Model 11 handle color

The Queen Cutlery Company manufactured knives in Titusville Pennsylvania for 96 years. The company opened its only factory there in 1919 and commenced to make some of the best US crafted cutlery you will find. Unfortunately, the Titusville manufacturing plant closed down in 2018.
Potechop

Model 11 handle color

Post by Potechop »

Picked this queen model 11 up and never seen one with this color handle. Has a orange tint to it. Thought maybe it was faded or something but both sides look the same. Don’t collect queens but I have a few 11 patterns have always liked that pattern. Know queen went out of business and Might start making them in China and didn’t know if this could be one of those.
Attachments
CC7EA8B5-031D-4AFF-9206-F90C619AAC97.jpeg
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Model 11 handle color

Post by treefarmer »

Reading your post caused me to try and remember what is going on with that knife. Seems Queen was experimenting with different dyes/colors on the imitation Winterbottom handles and some had this red/brown color. I think I have one or two in my pile.
Maybe someone will respond with a documented article on this.
Treefarmer

Edit: Potechop, I probably spoke/wrote before I looked. :oops: It may be that the dye/color issue was with real Winterbottom bone rather than imitation. I looked in a drawer of Queens and took these out and there are color differences in the bone and the Delrin handles. The 3rd #11 is bone as are the knives to the right of it. The 4th and 5th really show the red/brown/orange color. The 1st two #11's are imitation. Hope this picture doesn't muddy the water too much.
001.JPG

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Potechop

Post by Potechop »

Thanks for the reply Treefarmer probably like you said must be the dye they used on the imitation bone. All the Queens I ever seen had that same color till I picked up this one.
DanQueencutlerycom

Post by DanQueencutlerycom »

Queen was experimenting with the winterbottom Delrin synthetic in 1959. They could NOT control the color and felt they had to waste completed knives - some were red, some deep purple, but they did sell the "burnt orange" ones for a short time as Fred Sampson, Queens master cutler at the time described it. Collectors labeled the knives and they remain quite popular through they were never cataloged. While they tried a relatively large number of knife patterns, the approach did not last long - all burnt orange were gone before 1960. The company switched to dying delrin with a black dye before assembling the handle to the knife and the look of almost all queen pocket knives with synthetic delrin for the 1960s was set. (Some knives were still handled in bone in the '60s until, the inventory for that pattern was exhausted. Here is a bone (right) and a burnt orange (left) in the big single blade hunter #44. download/file.php?mode=view&id=578556
Attachments
IMG_3371 (2).JPG
Dan Lago for
<QueenCutleryguide.com>

Return to “Queen Cutlery Collector's Forum”