Camillus Buford Pusser Commemorative knives

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
Vit_213

Camillus Buford Pusser Commemorative knives

Post by Vit_213 »

"Camillus first made the Buford Pusser knife in the 1970's and a second version was made about 2003.
Mr. Fred Robertson of Finger, Tennessee placed an order with Camillus to make 5,000 commemorative knives honoring Buford Pusser who was a Sheriff in McNairy County. This knife was a large Camillus 2 blade trapper pattern knife with brown Delrin handles and a special Buford Pusser shield. Each knife had a serial number engraved on the bolster and came packed in a special brown Buford Pusser knife box. A #9380 sharpening steel was packed in the box with each knife. The original order was for 5,000 knives but not all of the knives were made. Approximately 3,500 knives were made and shipped to Mr. Robertson. The customer would call and place an order when he wanted some of the knives and usually he would take 100 or 200 knives at a time. Not all the knives were made so some serial numbers were never used.
Buford Pusser became very famous when he was the Sheriff and several movies, such as "Walking Tall", were made about his life story. He was killed while he was a Sheriff and his daughter owned the rights to the "Buford Pusser" name so she granted r. Robertson permission to use her father's name on this knife. She was paid a fee for the use of the name. His daughter most likely trademarked the "Buford Pusser" name so if anyone used the name on a product she could collect a royalty."

Tom Williams
Attachments
bp1 (1).jpg
bp1 (2).jpg
Vit_213

Re: Camillus Buford Pusser Commemorative knives

Post by Vit_213 »

"The second Buford Pusser knives were made for Smoky Mountain Knife Works around 2003. One of the blades that was used in this knife is stamped "1986" and these blades were originally made for the Sears-Roebuck 100th anniversary knife (Model #95113). Camillus had extra blades and parts left over after the order for the Sears 100th anniversary knife order was filled and these parts were used in several other knives. The Buford Pusser knife is a #5754 pattern that was a very popular knife and was made for several customers in addition to Sears. The Camillus "American Wildlife" Model #10 knife is the same pattern as the Buford Pusser knife. The use of the Sears "1986" blade in a knife that was made many years later in 2003 shows how Camillus never threw anything away and found a use for these extra parts. Camillus made many knives for Smoky Mountain Knife Works that used parts that were left over from earlier knives.
Check this BF posting in a few days and you will see the Camillus records for the Buford Pusser knife. These records are for the first Buford Pusser knife that was made in the 1970's for Mr. Fred Robertson of Finger, TN. The first knife had a blade etch, serial number, #9380 sharpening steel (Big Stick) and a specially printed box with a molded platform. The second Buford Pusser knife did not have a serial number or special box."

Tom Williams
Attachments
bp2 (1).jpg
bp2 (2).jpg
bp2 (3).jpg
bp2 (4).jpg
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

...good information, vit, I did not know this!!!...... ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ...........
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Very cool.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

Camillus records for the Buford Pusser knife by Tom Williams
Attachments
img140a.jpg
img141a.jpg
img142a.jpg
img144a.jpg
img145a.jpg
img146a.jpg
img147a.jpg
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

...that's really neat, vit!!....... ::tu:: .............
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Too bad they didn't get a hold of some of his big sticks and use them for knife handles. ::nod::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

..I think it was when I was overseas in france(1960-62), my dad said he gave a speech at the miss-ala. fair & dairy show that was one for the books!!!.............. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ...............
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Now i know who Buford Pusser was. It is such an odd name i had thought it was a made up name.
kj
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

...nothing about him was made up, he was the genuine article!!!.., my grandfather, who was chief of police here in tupelo for 28 years would have loved him!!!........ ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ............
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

carrmillus wrote:...that's really neat, vit!!....... ::tu:: .............
I prepared well before creating this topic :D .
This is a piece of Camillus history for everyone.
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

...you did a great job, my friend!!!!!.......... ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: .............
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

I recently posted one of the later version knives on eBay and someone contacted me about it to tell me that "Buford" was spelled incorrectly in the blade etch - "Bufford".

Pretty embarrassing mistake for Camillus.
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

knifeaholic wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:46 pm I recently posted one of the later version knives on eBay and someone contacted me about it to tell me that "Buford" was spelled incorrectly in the blade etch - "Bufford".

Steve , are you saying the knife you have is spelled with 2 F s on the blade etch ?. that’s quite the mistake ! Just noticed the spelling of the second knife in above post that it is spelled with 2 F s on the etch as you have said . Never noticed it before. Thanks for bringing that to our attention.
JP
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Ripster wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:46 pm
knifeaholic wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:46 pm I recently posted one of the later version knives on eBay and someone contacted me about it to tell me that "Buford" was spelled incorrectly in the blade etch - "Bufford".

Steve , are you saying the knife you have is spelled with 2 F s on the blade etch ?. that’s quite the mistake ! Just noticed the spelling of the second knife in above post that it is spelled with 2 F s on the etch as you have said . Never noticed it before. Thanks for bringing that to our attention.
Yup, same as that one. They must have all been that way.
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

Nice! I didn't notice this before. Thank you! Another piece of Camillus history! ::handshake::

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”