Camco 551 Barlows

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
vikingdog

Camco 551 Barlows

Post by vikingdog »

Anyone have any idea when these may be from? Nothing fancy but they are nicely made inexpensive American made knives. They are near mint and they were cheap. :D
Attachments
CAMCO BARLOWS.jpg
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." Ogden Nash

My traditional Nordic knife blog: http://nordiskaknivar.wordpress.com/

Mike
trail

Re: Camco 551 Barlows

Post by trail »

Mike, my understanding is that they started making Camco knives in 1948 and continued all the way until the plant closed in 2007. They may not be quite as hefty as the Camillus branded ones but I agree with you they are great American knives. Yours are really nice and I think anyone would be proud to own them. Here is a picture of my Camco barlow, cut down and rebladed by Muskrat Man with a single Kutmaster blade.
Attachments
camco_kutmaster_scaled.jpg
vikingdog

Post by vikingdog »

Thanks Trail. I guess they are too generic to really date. They are just honest pocket knives meant to use and were affordable to the average guy. They are well built and would look good with better scales on them.

Nice job on your Barlows, do you collect them? They are a long time favorite of mine.

http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... =2&t=20026
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." Ogden Nash

Mike
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Thought I might chime in with mine......
Attachments
barlow knife lot 007.JPG
barlow knife lot 008.JPG
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Camco was the economy line for Camillus. Generally they are the same steel and quality as the Camillus branded knives of the same era. The main saving in the manufacturing process was on the finish work. The Camco 551 Barlow is generally not as highly finished as the Camillus #51 Barlow, but I believe the parts are interchangeable.

If you were to dissemble a Camillus TL-29 and a Camco TL-29 and put a piece of electricians tape over the tang stamp of the blades, I don’t think I could tell the difference in the parts, as long as both knives were from the same timeframe.

I tend to think of Camco as being equal to Camillus in every significant way except price.
I also think the Camco line was used to experiment with new and different manufacturing and design techniques.
A case in point is this interesting red Camco Barlow.
Camco Barlow- Red.jpg
Camco Barlow- Red pile.jpg
In this knife they experimented with 2-piece flat springs. They also extended one piece of the spring beyond the end of the knife and used it to form a lanyard hole without putting a hole in the knife itself.
I think the handle material in this knife may also be a new type of material they were experimenting with when the knife was made.

Camco Barlow- Red-spgs.jpg
In this one Camco you see a different design as well as a new and likely more cost effective method of manufacturing the knife.
As I recall, this red Barlow had good snap and functions as well as any other 551 Barlow, or 51 Camillus Barlow. (I don’t have it in my hand as I write this; it is sleeping in its cigar box with his Barlow brethren). :mrgreen:
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

I like that term....Barlow Brthren! ::tu::
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
citytransplant

Post by citytransplant »

So the bolsters are solid? I always guessed they were ... for lack of a better term ... caps.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Citytransplant Welcome to AAPK! ::welcome::

Yes, the bolsters on the Camco 551 Barlows are solid steel.
I have not seen any Camco Barlows that are nickel silver, but I suppose it is possible that Camillus make some.

The bolsters on the red Barlow I posted above are steel also.

Most of the pre-1960 (or so) Barlows in my collection have steel bolsters (excepting the shell handles knives like some of the Imperials). I think that was because the Barlow was traditionally a workingman’s knife and a pattern often given to young boys. They were knives built for hard work and not for looks. The long bolsters, especially steel, give the frame more strength for a knife that is used hard, or perhaps misused by young boys.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

jaswarb

Post by jaswarb »

Orvet you just gave me a great nugget. The longer bolsters on barlows have always seemed curious to me until you mention the added strength it gives the frame. Makes perfect sense after experiencing how flexible the liner bolster combination of some knives are when disassembled.

Thanks

So much to learn
My two cents and worth just what you paid.
jaswarb

Post by jaswarb »

Citytransplant welcome to the best place for folding steel fever.
My two cents and worth just what you paid.
vikingdog

Post by vikingdog »

Hey Dale that's a cool red CAMCO you have there. ::tu::

Mike
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Thanks Mike.
The way it is put together is what really interested me even more than the color.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

smokepole

Post by smokepole »

Gentlemen, please excuse my ignorance, but I am one of those who believes there are no stupid questions... Anyway, I have two questions here:
One, how are the bolsters fixed to the liners - were they soldered, riveted, brazed ....?
Two, orvet makes mention that the red Barlow shown was an experimental model and that it features two flat half springs - how were the other Camillus/Camco Barlows made? One flat spring for both the blades?
"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
- Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

Be on your guard against a silent dog and still water.
Latin Proverb
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I agree Willem, there no stupid questions, except those you don’t ask which causes you to make a mistake.

