Camillus #72 master blade grind

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Camillus #72 master blade grind

Post by carrmillus »

jerry, on the inside of the box lid, it says-camillus cuttlery company-limited edition-1 of 2000-below that is an enlarged reproduction of the master blade etch. the certificate says-"camillus cuttlery company-limited edition -1 of 2000-"in 1876, when the united states celebrated it's centennial,camillus cuttlery company began manufacturing quality knives for the nation. today, 100 years later, camillus is still producing the finest knives available anywhere, and your commemorative knife is a fine example of american craftsmanship. this excellent american-made knife features etched stainless steel blade, jigged bone handle, solid nickel-silver bolsters and brass liners. camillus cuttlery company is proud to present this collector's limited edition knife.
marcellusW

Post by marcellusW »

jerryd6818 wrote:I thought this list of my #72s & #72 clones might be of interest. I'll add pictures sometime when I have more energy for it.

Sword Brand (Camillus) Whittler – WWII ’41-’46 (The Alpha. The first of the #72s, a true split spring whittler.) Black synthetic handles. #72 frame & blade profiles. Flat ground main blade both sides, pen & coping secondary blades

(2) Camillus #72 – ’46-’50 (or ’60) Bone handles, saber ground main blade both mark & pile sides, w/pen & coping blade.

Camillus #72 – ’60 to ’76 Black synthetic handles, main blade saber ground on mark side, flat ground on pile side, w/small clip & coping secondary blades

Camillus #80 (72) - ’60 to ’76 – “Deluxe Carpenter’s & Whittler’s Knife". Black synthetic handles, milled liners, nickel silver bolsters, liners & pins. Main blade saber ground on mark side, flat ground on pile side, w/small clip & coping secondary blades.

Camillus #72 – 197x to 198x Boy Scout – Brown Delrin handles. main blade saber ground on mark side, flat ground on pile side, w/small clip & coping secondary blades

Camillus #72 – 1989 to closing – Brown Delrin handles. Main blade flat ground on both sides, w/small clip & coping secondary blades

Camillus 22LR6 (72) Yello-Jaket 1997 – Smooth Yellow Delrin handles. Main blade etched “Yello-Jaket” and flat ground on both sides, w/small clip & coping secondary blades

Camillus #72 Yello-Jaket SFO for Coca-Cola Chattanooga TN - Bolster marked 1992 - Serialized – Main blade etched “Chattanooga Coca-Cola” & flat ground on both sides, w/small clip & coping secondary blades. Small clip secondary etched “Worlds First Coca-Cola Bottler”

Camillus #72 100th Anniversary (or so I’m told but I don’t think so. The official 100th Anniversary stockmans, 1876-1976, I’ve seen on eBay have the 197x-198x tang stamp. This knife has the 1989 to Closing tang stamp) – Black Delrin handles. Flat ground main blade both sides with a ducks over water scene etched deeply into blade. Small clip & coping secondary blades.

Camillus #5 (72) - ’99-’03 (The Omega. The last of the #72s) Wood Handles, brass bolsters, brass pins, flat ground main blade both sides, w/small clip & coping secondary blades
__________________________________________________________________________________
The following are not Camillus brand but have the #72 frame, closed length of 3-5/8", blade profiles and blade layout

Imperial Boy Scout ’46-’56 – Handles are black synthetic with a sort of gold clear Scout emblem embedded on the Mark side where the shield goes. Main blade is saber ground on both sides. Secondary blades are small clip and coping blades.

Made In USA (Sears Roebuck contract knife 1924-1965? Camillus?) – Black synthetic handles appear to be mounted in the Camillus way. Main blade is saber ground on both sides. Secondary blades are pen & coping blades. This one is odd because it has the quarter moon nail nick instead of the long match strike pull of all the Camillus I've seen or even the plain long pull like the Schrade/Ulsters. Out of my small collection, only this one and the WWII true whittler have that nail nick.

Craftsman 9494 (Ulster #63) – “Craftsman” stamped football shield. Very dark brown Delrin handles. Main blade is saber ground on mark side & flat ground on pile side. Secondary blades are small clip & coping blades.

Ulster #63 – Plain football shield. Dark brown Delrin handles. Main blade saber ground mark side, flat ground pile side. Small clip and coping secondary blades.

