Tell me about the 1982 annual Remington Bullet Knife.

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
Modern Slip Joints

Tell me about the 1982 annual Remington Bullet Knife.

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

It is rumored that in the past they sold for hundreds of dollars. That would have to have been too many collectors wanting the limited supply. The knife did not cost a spectacular amount to manufacture.

When closed how long was it and is there a common name for the basic handle pattern?

In addition to those stamped Remington Camillus made many of the other bullet knives with their own name on them. Did Camillus do that with the 1982 annual Rem. Bullet pattern?
kootenay joe

Re: Tell me about the 1982 annual Remington Bullet Knife.

Post by kootenay joe »

The Camillus Bullet Repro knives began in 1982 with the 1123 pattern which is a 4 1/2" 'heavy trapper'. Back about 15 years ago these would sell for about $250. All of the subsequent years Bullet Repros would only get about $40, new in box. Not sure why the 1982 Repros were worth so much more. Maybe far fewer made ? Also i don't know how much prices might have changed since around 2005. I do have examples of most years and would like to sell them so i hope someone will comment about current prices.
kj
Modern Slip Joints

I have not finished reading through the threads that Vit_213 linked yet but in a nut shell the 1982 annual knife was the Jumbo Trapper fitted with the pattern's standard blades. Other than the combination of Delrin and blade etchings it is a common knife.

I'm not going to comment on the value of the first annual knife but I have been collecting the larger bullet knives. With brown Delrin sides they usually are bid to $30 to $50 plus shipping. With jigged brown bone and sterling silver bullet shields add about 40%. Demand for the 2000 Navigator and 1994 Camp knife appears to be low. The pattern that I most often see forum members write that they sometimes carry is the 1984 1303 or 1990 1306. They are a single blade lock back version of the Jumbo Trapper pattern. However, most buyers prefer modern one hand opening knives.

I like the Camp knife in a belt pouch. Its master makes a good parie knife for my garden and orchard, its sheep's foot is a good substitute for a carpenters knife and during the summer its bottle opener is handy. I use the sheep's foot most often. I seldom carry a multi tool or Swiss Army knife because I've never seen one with a sheep's foot blade and a tool box with better tools is usually not far away. It is lonely advocating the R4243 Camp knife but it works for me.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The R4243 is my favorite Bullet knife as well. At 4 3/4" with a long awl and thick liners it is a knife you could depend on when in the back country. The GEC #98 "Texas Camp Knife" from 2016 looks like it was inspired by this Remington Bullet pattern. It too is a solid knife but the liners are not quite as thick.
kj
Attachments
IMGP7582.JPG
IMGP7583.JPG
IMGP7584.JPG
IMGP7586.JPG
IMGP7587.JPG
Modern Slip Joints

kj,

Very nice pictures. Thank-you for posting them.

The one I carry around has Delrin sides but other wise that's it. From the back they appear to have super thick side liners but they actually have standard thickness side liners and three thick cut away liners to make room for over lapping blades. The bottle opener/flat head is a more useful tool for me than GEC's combination bottle & can opener. I have not opened a can with a pocket knife since I experimented opening cans with my camp knife in elementary school. I'd prefer the awl was a #2 Phillips Head but I use the awl more than I expected I would. While it's far from my idea of an ideal knife for the job I cleaned salmon with mine this week. The GEC 98 Camp Knife would never be more than a collector item for me. I would not use a $200-$300 carbon steel knife around salt water.
Modern Slip Joints

Shifting back to the original topic, the first Camillus made Bullet Knife, the 1982 annual knife, an eBay auction for one ended yesterday. It had the crack in the Delrin at the lanyard hole that is so common on bald head Camillus Delrin knives and some kind of grunge or possibly corrosion in on the insides of the back springs and no box but looked unused. It got no bids at $70 shipped. Another in excellent condition in its original hinged case was approaching $150 the last I looked. I'm curious where the nice one will end.
Modern Slip Joints

Modern Slip Joints wrote: [...] Another [1982 annual knife] in excellent condition in its original hinged case was approaching $150 the last I looked. I'm curious where the nice one will end.
$180.35 shipped. I takes a nice stag handle knife to get me to consider approaching than price.

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”