Camillus 72 Clones

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: Camillus 72 Clones

Post by Papa Bones »

Ripster wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:58 pm
Smitty ,that’s really cool that you found that 84-11 ::tu::
And the Imperial with box, very nice my friend.
Thanks for sharing these, stay safe down there ::handshake::
Thank you JP. Yeah, I was amazed when the 84-11 popped up. I figured it would be years before I ran across one. The guy had listed it with a Make offer, so I jumped. The Imperial Scout Whittler was a no brainer for me, As good of condition and with the box. Just wished he had the pamphlet that went inside.
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Received this 863 in the mail today . Very happy with this one, it looks like new and don’t look like it’s been sharpened since it’s factory days .
It’ll fit nicely in with the other Variations/ Clones that are parked here at the home front.
Take care folks .
Attachments
D61C458D-EB16-48B8-8FFD-9E1E2B6350D5.jpeg
46EFFF75-C39B-4137-BF9D-1155C9188B23.jpeg
JP
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Ripster wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:27 am Received.....
JP, that is one, GREAT l@@king SCHRADE 863! ::tu:: ::tu::
Congratulations on another terrific find.
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

The 863's are really fine knives. And that one looks like a good example. Congrats. ::nod:: ::nod::
TPK

Post by TPK »

Ripster wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:27 am Received this 863 in the mail today . Very happy with this one, it looks like new and don’t look like it’s been sharpened since it’s factory days .
It’ll fit nicely in with the other Variations/ Clones that are parked here at the home front.
Take care folks .
Great looking Schrade JP! ::tu:: Congrats on the nice find! ::handshake:: :D
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Ripster wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:27 am Received this 863 in the mail today . Very happy with this one, it looks like new and don’t look like it’s been sharpened since it’s factory days .
Take care folks .
Awesome 863 JP. Looks brand new, and the handles are awesome. Congrats on that one Buddy!! ::tu:: ::tu::

Smitty
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

I'm going to post this here also. Not sure if you would call it a Clone, Variation or an Error. I also posted it in the 72 Thread. It is a Camillus 72Y Carpenters Whittler and is like new with the Box, pamphlet and sleeve. It has the yellow Delrin handles with the double line Camillus Shield. On the Mark side, the Master Clip blade tang Stamp has the double line Camillus NEW YORK U.S.A., with the Yello-Jacket blade etch, but on the pile side has the 22LR6 1997 model number tang stamp. All blades are as new, with original grind and finish from the factory. No signs of use or sharpening on the blades. As I stated in the other thread, these have popped up before, and the discussion is always, when this knife was produced... were they out of the 72 stamped knives, or were some 22LR6 blades erroneously put in with some 72 stamped blades to go through the "Yello-Jacke" etch process, or were these last production before the doors were closed knives so any blades available were used??? We'll probably never know, but it would be interesting to find out. Here are the photos of mine, all I've done is wipe it with a Chamois.
Camillus 72Y_22LR6_a.png
Camillus 72Y_22LR6_b.png
Camillus 72Y_22LR6_c.png
Camillus 72Y_22LR6_d.png

Smitty
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Smitty, I'm of the opinion that those were last of days knives and they just grabbed what ever parts they could find to get product out the door. A Hail Mary, as it were.

Check this one. Ground off tang stamp and etched tang stamp with an SL6 Pattern stamp. Swapped secondary blades and a smaller than normal secondary clip blade.

The last one just has the swapped secondary blades and the short clip secondary blade. What the hey was that all about?
Attachments
Camillus 72 - 2000s swapped secondary blades - Open Mark.JPG
^Camillus 72 - 2000s swapped secondary blades - Combined Tang & Pattern.JPG
DSC05699.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

jerryd6818 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:45 am Smitty, I'm of the opinion that those were last of days knives and they just grabbed what ever parts they could find to get product out the door. A Hail Mary, as it were.

Check this one. Ground off tang stamp and etched tang stamp with an SL6 Pattern stamp. Swapped secondary blades and a smaller than normal secondary clip blade.

The last one just has the swapped secondary blades and the short clip secondary blade. What the hey was that all about?
Sure gets your attention seeing those blades switched up .!
So end of days knives, makes sense . Is there a lot of them out there,or ? Haven’t seen many like this, and you have 2 ::tu::
JP
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

JP, there are enough that it's not unusual to find them. And most are in surprisingly good shape.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

doglegg wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:38 pm JP, there are enough that it's not unusual to find them.
I had a different experience. But then I haven't actively searched for Camillus 72s for 2 or 3 years.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Jerry, up until just recently, when I was checking ebay everyday, I would come across at least one a month and sometimes several. All different handle materials etc. I know that it seems cyclical as sometime there might be short line bone handles one month and then not see any for a while. Again, with a lot of things on ebay it seems cyclical. ::nod::
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

doglegg wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:03 pm Jerry, up until just recently, when I was checking ebay everyday, I would come across at least one a month and sometimes several. All different handle materials etc. I know that it seems cyclical as sometime there might be short line bone handles one month and then not see any for a while. Again, with a lot of things on ebay it seems cyclical. ::nod::
Floyd , you bring up a good point ! It seems that way when I’ve been browsing the web .
One day nothing that sparks interest ,then boom , multiple listings of what I thought would take me years to find.
Take care fellas.
JP
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Papa Bones wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:20 am I'm.....
Smitty, that's a GREAT "72" variation. ::tu:: ::tu::
You've been on quite a successful "hunting" trip for awhile now.
Keep it up! ::tu::

Skip
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

jerryd6818 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:45 am Smitty, I'm of the opinion that those were last of days knives and they just grabbed what ever parts they could find to get product out the door. A Hail Mary, as it were.

