Paratrooper dates

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
OSCAR

Paratrooper dates

Post by OSCAR »

I know that Camillus knives are difficult to date but can anyone tell me what years the auto paratroopers were made ? Is there any way to date a particular knife? I would guess most were around WWII, as our military has used fewer paratroopers as techniques of warfare have changed since then. Thanks Oscar
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Re: Paratrooper dates

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

OSCAR wrote:I know that Camillus knives are difficult to date but can anyone tell me what years the auto paratroopers were made ? Is there any way to date a particular knife? I would guess most were around WWII, as our military has used fewer paratroopers as techniques of warfare have changed since then. Thanks Oscar
I'm sure someone will chime in and prove me wrong, but I'll give it a try. I found this somewhere on line, maybe it'll answer your question. ::shrug::

"Camillus military MC1 paratrooper knife with line cutting blade. This knife was made for the US military by Camillus from around 1960 into the early 2000s. These were not only military issue, but they were also used by NASA in the space program. The knife measures 4 1/4" closed and 7 3/8" open and it has steel liners. Paratroopers would leave the airplane with the hook blade open and the knife connected to their jump suit by a lanyard cord. That way it was ready for use at a moment's notice to cut tangled parachute cords. The clip blade could be quickly deployed if more intensive cutting was needed."
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
OSCAR

Re: Paratrooper dates

Post by OSCAR »

Thanks for the prompt reply. I have searched for weeks and haven’t found anything on this particular knife ! I appreciate the information and quick response. Oscar
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”