First Hubertus - Non Springing Springer?

For Collectors & Users of Hubertus Brand Knives
StHubert

First Hubertus - Non Springing Springer?

Post by StHubert »

Pics below of recent flea market find.. My first Hubertus. It is 6.5cm Lever lock stag handle but teh lever on locks/unlocks the blade. There is no auto action.. I proibed inside and could not find the typical hole where the spring would be inserted if it was just missing it's spring.
Did Hubertus make non-auto lever locks like this? What's the vintage on this ? Every knife I see like this is an auto.

Thanks in advance.
100_0022.JPG
100_0020.JPG
100_0026.JPG
100_0021.JPG
Gunsil

Re: First Hubertus - Non Springing Springer?

Post by Gunsil »

No, it is a springer with a broken spring. Hubertus springs break often in my experience but they are fairly easy to replace, I have changed a bunch of them. We have a member here who is a Hubertus authorized repairman, Bill DeShivs. If you are handy you can do it yourself, if not get a hold of Bill. Hubertus uses a square cross section spring not a round one, the broken end of the spring usually stays in the knife and needs to be tapped out with a thin punch, you will not usually see a hole where the spring was until you remove the broken piece of spring. By the way, there are videos on youtube showing how to do the job.
StHubert

Re: First Hubertus - Non Springing Springer?

Post by StHubert »

Thanks .. I hopefully will have Bill lined up for a restoration on another knife down the road so I might take on this one myself. I was scraping in the spine and see a spot that may be the broken spring piece and it is pretty darn flush with the inside profile .. On my way to Youtube
100_0042.JPG

Return to “Hubertus”