvania for 96 years. The company opened its only factory there in 1919 and commenced to make some of the best US crafted cutlery you will find. Unfortunately, the Titusville manufacturing plant closed down in 2018.
illjmk2580

Queen Cutlery Help

Post by illjmk2580 »

I was sharpening knives for my parents and my father pulled out his collection of pocket knives to have them sharpened. In them was what I think is a Queens Cutlery #9 stag stockman pocket knife from 1977-198?. I am not sure what year it is as there is no visible date. I am also not sure if this is an authentic Queens Cutlery piece. I am also trying to figure out how one might take this apart to clean it and hopefully restore it to its original state or as close as possible. Any help, information is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I posted this on another part of AAPK and someone replied that it was not a stag stockman and said it was maybe a Winterbottom's bone. He also said it could be from 1976.

Any confirmation or other information would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
1.jpeg
2.jpeg
3.jpeg
4.jpeg
5.jpeg
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Queen Cutlery Help

Post by edge213 »

Definitely not stag.
Delrin. Faux Winterbottom bone.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Unless you have a lot of experience doing it, you don't want to take it apart to clean it. Cleaning can be done as is.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Kramersknife

Post by Kramersknife »

YES JUST START SANDING THE RUST OFF WHILE ITS TOGETHER. BUY SOME GOOD PAPER 200 TO 3000 GRIT SHOULD DO TO POLISH IT UP.I DO IT ALL THE TIME THEN USED BUFFER TO SHINE IT UP. NOT VERY HARD JUST A LOT OF ELBOW GREASE.
illjmk2580

Post by illjmk2580 »

Thank you for the suggestion. I will try and see what I can do.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Just know that under that corrosion will be pits in the metal. The more you sand those pits, the larger they’ll get. I’d remove any active rust, polish the blades with some Mother’s Mag or semichrome and call it good. At this point you can make a good user out of it, but to get all the pits out you’d have to sand those blades paper thin. JMHO.

But it’ll make a great HOK (honest old knife) to pack!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

I discovered this Queen Stockman this morning; didn't know I had it and it is not in my records. Very well made: everything tight, fine run-ups, and transitions from covers to bolsters are almost imperceptible. My question is about the handle material. Initially, I thought it was smooth black wood or possibly dark brown. When I got it in better light, I saw white streaks that one commonly sees in water buffalo bone.

Can anyone give me a positive i.d. on the covers? I believe this was made in 2002. That is the number beneath the Crowned Q followed by DFC.

Any help or info will be appreciated.
P1040313.JPG
P1040314.JPG
P1040315.JPG
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Garry, that is a fine looking knife!
I don't know enough about the newer Queens made by the Daniels family to make any other comment. ::shrug::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Thank you. I like it a lot. For using knives I've always preferred smooth covers.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Garry, your 'I didn't know I had' knives are knicer than my 'I'm glad I have knives'. Love the handles. ::nod::
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Thank you dogg. I should have written Water Buffalo Horn rather than bone. Am fairly confident it is horn.
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Quick Steel wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:31 pm I discovered this Queen Stockman this morning; didn't know I had it and it is not in my records. Very well made: everything tight, fine run-ups, and transitions from covers to bolsters are almost imperceptible. My question is about the handle material. Initially, I thought it was smooth black wood or possibly dark brown. When I got it in better light, I saw white streaks that one commonly sees in water buffalo bone.

Can anyone give me a positive i.d. on the covers? I believe this was made in 2002. That is the number beneath the Crowned Q followed by DFC.

Any help or info will be appreciated.P1040313.JPGP1040314.JPGP1040315.JPG
Beautiful piece there Garry. Really like the Covers on that one ::tu::
Good to see you out and about on the forum ::handshake::
JP
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Thank you Ripster. Glad you like it.

Return to “Queen Cutlery Collector's Forum”