Head scratcher oddball Camillus Sword Brand 72...

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
Kai76

Head scratcher oddball Camillus Sword Brand 72...

Post by Kai76 »

Hi guys, I’ve had this 72? for a while now and have never seen another like it. I am hoping for you guys’ knowledgeable opinions on it please.

It has bone covers with nickel silver? liners. The brass rocker pin is spun. The other 2 pins are hammered and not brass but nickel silver? It has the same blade configuration as the first cataloged 72 in 1946. Half stops on both pen and coping blades, no half stop on main clip. Main clip is saber ground on both sides and is etched “UNITED”. It has a regular nail nick instead of a long pull. Mark side of main clip tang has the Sword Brand crossed swords stamp. Pile side of main clip tang is stamped “3025”. Mark side of pen tang is stamped “CAMILLUS/CUT.CO./N.Y.U.S.A. Pile side of pen tang doesn’t have a stamp. Coping has no tang stamps.

Is this a mock up parts knife, a SFO, a one off? ::shrug::
Would really appreciate to hear from you guys, thank you!
6F6BF2D7-7980-4A6D-9896-BC256DD8CBAD.jpeg
F16AEC4E-A68B-402A-9144-E907076C200F.jpeg
D3EB6EC7-A706-479E-A0CE-8A4B80B9E0F2.jpeg
1D462D7B-8032-4915-9D1B-2FC325B877CA.jpeg
363A753F-1BF3-44DD-B1CD-4CA4D78CD43B.jpeg
6A3AB361-5D54-4865-A8BD-6EBA1230FCF9.jpeg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Head scratcher oddball Camillus Sword Brand 72...

Post by jerryd6818 »

Oh my goodness. Could this be the elusive genesis of the Camillus 72 and in "Oh my goodness condition"? I would give the pucker in my butt for that knife.
Attachments
6F6BF2D7-7980-4A6D-9896-BC256DD8CBAD.jpg
6A3AB361-5D54-4865-A8BD-6EBA1230FCF9.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

....I have seen that shield on some of the older split-spring whittlers, I have 2 with that shield, but they are 4 line marked!!!...... ::tu:: ...........
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Can't help you, but.......WOW!! ::tu:: :D ::not_worthy::
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
Kai76

Post by Kai76 »

jerryd6818 wrote:Oh my goodness. Could this be the elusive genesis of the Camillus 72 and in "Oh my goodness condition"? I would give the pucker in my butt for that knife.
Hi Jerry, could it really be?? It is in mint condition, edges are factory and unused. Thanks for sharpening up the photos! ::tu::
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

What ya goin’ do now, Marine? ::poke:: :)
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

treefarmer wrote:What ya goin’ do now, Marine? ::poke:: :)
Treefarmer
Get the drool bucket out and just sit here for a while.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Kai76

Post by Kai76 »

carrmillus wrote:....I have seen that shield on some of the older split-spring whittlers, I have 2 with that shield, but they are 4 line marked!!!...... ::tu:: ...........
Yes I’ve seen that shield on some of the older knives too but not commonly seen I believe. The same goes for the pen blade tang stamp, I haven’t seen too many of those in my meager experience with Camillus knives in general.
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

I watched it sell on the bay a while back. Then it showed up on BF. Wondered if it would show up over here some day. Nice knife.
David
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I have a couple of knives with that same tang stamp but they don't have the glimp shield like the one in the OP. In fact these are both federal shield's but two different types of federal shield. This is the date of this tang stamp? CAMILLUS/CUT.CO./N.Y. U.S.A.
Does anyone else have examples of this tang stamp?
Camillus # 2513 a.jpg
Camillus # 2513 b.jpg
Camillus Cut Co Sword Brand celluloid a.jpg
Camillus Cut Co Sword Brand celluloid b.jpg
I have no firm time frame for this tang stamp. I would think it is definitely before World War II for several reasons:
1 – We have fairly decent records of what Camillus has produced since the end of World War II.
2 – Tom Williams said the use of the word cutlery was dropped from the four-line tang stamp at the end of World War II, or thereabouts. Since Cut. is an abbreviation for the word cutlery I think that would also placed prior to World War II.
3 – We know that Camillus was pursuing alternate handle materials during and after World War II. JerryD's famous "shrinky-dink" handles were actually produced towards the end of World War II.
4 – The OP knife and the butter & molasses celluloid I posted both had four digit model numbers on one of the blades. The 1946 Camillus catalog has one and two digit model numbers. The Hawkbill pruner is model #1, but the prewar model number for the Hawkbill pruner is #1001. I have a 1001 and I asked Tom Williams about it before he passed and he told me that 1001 was the four digit prewar model number.
5 – Of the two knives I posted above I believe the butter & molasses is the oldest one judging by the shield. The black and white celluloid knife beneath the butter & molasses has the type of shield that was very popular in the 1930s. That shield is attached by tabs or prongs that push into the celluloid when it is made and are held securely to the handle by tabs at the top and the bottom of that shield that are embedded in the celluloid. I can date that I bought shield back to the Streamline Sword Brand knives which were made circa 1936 if memory serves me, (which it sometimes doesn't).