Ulster #63 – Football “Ulster” stamped shield. Funky orangeish synthetic handles. Main blade saber ground mark side, flat ground pile side. Small clip and coping secondary blades.

Powr-Kraft 84-11 (Camillus #72 contract knife made for Montgomery Wards) – Brown Delrin handles. Main Blade saber ground on mark side, flat ground on pile side. Small clip and coping secondary blades.

Powr-Kraft 84-?? (Camillus #80 Deluxe Carpenter’s & Whittler’s contract knife made for Montgomery Wards) – Brown Delrin handles. Milled liners, nickel silver bolsters, liners & pins. Main blade saber ground on mark side, flat ground on pile side. Secondary blades are small clip & coping.

Remington R-14 (Camillus #72) – Brown worm grove synthetic handles. Round Remington shield. Main blade flat ground on both sides. Secondary blades are small clip & coping.

(2) Schrade 863 – “Schrade” stamped football shield. Dark brown synthetic (Delrin?) handles. Main blade saber ground on mark side, flat ground on pile side. Secondary blades are small clip & coping.

The last one you mentioned, the Schrade 863
Mine has tang stamp of :
Schrade
NY USA

Both mark and and pile sides are ground flat, blades are set up the same
So there is another variety
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

carrmillus -- I looked at this one again and I just don't know. I'm going to have to take your lead on this one.

marcellusW -- When I put this list together, I just looked at the factory new one in the tube assuming both knives were the same and it is as I described, although the saber grind is not as pronounced as it is on the Camillus blades. I just now dug the one I'm carrying out of my pocket and discovered that once again I've made a bad assumption. It's different. It's just as you described. ::facepalm::
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Colonel666

Post by Colonel666 »

[album][/album] Look at this has no markings and appears to be a #72 but has a "bird" on the crest. Also note hidden grip pins for the black plastic grip plates.
Attachments
1361684110763.jpg
1361684595454.jpg
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Shearer »

colonel666.If you go to this posting and look at page 17.
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... 63&t=28718
Politicians should be like a good pocket knife ." Sharp and useful "
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Colonel666 -- I received the one like that I bought on eBay. It was the absolute worst knife I've ever held in my hand. If there's a place on this planet where they make worse knives than the ones made in Pakistan, that's where these knives are made. The blades were just ugly and you would have to see them for yourself to understand what I mean. The handles were rough and looked like they were made in someones garage with a poor grade of Bondo. The mark side handle was loose and actually fell off in my hand.

Fortunately, the seller had a return policy so I sent the knife back. I should have procrastinated on getting it in the mail because not only did they refund the cost of the knife (and I use that term loosely) but also the shipping and told me to just keep the knife. It would have made a great example to show people what not to buy. Got my refund yesterday. The seller actually apologized for selling the knife.

It is not my intent to "dis" your knife. I'm simply relating my experience with a knife with that shield.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Colonel666

Post by Colonel666 »

[album][/album] This is another picture that shows a comparison between a Pakistan made and the #72 Camillus wittler clone. I think the "bird" on the crest is merely noting that most people carve small bird figurines or duck decoys from wood when they whittle. All I did was "carve" my middle finger when the coping blade "snapped" shut. It really needs a half-stop!
Attachments
1361887604862.jpg
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

jerryd6818 wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:47 pm I thought this list of my #72s & #72 clones might be of interest. I'll add pictures sometime when I have more energy for it.

Sword Brand (Camillus) Whittler – WWII ’41-’46 (The Alpha. The first of the #72s, a true split spring whittler.) Black synthetic handles. #72 frame & blade profiles. Flat ground main blade both sides, pen & coping secondary blades

(2) Camillus #72 – ’46-’50 (or ’60) Bone handles, saber ground main blade both mark & pile sides, w/pen & coping blade.

Camillus #72 – ’60 to ’76 Black synthetic handles, main blade saber ground on mark side, flat ground on pile side, w/small clip & coping secondary blades

Camillus #80 (72) - ’60 to ’76 – “Deluxe Carpenter’s & Whittler’s Knife". Black synthetic handles, milled liners, nickel silver bolsters, liners & pins. Main blade saber ground on mark side, flat ground on pile side, w/small clip & coping secondary blades.

