Camillus 72 Clones

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Re: Camillus 72 Clones

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Papa Bones wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:35 am Skip.....

WOW.....
Thank you, Smitty. 🍻
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

doglegg wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:03 pm Fished this McGrew Hillbilly Classic out of the bay recently. It is NOS complete with paperwork. After getting it and looking at the handles I am wondering if this might also be one of the black bone knives. Remington, Ole Smoky, Harley Davidson and Camillus 72 I am aware of but after looking this one over and comparing it to those the handles sure look the same. What do you think. ::shrug:: Thanks for looking. DSCN7266.JPGDSCN7268.JPGDSCN7269.JPG
Here’s the Hillbilly Classic that snagged off the bay . The blades have some discoloration going on , the bone is in great shape . Been used some . The etch on these isn’t the best have noticed , have to be careful with any kind of cleaner or it’ll be gone . The tang stamp and shield look to be stamped and are nice and crisp.
Floyd , you mention the 4 other knives with bone like the Hillbilly Classic. So that makes 5 then that came out with this same bone! For some time thought only 4 ,but forgot that HD model . And then there’s the Sears model that has the Duck Scene Engraved on the main ,that also has the bone .
Any case , it’s fun and interesting sorting and learning .
You all have a great weekend . ::tu::
Attachments
094D3EC4-D5A8-4E08-843B-96402FE08567.jpeg
CEAA98A3-9173-47AE-AB7C-04697B47DFFD.jpeg
CEBE5F7D-08C1-4E40-999E-B33C7CE29793.jpeg
JP
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Ripster wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:11 pm Here’s.....
JP, that is still a VERY nice l👀king "HillBilly-Classic." ::tu:: ::tu::

Skip
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Ripster wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:11 pm
doglegg wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:03 pm Fished this McGrew Hillbilly Classic out of the bay recently. It is NOS complete with paperwork. After getting it and looking at the handles I am wondering if this might also be one of the black bone knives. Remington, Ole Smoky, Harley Davidson and Camillus 72 I am aware of but after looking this one over and comparing it to those the handles sure look the same. What do you think. ::shrug:: Thanks for looking. DSCN7266.JPGDSCN7268.JPGDSCN7269.JPG
Here’s the Hillbilly Classic that snagged off the bay . The blades have some discoloration going on , the bone is in great shape . Been used some . The etch on these isn’t the best have noticed , have to be careful with any kind of cleaner or it’ll be gone . The tang stamp and shield look to be stamped and are nice and crisp.
Floyd , you mention the 4 other knives with bone like the Hillbilly Classic. So that makes 5 then that came out with this same bone! For some time thought only 4 ,but forgot that HD model . And then there’s the Sears model that has the Duck Scene Engraved on the main ,that also has the bone .
Any case , it’s fun and interesting sorting and learning .
You all have a great weekend . ::tu::
JP, I think I am wrong on Remington and HD. I think the bones are the Flying ducks, the Ole Smoky, the regular Camillus and the McGrew. Mt memory betrays me sometimes. The standard one looks like those with the Camillus shield and no etch.
DSCN7336.JPG
DSCN7338.JPG
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Shearer »

Here a different 72 clone (or Schrade 863 )
The knife was sold as a 1923-41 Cussins and Fearn Co
It sold for $191.38
I think the knife is Schrade made after 1959( could be wrong ).The next thing it has no country of origin stamp.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/14443094526 ... 1438.l2649

Grant
Attachments
cussion.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg
Politicians should be like a good pocket knife ." Sharp and useful "
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Shearer wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:40 pm Here a different 72 clone (or Schrade 863 )
It sold for $191.38
I think the knife is Schrade made after 1959( could be wrong ).The next thing it has no country of origin stamp.

Grant
Interesting piece!
Am Leary of some of this Sellers pieces . Not implying anything, just FYI, for what it’s worth.
JP
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Looks suspicious. ::paranoid::
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Shearer wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:40 pm Here a different 72 clone (or Schrade 863 )
It sold for $191.38

Grant
The tang stamp on the clip blade looks correct, comparing to other Cussins & Fearn knives I've seen. Don't remember a country of origin stamp on them. There is a list earlier in this thread that has some of the makers seen of this pattern, and Cussins and Fearn is on it. The handles look like french ivory which is a celluloid material, so I would keep an eye on it. As for authenticity....hopefully Skip aka; New_Windsor_NY will chime in with some info.
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

I recently added these two to my accumulation of 72’s and clones. There’s something about the Ulster that appeals to me, its a cool old knife. The Highcarbon is pretty cool. Nice bones and it’s configured like the first gen 72. Too bad the master blade has been tipped. Still it’s nice addition ::groove::
Attachments
F3F5279B-81C4-493D-AB25-6B98BEF5F988.jpeg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

#goldpan wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:08 am I recently added these two to my accumulation of 72’s and clones. There’s something about the Ulster that appeals to me, its a cool old knife. The Highcarbon is pretty cool. Nice bones and it’s configured like the first gen 72. Too bad the master blade has been tipped. Still it’s nice addition ::groove::
Love them Randy. ::tu::
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Shearer wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:40 pm Here.....
I have no information on this particular brand. So I don't know if it's legitimate or not.
I would not have paid that much for it. But, I would have no problem adding it to my collection.
It definitely fits the criteria for this topic or thread.

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

#goldpan wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:08 am I.....
Nice pieces of cutlery, Randy. ::tu:: ::tu::
Now you have to obtain the different ULSTER 63 tang stamps.
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=62956&start=975#p897969
Or go to post on Tuesday, February 23, 2021.

