#72 BSA

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
cody6268

#72 BSA

Post by cody6268 »

Always wanted a traditional whittler pattern, particularly a good one. I'd had my eye on a #72, and found this one, $14 w/free shipping on the big auction site, so I bought it--quick.
s-l1600_CBSA72.jpg
kootenay joe

Re: #72 BSA

Post by kootenay joe »

There is a very long thread somewhere here in AAPK dedicated to the Camillus #72 pattern. Have a look to see hundreds of examples.
Although Camillus called this a "whittler", it is not a "traditional whittler" which is what you state you wanted.
A whittler is defined by: 3 blades, 2 springs, in which master blade bears on both springs when open.
That said, the Camillus #72 is one of the all time greatest USA folding knife patterns, whether called a whittler or not.
kj
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

The Scout version of the Camillus 72 is a 1047 and doesn't have a pattern number stamped on the pile side of the main blade's tang. That particular one was made sometime after 1976 when they stopped pinning the handles on and went to the post attachment system (look in the blade well. You'll see a ~¼" circle of the handle material sticking through the liner.) Probably '76 - early '80s or so. I predict you're going to like it. DM11 carries one just about every day and I carry one that Rob (whitebuffalo58) Frankenized for me.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Yep.... that thread has sold more Camillus #72's than obama sold guns back during his time in office.

(yes, I have a few)..... 72's....

Mike
:D
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

I don't like little knives as a rule. But the Cammillus 72 is the biggest little knife I've ever handled. I'm a fan for sure. I'm sure you'll like it.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Meridian_Mike wrote:Yep.... that thread has sold more Camillus #72's than obama sold guns back during his time in office.

Mike
:D
Folks just have to see for themselves what the hubbub is all about and once they get one in hand, they're hooked. :mrgreen:
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Good pick up. I've got one of the scout models and several others in various brands that Camillus made for. I carry a 72 everyday. ::tu:: ::tu::
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

My dad, who is not on line at all, is like me and a fan of bigger knives. But I gave him a couple of 72's a while back including one Glennbad custom. He's hooked too. He packs on a lot. It's a shame a current knife maker doesn't revive the pattern.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Colonel26 wrote: It's a shame a current knife maker doesn't revive the pattern.
I've often entertained that same thought. GEC came within a quarter inch and one more blade of doing that with the 33.
Attachments
331211-bal-burnt-stag10.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Definitely a nice looking knife though.... even if it's not perfect.

Mike
::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
Brian Battaglia

Post by Brian Battaglia »

Have the same knife in my pocket and love it :)
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

jerryd6818 wrote:
I've often entertained that same thought. GEC came within a quarter inch and one more blade of doing that with the 33.
3 3/8 is just too small for these big mits. The 72 works for some reason, but any smaller and I can’t gwt these fingers wrapped around a knife.
Robert E. Lee
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

A GEC #33 "carpenter's whittler" run would go absolutely gangbusters, I have no doubt of that. Also opens up something nice like a true sabre-ground split-spring whittler on the same frame (say, under the Northfield marque). Oh well, a knifer can dream, right? ::smirk::
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

I also just bought one of these from the Great Auction site. It is my first 72 pattern knife.
As you can tell mine needs handles badly, and I need to clean the rust off these blades, but it has great snap and tight blades.
I am thinking about trying to put stag handles on it, but I haven’t worked with stag yet. If not, I have some great black micarta, but I think this knife needs something better than that.
Attachments
4520F715-111A-4567-8F6F-B695CBFFE98D.jpeg
46E053DB-C172-4D5C-B5C9-821649A6733C.jpeg
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

By the way, it's okay to say eBay on AAPK.
Ah, yes. You got one with the old "shrinkie dink" handles. That one is probably from the '50s - very early '60s.

Here is some handle options.

Rob swapped out the blades on this one and you would have to ask him but I think that's Whitetail antler handles.
Camillus 72 Frankenknife from whitebuffalo58 - Labeled.JPG
Self explanatory
Stag Handles by Bob Picklesimer (Elvis) - Labeled.JPG
Labeled Customizer.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

Those are so beautiful! (Well, the printed circuit board is not so pretty, but I find it hilarious!). Thank you for sharing that!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Glad I'm not the only one that thinks so! Somebody is missing out on a great opportunity. ::nod::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”