What is Your Latest Old Camillus? (pre-1960)

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
kootenay joe

Re: What is Your Latest Old Camillus? (pre-1960)

Post by kootenay joe »

JohnR, you keep showing us amazing vintage knives always in top condition, anyone of which would be The Best knife in my collection. And you might well have at least 100 absolute top examples. I truly am in awe. I don't know how you manage to find these knives. Likely you are a friend of other top collectors.
Thank you for showing us these knives.
kj
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

kootenay joe wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 11:40 pm JohnR, you keep showing us amazing vintage knives always in top condition, anyone of which would be The Best knife in my collection. And you might well have at least 100 absolute top examples. I truly am in awe. I don't know how you manage to find these knives. Likely you are a friend of other top collectors.
Thank you for showing us these knives.
kj
Thank you Roland, I have been lucky and I have made friends with several other collectors that have very good eyes for vintage knives, the discussions we have had regarding knives have been a huge help in my ability to judge what makes a good old knife, thanks again. ::tu:: ::tu::
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

John, your Toe and the Swing Guard and the Farmers Jack are just beautiful.
Outstanding examples of early fine old cutlery. The bones, the patterns, so nice to view. ::nod::
Congratulations. ::tu::
Joe
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

FRJ wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 1:38 pm John, your Toe and the Swing Guard and the Farmers Jack are just beautiful.
Outstanding examples of early fine old cutlery. The bones, the patterns, so nice to view. ::nod::
Congratulations. ::tu::

Thank you Joe, appreciate it. ::tu:: Early Camillus bone is some of the best.
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

This Camillus 3 line was a pleasant surprise, no size description in the BIN listing so I was thinking it was a peanut, very pleased when I opened the package and found it was a 3 5/8" small Trapper, most likely the oldest Trapper I have.
Attachments
IMG_3741.jpeg
IMG_3744.jpeg
IMG_3752.jpeg
IMG_3753.jpeg
IMG_3748.jpeg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

That is a very fine find JohnR. Wow! Great shape for such an older knife. Wonderful bone. You did super on that one. Love those old Camillus. ::nod:: ::nod:: ::nod:: ::tu:: ::tu::
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

JohnR wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:33 pm This Camillus 3 line was a pleasant surprise, no size description in the BIN listing so I was thinking it was a peanut, very pleased when I opened the package and found it was a 3 5/8" small Trapper, most likely the oldest Trapper I have.
My goodness John.
How do you find all of these great knives?
You must have one of the best collections around.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
msteele6

Post by msteele6 »

A beauty :)
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

JohnR wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:33 pm This Camillus 3 line was a pleasant surprise, no size description in the BIN listing so I was thinking it was a peanut, very pleased when I opened the package and found it was a 3 5/8" small Trapper, most likely the oldest Trapper I have.
John , another beautiful knife. You have a great eye and taste for old Quality pieces.
As David has said,and will agree ,you have a outstanding collection . ::tu:: ::tu::
JP
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Wow...what an absolute beauty, JohnR! That size trapper is right in my wheelhouse and I am green with envy. :mrgreen:
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Thank you all for the nice comments, much appreciated. ::tu:: ::tu::
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Morning here in Cam Country.
Have this old 4 line Rope knife to add to collection. Grabbed this one for 20 bucks till can find one in better shape and a full blade . For now this one will do . If any of you folks have one in very good shape and would be willing to part with it ,let me know .
John R , was looking back thru this thread, you sure have some darn nice Camillus knives . Need to start hanging out with you!
Attachments
69DF9A2B-FD18-470B-887C-A86B444B2763.jpeg
5C981E99-2E1B-4228-BF19-0F35BC9FE19B.jpeg
JP
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

Ripster wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:19 am Grabbed this one for 20 bucks till can find one in better shape and a full blade . For now this one will do . If any of you folks have one in very good shape and would be willing to part with it ,let me know .
+1
This is my story too ::nod::
Attachments
425l21.jpg
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Vit_213 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:30 am
Ripster wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:19 am Grabbed this one for 20 bucks till can find one in better shape and a full blade . For now this one will do . If any of you folks have one in very good shape and would be willing to part with it ,let me know .
+1
This is my story too ::nod::
Hear you brother! ::nod::
JP
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

