Camillus Electrician Linesman Knife

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
woodwalker

Camillus Electrician Linesman Knife

Post by woodwalker »

Just bought this one at my local Antique shop for 5 bucks. Happy with it. Tang reads Camillus New York USA. Researched it and should be from the 60"s to late 70's. Heavy stout rascall. Thanks for looking! :)
Attachments
20191026_163310.jpg
20191026_163322.jpg
20191026_163335.jpg
20191026_163352.jpg
20191026_163416.jpg
20191026_163424.jpg
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Camillus Electrician Linesman Knife

Post by carrmillus »

.....good find!!!............. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::................
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

carrmillus wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:51 pm .....good find!!!............. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::................
Thank you sir! :)
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Like the Swiss Army Classic, you can't have enough of them! A decent size EDC knife with a screwdriver that also makes a good light pry tool. I have them in pretty much all my toolkits, toolboxes, and plan to put one in my truck. Been looking at getting one built into a Wharncliffe mod. Attempted it a couple of times myself on knives with broken/damaged screwdrivers, only to fail miserably.

Counting Craftsman, I think most of mine are Camillus; though I do have a Case (which is known to be a Camillus product), Wostenholm (an electrician knife, but not related to the TL-29, same blades and frame shape is the only similarity), a Rough Rider, two Boker, a couple of Imperials (I think some were actually Camillus), a couple of Colonials, a Schrade Walden, and a Garder Bender which is a pile of junk. They used to use Colonial, then went with obviously, the lowest bidder, while charging more than Rough Rider.
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

cody6268 wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:26 pm Like the Swiss Army Classic, you can't have enough of them! A decent size EDC knife with a screwdriver that also makes a good light pry tool. I have them in pretty much all my toolkits, toolboxes, and plan to put one in my truck. Been looking at getting one built into a Wharncliffe mod. Attempted it a couple of times myself on knives with broken/damaged screwdrivers, only to fail miserably.

Counting Craftsman, I think most of mine are Camillus; though I do have a Case (which is known to be a Camillus product), Wostenholm (an electrician knife, but not related to the TL-29, same blades and frame shape is the only similarity), a Rough Rider, two Boker, a couple of Imperials (I think some were actually Camillus), a couple of Colonials, a Schrade Walden, and a Garder Bender which is a pile of junk. They used to use Colonial, then went with obviously, the lowest bidder, while charging more than Rough Rider.
Thanks Cody. The only other one I have is a Case Tested one. It has wood scales. I actually like this Camillus better. They are a well built knife. Nice to have it as i am sure it will come in handy at times. And the price was definitely right. Have a good weekend. :)
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

A fine old reliable tool. ::tu::
Joe
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

FRJ wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:30 am A fine old reliable tool. ::tu::
Thanks Joe!! :) Dang good to hear from you!! Hope your doing great!! ::handshake::
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you woodwalker.
I'm doing well with God's grace. ::nod::
Joe
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Kevin, I'm glad to see you called it by it's proper name "Electrician Linesman Knife" instead of it's slang name "TL-29". Congratulations on your find. Now, if I could just find a genuine TL-29 (A military unit with TL-29 stamped on the handle.). Preferably in decent condition (it doesn't have to be perfect in the cosmoline) and not priced sky high. Maybe I'm asking too much. It's not a grail knife but it is one I'd like to have to make my CS-34 Signal Corps tool kit more genuine. The pliers are Utica marked TL-13A but the electrician's knife is a mid-80s Camillus. ::shrug::

Edit: Found one and it's Utica to match the pliers. He claims it's WWII. Maybe, maybe not. It has wood handles and is stamped TL-29 which is good enough for me. The best part? The price was very reasonable.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

jerryd6818 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:42 pm Kevin, I'm glad to see you called it by it's proper name "Electrician Linesman Knife" instead of it's slang name "TL-29". Congratulations on your find. Now, if I could just find a genuine TL-29 (A military unit with TL-29 stamped on the handle.). Preferably in decent condition (it doesn't have to be perfect in the cosmoline) and not priced sky high. Maybe I'm asking too much. It's not a grail knife but it is one I'd like to have to make my CS-34 Signal Corps tool kit more genuine. The pliers are Utica marked TL-13A but the electrician's knife is a mid-80s Camillus. ::shrug::

Edit: Found one and it's Utica to match the pliers. He claims it's WWII. Maybe, maybe not. It has wood handles and is stamped TL-29 which is good enough for me. The best part? The price was very reasonable.
Excited to see the pic when you get it. Congrats. ::nod::
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

As far as I know, the CS-34 is a Leather Pouch from the TE-33 Tool Kit... :roll:
I don't remember whether I showed on this forum my Signal Corps Tool Kit or not. I hope no one will be offended if this is a repetition :) .
Attachments
TE33_1.jpg
TE33_2.jpg
TE33_3.jpg
TE33_4.jpg
TE33_5.jpg
TE33_6.jpg
TE33_7.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Vit, I'm not offended. Maybe a little jealous. ::nod:: ::nod:: ::tu:: ::tu::
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

jerryd6818 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:42 pm Kevin, I'm glad to see you called it by it's proper name "Electrician Linesman Knife" instead of it's slang name "TL-29". Congratulations on your find. Now, if I could just find a genuine TL-29 (A military unit with TL-29 stamped on the handle.). Preferably in decent condition (it doesn't have to be perfect in the cosmoline) and not priced sky high. Maybe I'm asking too much. It's not a grail knife but it is one I'd like to have to make my CS-34 Signal Corps tool kit more genuine. The pliers are Utica marked TL-13A but the electrician's knife is a mid-80s Camillus. ::shrug::

Thanks Jerry. Glad you found what you were looking for. :)
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

Vit_213 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:52 pm As far as I know, the CS-34 is a Leather Pouch from the TE-33 Tool Kit... :roll:
I don't remember whether I showed on this forum my Signal Corps Tool Kit or not. I hope no one will be offended if this is a repetition :) .
Very nice Vit!! :)
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Vit is of course correct. the Leather Pouch is the CS-34 and Tool Kit is a TE-33. I was trying to act like I knew what I was talking about and got caught. Thanks for the correction Vit. The TL-29 knife I found is marked out for delivery so today sometime. ::pray::
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

jerryd6818 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:01 pm The TL-29 knife I found is marked out for delivery so today sometime. ::pray::
I want to see it ::nod:: .
P.S. Jerry, no matter what, it seems to me that you know much more about Camillus knives than me :roll: .
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Very recently, this pocket knife arrived and it now becomes the latest example to join this topic or thread and to join my general CAMILLUS pocket knife collection. It came in a very large group or lot of pocket knives that I bought. I was very happy to find it, but I did not buy the group or lot for this particular pocket knife. It is a CAMILLUS, one blade, one blade/tool, one tang stamp (double line), 3 3/4" closed (not including the bail), electrician or linesman pattern or style of pocket knife. The tang stamp reads "CAMILLUS (over) New York (over) U.S.A." Both the blade and the blade/tool have great half stops and both have a VERY WICKED opening and closing snap. It is in VERY GOOD condition. It did require some very light cleaning. I took some pictures and here it is.
Caption(s), if any, are on the BOTTOM of the corresponding picture(s).
Click on a picture to ENLARGE.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
The Main Blade Front Tang Stamp.
The Main Blade Front Tang Stamp.
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."