Now, if the three line CAMILLUS/CUT.CO./N.Y. U.S.A. weren't bad enough they also had a four-line and a five line version of that very same tang stamp!

The four and five line versions of this tang stamp I have seen were all on bartenders knives that were stamped on the tang of the blade that had a caplifter cut into that tang.
This four-line version of the Cut. tang stamp is courtesy of Vit.
This four-line version of the Cut. tang stamp is courtesy of Vit.
This five line version of the Cut. tang stamp is courtesy of Welderbob
This five line version of the Cut. tang stamp is courtesy of Welderbob
It's understandable why they might abbreviate cutlery as Cut. on such a small knife was such a narrow tang however, there is no need to abbreviate cutlery on the knife in the OP nor is there need to do so on the two knives I posted above.

At one time I sought to put all of Camillus is tang stamps in chronological order. I have a folder full of various Camillus tang stamps on my computer, some of which are rarely seen! Does anyone have any idea when the 3 line version was used? How about the 4 & 5 line versions? ::shrug::
I think I have given up on the chronological ordering of the Camillus tang stamps, there are too many that don't seem to be tied to any known dates! ::dang::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

........only one I have that is similar to these is an old tobacco knife that is 4 line stamped on both blades..the pick is so narrow that it's not stamped!!!............ ::shrug:: ....................
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

......I have two knives stamped with what I thought was the earliest tang stamp-one is a swell center ebonywood tuxedo knife-3 line-curved CAMILLUS with dash, dot, dash underline, 2nd line-cutlery co., 3rd line- new York-both blades are marked like this-goin's says 1902-1915........... ::shrug:: .................
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

jerryd6818 wrote:Oh my goodness. Could this be the elusive genesis of the Camillus 72 and in "Oh my goodness condition"? I would give the pucker in my butt for that knife.
Uh oh.... 2 - "Oh my goodnesses" in the same statement....
This could be serious.

:shock:
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Meridian_Mike wrote:
Uh oh.... 2 - "Oh my goodnesses" in the same statement....
This could be serious.

:shock:
Mike, it's very serious!!!
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Kai76

Post by Kai76 »

orvet wrote:I have a couple of knives with that same tang stamp but they don't have the glimp shield like the one in the OP. In fact these are both federal shield's but two different types of federal shield. This is the date of this tang stamp? CAMILLUS/CUT.CO./N.Y. U.S.A.
Does anyone else have examples of this tang stamp?
Camillus # 2513 a.jpg
Camillus # 2513 b.jpg
Camillus Cut Co Sword Brand celluloid a.jpg
Camillus Cut Co Sword Brand celluloid b.jpg

I have no firm time frame for this tang stamp. I would think it is definitely before World War II for several reasons:
1 – We have fairly decent records of what Camillus has produced since the end of World War II.
2 – Tom Williams said the use of the word cutlery was dropped from the four-line tang stamp at the end of World War II, or thereabouts. Since Cut. is an abbreviation for the word cutlery I think that would also placed prior to World War II.
3 – We know that Camillus was pursuing alternate handle materials during and after World War II. JerryD's famous "shrinky-dink" handles were actually produced towards the end of World War II.
4 – The OP knife and the butter & molasses celluloid I posted both had four digit model numbers on one of the blades. The 1946 Camillus catalog has one and two digit model numbers. The Hawkbill pruner is model #1, but the prewar model number for the Hawkbill pruner is #1001. I have a 1001 and I asked Tom Williams about it before he passed and he told me that 1001 was the four digit prewar model number.
5 – Of the two knives I posted above I believe the butter & molasses is the oldest one judging by the shield. The black and white celluloid knife beneath the butter & molasses has the type of shield that was very popular in the 1930s. That shield is attached by tabs or prongs that push into the celluloid when it is made and are held securely to the handle by tabs at the top and the bottom of that shield that are embedded in the celluloid. I can date that I bought shield back to the Streamline Sword Brand knives which were made circa 1936 if memory serves me, (which it sometimes doesn't).

Now, if the three line CAMILLUS/CUT.CO./N.Y. U.S.A. weren't bad enough they also had a four-line and a five line version of that very same tang stamp!

The four and five line versions of this tang stamp I have seen were all on bartenders knives that were stamped on the tang of the blade that had a caplifter cut into that tang.

Camillus Cut Co 4 line stamp from Vit.jpg
Welderbob Camillus.JPG

It's understandable why they might abbreviate cutlery as Cut. on such a small knife was such a narrow tang however, there is no need to abbreviate cutlery on the knife in the OP nor is there need to do so on the two knives I posted above.

At one time I sought to put all of Camillus is tang stamps in chronological order. I have a folder full of various Camillus tang stamps on my computer, some of which are rarely seen! Does anyone have any idea when the 3 line version was used? How about the 4 & 5 line versions? ::shrug::
I think I have given up on the chronological ordering of the Camillus tang stamps, there are too many that don't seem to be tied to any known dates! ::dang::
I appreciate the nice comments guys! Dale, thanks so much for your time and all the info! Also much appreciation to the knowledgeable folks on here and to Dale and his buddies for the efforts put into archiving the history of Camillus.