Last of days or last of production seems to be the usual consensus among a lot of people. I've seen the same on other collectors sites.

As far as the configuration and blades of the last one, Could of just been an inexperienced worker or did someone pull the wrong pattern guide, or a worker said what the heck, this looks better.

I don't know if Camillus was making the first swell center carpenters whittler for Sears, but in 1940 and 1941 the STA-SHARP Carver sold by Sears was almost this configuration of blades. But in 1942 the pattern changed to the traditional whittler pattern similar to the CASE XX 08 Whittler.
The STA-SHARP Carver was a three blade swell center Carver / Whittler that was 3-5/8" closed and had a Clip Master blade, pen secondary, and a Coping Blade on the left side of the frame. It had a STA-SHARP blade etch with WOOD Carver under the word STA-SHARP. The Pattern number was 9511. I've been going through the older Sears Catalogs researching the different Pattern Whittlers / Carvers that were offered. The Craftsman 9494 didn't appear in Sears Catalogs until 1952.
STA Sharp Carver.jpg

Smitty
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

doglegg wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:03 pm Jerry, up until just recently, when I was checking ebay everyday, I would come across at least one a month and sometimes several. All different handle materials etc. I know that it seems cyclical as sometime there might be short line bone handles one month and then not see any for a while. Again, with a lot of things on ebay it seems cyclical. ::nod::
I agree. But so far I guess I've just not looked at the right times. Because I've never seen a Short Line Bone Handle 72 listed as of yet. ::facepalm:: But.... if it was easy, it wouldn't be fun. ::tu::

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:59 pm
Smitty, that's a GREAT "72" variation. ::tu:: ::tu::
You've been on quite a successful "hunting" trip for awhile now.
Keep it up! ::tu::
Appreciate it Skip.

Smitty
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Papa Bones wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:51 pm I don't know if Camillus was making the first swell center carpenters whittler for Sears, but in 1940 and 1941 the STA-SHARP Carver sold by Sears was almost this configuration of blades. But in 1942 the pattern changed to the traditional whittler pattern similar to the CASE XX 08 Whittler.
The STA-SHARP Carver was a three blade swell center Carver / Whittler that was 3-5/8" closed and had a Clip Master blade, pen secondary, and a Coping Blade on the left side of the frame. It had a STA-SHARP blade etch with WOOD Carver under the word STA-SHARP. The Pattern number was 9511. I've been going through the older Sears Catalogs researching the different Pattern Whittlers / Carvers that were offered. The Craftsman 9494 didn't appear in Sears Catalogs until 1952.
STA Sharp Carver.jpg
Exactly what I've been looking for. Proof positive that the Camillus 72 pattern did exist before WWII. Thank you very much.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

jerryd6818 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:21 am
Papa Bones wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:51 pm I don't know if Camillus was making the first swell center carpenters whittler for Sears, but in 1940 and 1941 the STA-SHARP Carver sold by Sears was almost this configuration of blades. But in 1942 the pattern changed to the traditional whittler pattern similar to the CASE XX 08 Whittler.
STA Sharp Carver.jpg
Exactly what I've been looking for. Proof positive that the Camillus 72 pattern did exist before WWII. Thank you very muxh.
Smitty great info . Jerry ,you the man . Sure is good to have proof in writing. Them old articles are great .
JP
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Shearer »

Here is a couple of 1047 I was asked to post here.
The first two pictures are the same knife
The last picture is one without the etch
These knives were collected in 2013 when JerryD and myself were full time collecting them.

Grant
Attachments
10FE4525-C694-41AF-866D-61E9FCD00DEC.jpeg
4266C56F-0185-47FF-B811-CAED8564B8AE.jpeg
68219162-BEB7-4299-BCC5-1E378CFB0118.jpeg
Politicians should be like a good pocket knife ." Sharp and useful "
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Grant, I know you were asked to post it here but in my opinion it is not a clone and doesn't belong here. IMHO just because it's a Scout knife doesn't make it a clone. It's still a Camillus. Different strokes for different folks.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
TPK

Post by TPK »

Shearer wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:40 am Here is a couple of 1047 I was asked to post here.
These knives were collected in 2013 when JerryD and myself were full time collecting them.

Grant
Those are absolutely beautiful :shock: knives Grant! ::tu:: ::nod::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Shearer »

jerryd6818 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:15 am Grant, I know you were asked to post it here but in my opinion it is not a clone and doesn't belong here. IMHO just because it's a Scout knife doesn't make it a clone. It's still a Camillus. Different strokes for different folks.
Jerry I would have to agree with you it not a clone. It has the Camillus stamp on it.
It would only a be a slight variation in that it's missing the 72 stamp.
This is like saying it's a whittler.( we known Camillus called it a carpenter whittler ) Everyone has their own opinion.
To say something is a clone is would have to be a exact copy.
Would that have to include the tang stamp.( so ever 72 made in a day is a clone because it a copy of the first one made ). :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm going to bed now. I have just over used my brain. :)
Hope you have a good day.

Grant
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Shearer »

TPK wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:37 am
Shearer wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:40 am Here is a couple of 1047 I was asked to post here.

Grant
Those are absolutely beautiful :shock: knives Grant! ::tu:: ::nod::
Thanks Tom .I've had them for several years and still like getting them out to look at them and clean and oil them.

Grant
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Shearer wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:40 am Here.....
Beautiful variations Grant. ::tu:: ::tu::

Skip
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Papa Bones, great information on the Sta Sharp in the early Sear catalogue. ::handshake:: ::handshake::

Shearer, thanks for the pic. It is knice to see one of those in what ever thread. Wonderful knives. ::nod:: ::nod:: ::handshake::

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”