A normal backspring in a Barlow is square or nearly so in a cross section. It is one bar of spring steel that runs the length of the knife and keeps the blade in the open & closed positions by spring pressure.

If you look at the bottom of the red Barlow you will see the spring is made of 2 thinner (flat) pieces of spring steel and the end of one of them extends out beyond the end of the knife to form a hole for a lanyard. I thought this was ingenious!

This knife has only one blade with the two flat springs.
The Camco #551 ahs two blades and also has two backsprings, one spring per blade.

Most Schrade knives (Camillus too as I recall) have bolsters held on by a pin. Usually this is a piece of the bolster (call it a stud for lack of a better term) that fits through a hole in the liner. The stud is peened or pressed so that it solidly attaches the bolster to the liner.

Soldering is sometimes used. I see it mainly on German and Italian knives. They use hollow bolsters that are usually made of cast nickel silver, which is soldiered to the liner.
They are a royal pain to repair because when you try to peen down the new pivot pin, sometimes the bolsters will crack. They also have a tendency to come loose and fall off. I have a nice vintage German jack with a missing bolster.
To replace them you have to pin a piece of 3/32” sheet nickel silver onto the liner and shape it by hand. It takes hours of hand filing and sanding to make them look right! I just went through that with a Henckels whittler. I probably have 15 hours in that repair for a customer.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

smokepole

Post by smokepole »

Thank you Dale. Interesting knife that and I agree with you on the one spring extending to house the lanyard hole - quite ingenious! Let me just see if I have this right - the blade on the red Barlow "walks" on both of the springs? If so, that is quite ingenious too - you could break one and still have a functional knife!
"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."

Latin Proverb
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

smokepole wrote:Thank you Dale. Interesting knife that and I agree with you on the one spring extending to house the lanyard hole - quite ingenious! Let me just see if I have this right - the blade on the red Barlow "walks" on both of the springs? If so, that is quite ingenious too - you could break one and still have a functional knife!

Yes, the blade does walk on both half-spings.
However, the strength of one spring would not give it very good snap & if the broken piece fell out the blade might get wobbly. It might work in an emergency, but would probably not be trustworthy for long term use.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

smokepole

Post by smokepole »

I see what you mean if you had to loose a spring. Makes me wonder why they would consider going that route? I cannot see how it would aid ease of manufacture, or save money? Anyone have any ideas as to why this was done/considered?

Latin Proverb
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I could see how it might be easier for mechanized assembly.
It may have been merely an experiment, produced in limited numbers.
The one I have is the only one I have seen like it.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

smokepole

Post by smokepole »

Mechanization might be it... All I know is I'll be on the lookout for one of those! :lol:

Latin Proverb
smokepole

Post by smokepole »

Well, it looks like this might be one of these with the split springs:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VI ... 0797155125

It looks to be in great condition - but all I will say about the price is that it is a little rich for my blood at the moment!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1950s-Vintage-C ... 19cc066b35

Would be a nice one to add to a collection though..

Latin Proverb
Edgewise

Post by Edgewise »

This is where I should have put my first Camco barlow.
Attachments
IMG_1948.JPG
smokepole

Post by smokepole »

It's a nice one - is it numbered? And if so, what number is on the blade?

Latin Proverb
Edgewise

Post by Edgewise »

No number, smokepole.
Just an arched CAMCO over USA on the main blade and BARLOW on bolster front and back. ::tu::
Oops, I just realised that I ignored the 551 on this thread. :oops:
What's a 551 Camco?
GringoBombero

Post by GringoBombero »

Greetings old thread. I too have newly acquired a Camco Barlow with no number on it. Is that odd or rare? Seems most have "551"
Attachments
20230213_160851.jpg
Screenshot_20230213-160617_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230213-160603_Gallery.jpg
Goodnight Chesty Puller... wherever you are... ::pray::

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”