camillus #72

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: camillus #72

Post by jerryd6818 »

David, that's a really nice 863. They don't get any better than that. Congratulations.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

jerryd6818 wrote:David, that's a really nice 863. They don't get any better than that. Congratulations.
Thank you Jerry.
David
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

DM11 wrote:Got this Schrade 863 in today.
Nice one. I'm partial to the schrade version, shockingly.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Hehe, I found one y’all didn’t see! Snuck this pristine little thing in. Actually, daddy found this and an almost as good shortline, Rogers bone 69 at a gun show and bought them on my behalf. Didn’t even warn me. Just told me how much. Lol.
2AE977B2-107E-4E6F-860A-949B6D0C75E2.jpeg
F689B147-4F20-4203-8655-F92CC79AF639.jpeg
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

...that's great, col., that knife looks unused to me!!!..... ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ..........
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Ohhwee! That's a purty one Wade! ::tu::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Thanks guys. Other than the oh so common Delrin center pin crack at the bottom she’s and minty as a box of thin mints.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

That's a very nice one Colonel!
David
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Until a couple of weeks ago, I was a Camillus 72 virgin. I'm happy to say, that phase of my life is over. I think I may have stumbled in to a decent deal...
First, I got the bottom, delrin handled knife, off "the bay". At $35, I don't think I got any special deal. It had been described as having excellent action; however, when I got it...all snaps were good, except for the closing of the main blade had no snap. I was torqued!!! Turns out, after cleaning and lubing, it does actually have pretty good snap. But...before I got it cleaned up...I had decided I liked the pattern enough, to try to find another one with good snap. I found the top one, in an Etsy store. I thought I was getting another Delrin one. It came today and I started noticing the differences. Bone and different tip shape to the main blade. I realize the main blade isn't full, walk & talk is about perfect. It turns out I got a bone/ short line. There really isn't much to compare / find in the sold prices, on Ebay. Am I correct it's probably from 1948-50? At $34, did I do OK?
IMG_1171.jpg
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Doc, let’s just say that about anyone of us 72 addicts would probably give ya your money back on them if you weren’t satisfied.

Great pickups.
Robert E. Lee
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Doc you are correct in your assumptions! ::tu:: The bone handle shortline has the second generation blade configuration but is still apretty rare find these days. Both will give you exemplary service at a bargain price. ::nod::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

Doc B wrote:Until a couple of weeks ago, I was a Camillus 72 virgin. I'm happy to say, that phase of my life is over. I think I may have stumbled in to a decent deal...
First, I got the bottom, delrin handled knife, off "the bay". At $35, I don't think I got any special deal. It had been described as having excellent action; however, when I got it...all snaps were good, except for the closing of the main blade had no snap. I was torqued!!! Turns out, after cleaning and lubing, it does actually have pretty good snap. But...before I got it cleaned up...I had decided I liked the pattern enough, to try to find another one with good snap. I found the top one, in an Etsy store. I thought I was getting another Delrin one. It came today and I started noticing the differences. Bone and different tip shape to the main blade. I realize the main blade isn't full, walk & talk is about perfect. It turns out I got a bone/ short line. There really isn't much to compare / find in the sold prices, on Ebay. Am I correct it's probably from 1948-50? At $34, did I do OK?
IMG_1171.jpg
Good scores! ::tu::
David
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

A bone 72, the elusive search. Congratulations. You did good. ::nod::
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Nothing wrong with either one of those. You did okay by yourself. ::tu::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Thanks, Gentlemen. I have to agree with TJ's 2012 assessment and Jerry's by-line endorsement...It's pretty darn close to a perfect knife. I've enjoyed carrying the Delrin, the last week or so.
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Everything about it sings to me.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Doc B wrote:Thanks, Gentlemen. I have to agree with TJ's 2012 assessment and Jerry's by-line endorsement...It's pretty darn close to a perfect knife. I've enjoyed carrying the Delrin, the last week or so.
I’m sure I sound like a broken record, but I’ll say it again. I’m not a fan of little knives. But the 72 is the biggest little knife you’ll ever use. If you’re not careful you’ll become an all out junkie like the rest of us.
Robert E. Lee
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

Colonel26 wrote:
Doc B wrote:Thanks, Gentlemen. I have to agree with TJ's 2012 assessment and Jerry's by-line endorsement...It's pretty darn close to a perfect knife. I've enjoyed carrying the Delrin, the last week or so.
I’m sure I sound like a broken record, but I’ll say it again. I’m not a fan of little knives. But the 72 is the biggest little knife you’ll ever use. If you’re not careful you’ll become an all out junkie like the rest of us.
..col., I like the #72 a lot, but my favorite whittlers are the old split-backspring whittlers!!..... ::tu:: .........
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

carrmillus wrote:
Colonel26 wrote:
..col., I like the #72 a lot, but my favorite whittlers are the old split-backspring whittlers!!..... ::tu:: .........
I love those too, especially the bigger ones. If I ever run across one, it’s at the top of my list!
Robert E. Lee
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Colonel26 wrote:
My favorite biggest little knife is a jr cattle, which is 1/4" shorter than the 72. For me it comes down to the flawless aesthetics of a cattle knife but both are similar in function. If I could only have a 72 I wouldn't complain one bit.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

KnifeSlinger#81 wrote:
Colonel26 wrote:
My favorite biggest little knife is a jr cattle, which is 1/4" shorter than the 72. For me it comes down to the flawless aesthetics of a cattle knife but both are similar in function. If I could only have a 72 I wouldn't complain one bit.

I don’t have a Jr, but this regular Camillus cattle knife, just a hair bigger than the 72 has become a real contender for favorite.
11350C25-8EB0-4200-BAA3-D122C1CAC8AE.jpeg
0547F1F2-3E14-4430-8F4C-874340A4B4A9.jpeg
Robert E. Lee
Edgewise

Post by Edgewise »

Going through this thread is enough to convert anyone to the #72 and it's not even a Case.
Not to seem disloyal but is there another thread devoted to a single pattern to match this one? ( :x :x ::td:: ::td:: ::disgust:: ::disgust:: )
I must add that I have a prized #72. I didn't buy it. I would have definitely bought one after reading this thread but Jerry didn't give me enough time.
This isn't the first time I'm reading this thread, but there isn't any harm in a refresher, is there! :)
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

The latest is this Powr-Kraft w/milled liners. Jerry asked for a pic of the clones that have been added to the pile. Clone pic left to right: Craftsman missing shield, Powr-Kraft, Schrade 863, Ulster 63 and a couple Remingtons. The last Remington in the pic has First in the Field etched on the small clip blade.
Attachments
IMG_4797.JPG
IMG_4804.JPG
David
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

David, that's a good start you have going there. The Craftsman looks like it has bone handles. ::tu::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Great pile of 72 clones there David.
Robert E. Lee

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”