Help id Camillus knives

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
JoanD

Help id Camillus knives

Post by JoanD »

Hi all. I'm new to the forum and am looking for some help with a couple of Camillus knives we have. We've decided to sell of most of what we've collected, but a couple of them have me needing help. First is a couple Remington bullet knives. I believe they are the 1982 and 1983 Camillus made knives, but their is no blade etching on either knife. Are these the Camillus made knives and if so why no blade etchings? Alot of the Camillus knives we have belonged to a long time employee of Camillus. Could these have been error knives?
Thanks for any help.
Joan
Attachments
20190625_121256.jpg
20190625_121237.jpg
20190625_121215.jpg
20190625_121158.jpg
20190625_121141.jpg
20190625_121122.jpg
20190625_132251.jpg
20190625_121356.jpg
20190625_121348.jpg
20190625_121319.jpg
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Re: Help id Camillus knives

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Hi and ::welcome:: to AAPK. Somebody will stop by and supply you with help and information. Nice knives! :D
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
JoanD

Post by JoanD »

Thank you! I might as well ask about another one while I'm at it. I identified it from a Camillus1957 catalog. It's a Camco Huntsman No. 670. Mine has an ebonybtenite handle rather than an ivory termite handle. The guard is plain. It is not a can opener guard that it's supposed to have. The sheath looks to be correct. Any thoughts on the differences on the knife?
Attachments
20190627_130515.jpg
20190627_130535.jpg
20190627_130524.jpg
20190627_130529.jpg
20190627_130636.jpg
20190627_130706.jpg
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

JoanD wrote: First is a couple Remington bullet knives. I believe they are the 1982 and 1983 Camillus made knives, but their is no blade etching on either knife. Are these the Camillus made knives and if so why no blade etchings?
In my humble opinion, it's really the 1982 and 1983 Remington Bullet knives by Camillus. Etching on these knives is very weak, and could be removed as a result of cleaning with polishing paste (such as Flitz). If my assumption is correct, then this significantly reduces the cost of these knives (as well as the lack of boxes).
JoanD

Post by JoanD »

Thank you for your response. I was pretty sure they were the 1982 and 1983 knives that Camillus made for Remington. It was the lack of an etching on the blades that threw me off. The blades dont look like they ever had an etching on them. They look factory new. I don't know if you can tell from my photos. I live not far from Camillus and over the years we've heard all kinds of stories about how employees got knives out of the factory. That's why I wondered if they might have been errors and never sent to Remington. Employee took home because they couldn't be sold that way? Just pondering the possibilities. I acquired a lot of Camillus knives from a former employee but never got a history on any of them.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Camillus did in fact make Remington in those years.
I bought a few Camillus back in the day that had the names missing from the tang. Got them at reputable dealer (SMKW) so I know Camillus made them. I was told they lacked stamps because they were deemed seconds.
I bought them very cheap, and in 30 plus years I have them, I cannot find anything wrong with them. Great knives, at a terrific price but not having the makers stamp lowers the value to resell them. If you cannot get a decent price, then just keep and enjoy them.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
JoanD

Post by JoanD »

Thank you. I appreciate everyone's input. Anyone have any thoughts on the Camco 670?
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

JoanD wrote:Anyone have any thoughts on the Camco 670?
Here is something similar
Attachments
fes parker trailblazer039.jpg
JoanD

Post by JoanD »

Thank you so much. That is it. I have the Daniel Boone sheath. Now it all makes sense. I thought it went in the sheath marked Camco.
JoanD

Post by JoanD »

Now in the correct sheath.
Attachments
20190702_101700.jpg
20190702_101721.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Super that you have the sheath JoanD. A very cool little knife that just got better. ::nod:: ::tu::
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

I own about 20 Camillus knives. I wish now that I had bought more. They are one of my favorites.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

JoanD wrote:Now in the correct sheath.
Nice! ::tu::
JoanD

Post by JoanD »

Thanks guys. Anyone have an idea on the value of the daniel boone? I've looked around and cant find any for sale that would give me an idea on how I should price it.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Joan,
First of all I would like to welcome you to AAPK. A good friend of mine and friend of AAPK was a gentleman named Tom Williams who worked at the Camillus factory for 30 years. His mother worked there for 55 years. Tom passed away unexpectedly a few years ago and I hardly ever deal with Camillus knives when I don't wish I could call Tom and talk to him. He was a great guy and very knowledgeable in Camillus knives, he was the official Historian for Camillus.

To the best of my knowledge many of the novelty items Camillus made, especially those under the Camco label were not highly collectible. There may be exceptions to that but for the most part they were less expensive than the Camillus branded knives. The Camco brand was an economy brand meaning they were designed and produced at a lower cost than the Camillus brand. There was generally less finish work, fewer handwork steps in the process, and generally thinner blades that were not as highly finished.

There is one fellow in Syracuse who could probably help you an answer questions for you, or at least point you to someone who could answer your questions. His name is Wallace Rockwell I believe his father and he both works for Camillus. If you are not far from Camillus or Syracuse (I understand there are very close together) you might talk to Mr. Rockwell. He has a YouTube video that shows the address for his shop so I will post a link to that and you can get his contact information from the video since it is already public information I will break in a trust publishing any private contact information. It is at the end of this video. https://youtu.be/T8ycm1PrzBQ

I hope this is helpful.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

“In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” - George Orwell
JoanD

Post by JoanD »

Dale, that is very helpful. Thank you. I'm about half an hour away from camillus and Syracuse and just drove through both last night. I really appreciate everyone's help. I'm going to have to unpack the rest of the camillus knives and start going through them. I'm sure I will have more questions. Lol

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”