So with the CAMILLUS/CUT.CO./N.Y. U.S.A and the 4 digit model number stamps on my knife, it’s pretty safe to say that my knife is at least as old as pre WW2 or possibly a little older I guess? It’s also safe to say that there’s definitely more to the history and roots of the 72 than what is already known, and it goes back to before 1946. I really would like to find out the time frame of when the CAMILLUS/CUT.CO./N.Y. U.S.A. was used. As it’s been said before, dating a Camillus can be a real puzzle!! There are still quite a few question marks on my knife - the regular nail nick instead of the match strike long pull on the main clip and the nickel silver?(non magnetic) hammered pins(not spun). Does anyone have or seen a 72 with hammered pins and a regular nail nick instead of a long pull? The bomb shield and nickel silver liners are also not common on 72’s I think? And that UNITED etch, what’s up with that??

If only knives could talk...
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Shearer »

https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/co ... e-shields/

I found this reference on the Camillus shields.I don't know who wrote it.

Grant
Politicians should be like a good pocket knife ." Sharp and useful "
Kai76

Post by Kai76 »

Interesting, haven’t seen that before. Thanks for the link!
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey Kai76, If you dont mind, I am working on the Sword Brand stamp only myself in another thread here on the Camillus forum & would like to add your stamping if that is ok with you Sir?
Thank you kindly
Mark
I Buy/Sell/Trade All Vintage Antique Pocket knives from Junkers to Mint. I am Easy going, so Please shoot me a message ANYTIME!!! l Live & Breath KNIVES Everyday.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Oh man! Wonderful knife.

This is a “Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!” situation.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Kai76 wrote: And that UNITED etch, what’s up with that??

If only knives could talk...
I would think it's an advertiser.

If only.

Am I the only one that wonders why, it the knife is pre-WWII why is it the only one we've ever seen? The 72 pattern was so popular from WWII on, wouldn't you think it would have been just as popular before the war and there would be at least a few survivors floating around. Things that make you go, HUH?
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

....I have 2 similar to these, one is a "72", smooth brown bone handles,worked liners, 4 point oval shield,sword brand and 4 line marked on the master blade...the other is a split-spring, same bone, worked liners, 4 point oval shield,4 line marked on master only.....I have never seen others anywhere like these two????............ ::shrug:: ..............
Kai76

Post by Kai76 »

ratlesnake75 wrote:Hey Kai76, If you dont mind, I am working on the Sword Brand stamp only myself in another thread here on the Camillus forum & would like to add your stamping if that is ok with you Sir?
Thank you kindly
Mark
Hi Mark, but of course and yes please! I’m happy to be able to contribute to your other thread on here. I’m also eager myself to learn more about Sword Brand tang stamps. Thank you for doing this! ::tu::

Nick
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey Nick, Thank you Very much Sir. I didnt want to just steal your pretty pics, lol. We are like family around here brother
Kindest Regards,
Mark
I Buy/Sell/Trade All Vintage Antique Pocket knives from Junkers to Mint. I am Easy going, so Please shoot me a message ANYTIME!!! l Live & Breath KNIVES Everyday.
Kai76

Post by Kai76 »

All good Mark! I hope the info you gather will help to find the missing pieces to the Camillus Sword Brand tang stamps mystery puzzle.
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

Kai76 wrote:Hi guys, I’ve had this 72? for a while now and have never seen another like it. I am hoping for you guys’ knowledgeable opinions on it please.

It has bone covers with nickel silver? liners. The brass rocker pin is spun. The other 2 pins are hammered and not brass but nickel silver? It has the same blade configuration as the first cataloged 72 in 1946. Half stops on both pen and coping blades, no half stop on main clip. Main clip is saber ground on both sides and is etched “UNITED”. It has a regular nail nick instead of a long pull. Mark side of main clip tang has the Sword Brand crossed swords stamp. Pile side of main clip tang is stamped “3025”. Mark side of pen tang is stamped “CAMILLUS/CUT.CO./N.Y.U.S.A. Pile side of pen tang doesn’t have a stamp. Coping has no tang stamps.

Is this a mock up parts knife, a SFO, a one off? ::shrug::
Would really appreciate to hear from you guys, thank you!
6F6BF2D7-7980-4A6D-9896-BC256DD8CBAD.jpeg
F16AEC4E-A68B-402A-9144-E907076C200F.jpeg
D3EB6EC7-A706-479E-A0CE-8A4B80B9E0F2.jpeg
1D462D7B-8032-4915-9D1B-2FC325B877CA.jpeg
363A753F-1BF3-44DD-B1CD-4CA4D78CD43B.jpeg
6A3AB361-5D54-4865-A8BD-6EBA1230FCF9.jpeg
..don't have my goin's handy, but I think the 3 line stamp is pre WW2????............. ::tu:: .............

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”