Skip
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

#goldpan wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:08 am I recently added these two to my accumulation of 72’s and clones. There’s something about the Ulster that appeals to me, its a cool old knife. The Highcarbon is pretty cool. Nice bones and it’s configured like the first gen 72. Too bad the master blade has been tipped. Still it’s nice addition ::groove::
Nice additions. Both are getting harder to find in any shape . ::nod::
JP
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Papa Bones wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:12 am
It sold for $191.38

Grant
The tang stamp on the clip blade looks correct, comparing to other Cussins & Fearn knives I've seen. Don't remember a country of origin stamp on them. There is a list earlier in this thread that has some of the makers seen of this pattern, and Cussins and Fearn is on it. The handles look like french ivory which is a celluloid material, so I would keep an eye on it. As for authenticity....hopefully Skip aka; New_Windsor_NY will chime in with some info.
The Cussins & Fearn Co. was a hardware chain based out of Columbus Ohio. It was established in the late 1800's and lasted until the mid-1900's. I feel safe in saying that like other hardware chains, they most likely contracted with other knife companies of the era to make knives for them using their own unique tang stamp. This is the tang stamp from another Cussins & Fearn knife I found that looks authentic.
Attachments
Cussins and Fearn.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Shearer »

jerryd6818 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:02 pm
Papa Bones wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:12 am
It sold for $191.38

Grant
The Cussins & Fearn Co. was a hardware chain based out of Columbus Ohio. It was established in the late 1800's and lasted until the mid-1900's. I feel safe in saying that like other hardware chains, they most likely contracted with other knife companies of the era to make knives for them using their own unique tang stamp. This is the tang stamp from another Cussins & Fearn knife I found that looks authentic.
I had a far idea the knife was real and a rare knife that's why I posted the knife ( otherwise I would have put it under counterfeit ).
Jerry thanks for the tang stamp picture.
The only thing I was concerned about was the time line. I still think it a knife made in the 1960 by Schrade ( not 1923-1941 )
Cussins& Fearn was taken over by Gamble -Skogmo and still traded to 1970's when they where phased out.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamble-Skogmo
My Blades Guide 7th Edition has Cussins & Fearn from 1930s on.

Grant
Politicians should be like a good pocket knife ." Sharp and useful "
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:37 am
#goldpan wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:08 am I.....
Nice pieces of cutlery, Randy. ::tu:: ::tu::
Now you have to obtain the different ULSTER 63 tang stamps.
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=62956&start=975#p897969
Or go to post on Tuesday, February 23, 2021.

I checked out the link Skip. Great post on the Ulster clones. Thanks for posting it. There is something about those Ulsters that grabs me. Been checking out some Schrade 72 clones as well. I may have to get another job to pay for all the 72 knives and clones I want. ::super_happy::
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

#goldpan wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:16 pm

I checked out the link Skip. Great post on the Ulster clones. Thanks for posting it. There is something about those Ulsters that grabs me. Been checking out some Schrade 72 clones as well. I may have to get another job to pay for all the 72 knives and clones I want. ::super_happy::
::super_happy:: They are quite addictive. ::rotflol::

Smitty
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

#goldpan wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:08 am I recently added these two to my accumulation of 72’s and clones. There’s something about the Ulster that appeals to me, its a cool old knife. The [b]Highcarbon is pretty cool. Nice bones and it’s configured like the first gen 72.[/b] Too bad the master blade has been tipped. Still it’s nice addition ::groove::
Just a bit of info. The High Carbon tang stamp was a trade mark used by Camillus for knives made for Sears Roebuck from 1927 to 1940. It was used on the "Sta-Sharp" line of Sears knives. Yours would have originally had a blade etch on the Master clip blade that read "Sta-Sharp" with "High Carbon" underneath it. Your particular knife with the configuration of blades with the secondary pen behind the Master clip and coping blade on the left side had a pattern number of 9511.

Here is an shot of the knife listed in the 1940 Sears Fall / Winter catalog.
1940 Sears Fall Winter Cat a.jpg

Smitty
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Thanks Smitty for history on this knife. I was aware of High Carbon being used by Sears but not the dates. Very cool and the model number too. I love history! And for 95 cents new. I wonder how the original buyer would feel if he knew that I bought his knife for around $40?
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

#goldpan wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:16 pm I.....
Thank you, Randy. 🍻
You're welcome, Randy. 🍻

Skip
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

This Craftsman just arrived. This old warrior has seen a lot of use. Handles are in good condition. The blades show lots of use. Lots of character in this one. Needs a good cleaning and oiling. Another addition to my growing pile of 72 clones.
Attachments
B64A52A8-0704-4F08-9E8E-F9B21F5EC29A.jpeg
A9AF6B99-DAE5-40D0-BC99-893EAD99F984.jpeg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

#goldpan wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:45 pm This Craftsman just arrived. This old warrior has seen a lot of use. Handles are in good condition. The blades show lots of use. Lots of character in this one. Needs a good cleaning and oiling. Another addition to my growing pile of 72 clones.
Congrats Randy, your 72 pile is growing. ::tu::
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Thanks doglegg!
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

#goldpan wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:45 pm This Craftsman just arrived. This old warrior has seen a lot of use. Handles are in good condition. The blades show lots of use. Lots of character in this one. Needs a good cleaning and oiling. Another addition to my growing pile of 72 clones.
Nice find goldpan. It will clean up nicely I am sure. The Craftsman 9494s with this color of handle and the smooth long pull nail nic was produced for Sears by Ulster.

Smitty
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

#goldpan wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:45 pm This.....
Another G@@d L👀king acquisition, Randy. ::tu:: ::tu::
Keep whittling that "72 clone" list down.

Skip

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”