I'm gonna put this here as it was made by Camillus, but sold through Sears under the DUNLAP name, and was Sears middle grade of knives. A DunLap U.S.A. Hawkbill or as listed in the Sears Catalogs, a Pruner. The tang stamp is clear, and is listed in Goin's as being used from 1938 until 1942, but Sears must have purchased plenty because the Dunlap pruners are listed in their catalogs as an option up until 1952, even though the Craftsman name was started on some knives after 1942. I had to do a little cleaning on it. The blades were fine, but the pile side bolster had a large clump of rust. The wood handles look like they had a heavy coat of varnish or shellac on them. I washed the knife with some Murphy's oil soap, then cleaned the handles with denatured alcohol, which removed the shellac. Then soaked in warm mineral oil overnight. Flushed with wd-40 and blew off with compressed air. I've rubbed in four coats of boiled linseed oil. The pile side handle is somewhat darker. I think it turned out good. The blade is tight with strong snap, a positive half stop, but do have age spots and some tiny pits in areas. The liner lock, and liners are all steal. The liner lock requires a little more pressure to push in then the newer brass liner locks you encounter, but the steel one locks up against the blade good. Here are some photos.
Dunlap Hawkbill_a.png
Dunlap Hawkbill_b.png
Dunlap Hawkbill_c.png
Dunlap Hawkbill_e.png
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Papa Bones wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:06 pm I'm.....
GORGEOUS find & acquisition, Smitty. ::tu:: ::tu::
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Love it Papa B. Great job on the clean up. ::tu::

My latest old Camillus. A 4 line EO with a clip blade and brass liners so probably pre WW2. Bail is missing and the blade is rough, but privileged to get it.
DSCN6998.JPG
DSCN6999.JPG
DSCN7000.JPG
DSCN7001.JPG
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:50 pm
GORGEOUS find & acquisition, Smitty. ::tu:: ::tu::
Appreciate it Skip.

doglegg wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:59 pm Love it Papa B. Great job on the clean up. ::tu::

My latest old Camillus. A 4 line EO with a clip blade and brass liners so probably pre WW2. Bail is missing and the blade is rough, but privileged to get it. DSCN6998.JPGDSCN6999.JPGDSCN7000.JPGDSCN7001.JPG
Thanks Floyd. That is an outstanding EO you scored. Love the handles. ::tu::
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Papa Bones wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:06 pm I'm gonna put this here as it was made by Camillus, but sold through Sears under the DUNLAP name, and was Sears middle grade of knives. A DunLap U.S.A. Hawkbill or as listed in the Sears Catalogs, a Pruner. The tang stamp is clear, and is listed in Goin's as being used from 1938 until 1942, but Sears must have purchased plenty because the Dunlap pruners are listed in their catalogs as an option up until 1952, even though the Craftsman name was started on some knives after 1942. I had to do a little cleaning on it. The blades were fine, but the pile side bolster had a large clump of rust. The wood handles look like they had a heavy coat of varnish or shellac on them. I washed the knife with some Murphy's oil soap, then cleaned the handles with denatured alcohol, which removed the shellac. Then soaked in warm mineral oil overnight. Flushed with wd-40 and blew off with compressed air. I've rubbed in four coats of boiled linseed oil. The pile side handle is somewhat darker. I think it turned out good. The blade is tight with strong snap, a positive half stop, but do have age spots and some tiny pits in areas. The liner lock, and liners are all steal. The liner lock requires a little more pressure to push in then the newer brass liner locks you encounter, but the steel one locks up against the blade good. Here are some photos.
Dunlap Hawkbill_a.png
Dunlap Hawkbill_b.png
Dunlap Hawkbill_c.png
Dunlap Hawkbill_e.png
Smitty, that cleaned up nice. Like the Dunlap stamp on that old Pruner / hawkbill. Nice Save ::tu::
JP
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

doglegg wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:59 pm Love it Papa B. Great job on the clean up. ::tu::

My latest old Camillus. A 4 line EO with a clip blade and brass liners so probably pre WW2. Bail is missing and the blade is rough, but privileged to get it. DSCN6998.JPGDSCN6999.JPGDSCN7000.JPGDSCN7001.JPG
You been nailing it lately Floyd,don’t see many EOs in 4 line with a Clip blade ::tu:: ::tu::
And the Bone, Nice looking . Well done Sir .
JP
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Thanks Papa Bones and JP ::handshake:: ::handshake::
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

doglegg wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:59 pm Love.....
NICE one Floyd! ::tu:: ::tu::
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Thanks Skip. ::handshake::
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

Floyd ::tu::
David
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Some superb cutlery in this thread. I'll have to read through it from the very beginning!

Here's my contribution: an electrician's knife. With the tang stamp and "U.S.N." stamped onto the one cover, I'm thinking it's likely from World War II. It's a treat for the eyes (and, with excellent snap, the ears)!
WWII Camillus Closed.jpg
WWII Camillus Top.jpg
WWII Camillus Blade.jpg
WWII Camillus Screwdriver.jpg
WWII Camillus Cover.jpg
WWII Camillus Tang Stamp.jpg
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”