Camillus #72 – 197x to 198x Boy Scout – Brown Delrin handles. main blade saber ground on mark side, flat ground on pile side, w/small clip & coping secondary blades

Camillus #72 – 1989 to closing – Brown Delrin handles. Main blade flat ground on both sides, w/small clip & coping secondary blades

Camillus 22LR6 (72) Yello-Jaket 1997 – Smooth Yellow Delrin handles. Main blade etched “Yello-Jaket” and flat ground on both sides, w/small clip & coping secondary blades

Camillus #72 Yello-Jaket SFO for Coca-Cola Chattanooga TN - Bolster marked 1992 - Serialized – Main blade etched “Chattanooga Coca-Cola” & flat ground on both sides, w/small clip & coping secondary blades. Small clip secondary etched “Worlds First Coca-Cola Bottler”

Camillus #72 100th Anniversary (or so I’m told but I don’t think so. The official 100th Anniversary stockmans, 1876-1976, I’ve seen on eBay have the 197x-198x tang stamp. This knife has the 1989 to Closing tang stamp) – Black Delrin handles. Flat ground main blade both sides with a ducks over water scene etched deeply into blade. Small clip & coping secondary blades.

Camillus #5 (72) - ’99-’03 (The Omega. The last of the #72s) Wood Handles, brass bolsters, brass pins, flat ground main blade both sides, w/small clip & coping secondary blades
__________________________________________________________________________________
The following are not Camillus brand but have the #72 frame, closed length of 3-5/8", blade profiles and blade layout

Imperial Boy Scout ’46-’56 – Handles are black synthetic with a sort of gold clear Scout emblem embedded on the Mark side where the shield goes. Main blade is saber ground on both sides. Secondary blades are small clip and coping blades.

Made In USA (Sears Roebuck contract knife 1924-1965? Camillus?) – Black synthetic handles appear to be mounted in the Camillus way. Main blade is saber ground on both sides. Secondary blades are pen & coping blades. This one is odd because it has the quarter moon nail nick instead of the long match strike pull of all the Camillus I've seen or even the plain long pull like the Schrade/Ulsters. Out of my small collection, only this one and the WWII true whittler have that nail nick.

Craftsman 9494 (Ulster #63) – “Craftsman” stamped football shield. Very dark brown Delrin handles. Main blade is saber ground on mark side & flat ground on pile side. Secondary blades are small clip & coping blades.

Ulster #63 – Plain football shield. Dark brown Delrin handles. Main blade saber ground mark side, flat ground pile side. Small clip and coping secondary blades.

Ulster #63 – Football “Ulster” stamped shield. Funky orangeish synthetic handles. Main blade saber ground mark side, flat ground pile side. Small clip and coping secondary blades.

Powr-Kraft 84-11 (Camillus #72 contract knife made for Montgomery Wards) – Brown Delrin handles. Main Blade saber ground on mark side, flat ground on pile side. Small clip and coping secondary blades.

Powr-Kraft 84-?? (Camillus #80 Deluxe Carpenter’s & Whittler’s contract knife made for Montgomery Wards) – Brown Delrin handles. Milled liners, nickel silver bolsters, liners & pins. Main blade saber ground on mark side, flat ground on pile side. Secondary blades are small clip & coping.

Remington R-14 (Camillus #72) – Brown worm grove synthetic handles. Round Remington shield. Main blade flat ground on both sides. Secondary blades are small clip & coping.

(2) Schrade 863 – “Schrade” stamped football shield. Dark brown synthetic (Delrin?) handles. Main blade saber ground on mark side, flat ground on pile side. Secondary blades are small clip & coping.
Would like to bring up this old post and ask a question or 2 . Jerry you first mention the Sword brand / Camillus 72 s with flat mains and pen and coping at opposite end with true split spring . Enclosing pics of the 2 I have ,one of each stamp and the springs have the wedge between them but it’s not truly a split spring is it ? Is there one that is ? The short line is Saber ground on the mark side only which goes along with what’s been posted .
After reading this post and many others from years ago that have been posted here in the Camillus area what’s the latest conclusion on short line dates . Many of us and a lot of books and references say 1946 to 1950 . Some knowledge has been shed says 1946 to 1956 or as late as 58 . As many of us have found out Camillus is hard to nail down between 1945 and 1965 .
Attachments
244737E6-9C61-4CB4-966B-6C448BEB19A5.jpeg
E99BCD53-B293-40E0-9CD2-5865E513B3F8.jpeg
JP

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”