Camillus carbon steel blade 1095?

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
hard.times.lures

Camillus carbon steel blade 1095?

Post by hard.times.lures »

Can someone kindly tell me what type of carbon blades did Camillus use for 1970 and newer knives? Was it HC1095?

Thank you, Bryan
kootenay joe

Re: Camillus carbon steel blade 1095?

Post by kootenay joe »

I am surprised there are no replies. I do know the answer but my guess is 1095 which is what sister company Schrade used.
kj
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

It could well be. But if my rememberer is remembering correctly, weren’t/aren’t there different “recipes” for 1095? By that I mean a knife company could order 1095 or whatever other steel hand tweak some of the ingredients. Things like adding a bit more vanadium or some other component I seem to remember was pretty common. So saying company X used 1095 and company Y used 1095 maybe technically correct, however there could still be differences in their steel.

I may be way off here but that’s how I remember these discussions going on the past.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

From my discussions with Tom Williams I know Camillus did use 1095 steel.
I am not aware of any variations in the recipe for 1095 Steel. If you mess with the percentages of the ingredients then it becomes something else rather than 1095. The recipe is pretty standardized so fast as I am aware.

I think what Wade may have been remembering was a discussion about Schrade+ Steel where it is suspected, that they added a little bit of something to the recipe for 440C and called it Schrade+.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Phil Gibbs

Post by Phil Gibbs »

Camillus used 1095 steel exclusively for Carbon Steel blades & springs,

In the 90s we also used "Carbon V"for Cold Steel knives, but called it 0170-6C when we used it for Camillus & Becker knives.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Thank you Phil! I always appreciate hearing from you!

For some of our newer members who may not know who Phil Gibbs is and what he did, I will say there probably are not many people who know more about the Camillus Cutlery than Phil.
If Phil says something about Camillus Cutlery you can take it to the bank! ::nod::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Phil Gibbs wrote:Camillus used 1095 steel exclusively for Carbon Steel blades & springs,

In the 90s we also used "Carbon V"for Cold Steel knives, but called it 0170-6C when we used it for Camillus & Becker knives.
Hey, Phil. Glad to have you posting and nice to read your feedback. Can I Interpret your second sentence to mean that '90s-era Camillus used the steel marketed as "Carbon V" in some of their carbon steel knives? I've known of the CS/Camillus connection for a while and I've read vague things about how Camillus "used Carbon V steel" in the past but I wasn't sure how much stock to put in it.

Related: Did the #27 linesman's knife stay with 1095 throughout its run or did Camillus also use 0170-6C on those knives in the 1990s?
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

orvet wrote:From my discussions with Tom Williams I know Camillus did use 1095 steel.
I am not aware of any variations in the recipe for 1095 Steel. If you mess with the percentages of the ingredients then it becomes something else rather than 1095. The recipe is pretty standardized so fast as I am aware.

I think what Wade may have been remembering was a discussion about Schrade+ Steel where it is suspected, that they added a little bit of something to the recipe for 440C and called it Schrade+.
I was referring to what I had been told specifically about older CASE steel. From what I had been told/read, it was basically 1095 with some added Chromium and Vanadium, and that all of the old knife makers did the same. A basic 1095, perhaps with minor variations of Vanadium etc...... Here’s one thread about it on aapk. Same basic ingredients as 1095, but with added chromium and Vanadium. viewtopic.php?t=23830

I wasn’t referíng to stainless since I’m a happy hypocrite on the matter. I avoid it at all costs in a traditional, yet love it in a SAK or tactical. Lol
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”