Reasonably rare Camillus

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Reasonably rare Camillus

Post by doglegg »

Perusing the bay the other day I ran across this old Camillus. It is not a pattern I collect but the bone and the bow tie shield caught my eye.
DSCN6323.JPG
DSCN6324.JPG
It wasn't the condition of the blades that made me want to have it.
DSCN6326.JPG
But there was something about the tang stamp. These pictures are after a good cleaning.
DSCN6320.JPG
DSCN6322.JPG
Ah yes, a No Line tang stamp which would place it immediately after the war. After a little more cleaning I uncovered the model # 17
DSCN6319.JPG
Model 17 has the spear blade (model 16 had a clip for the main blade) and was in the 1946 catalog but was gone by the 1948 edition. So I have a no line post war, 1946 Heavy Equal End Jack model 17 only made 1 or 2 years. Paid a little more than I should ($38.00) but excited to get it.
DSCN6317.JPG
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Reasonably rare Camillus

Post by dlr110 »

I'm impressed, that is just the perfect knife that I like to collect when I can find them.
Great find doglegg!!! ::tu::
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

.....I have to go look, I think I have one of these somewhere!!!........ ::hmm:: ...................
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Floyd, that is one that for sure deserves the HOK designation!
That one looks "comfortable", probably someone's companion for many years.
I congratulate you on rescuing that one! ::tu::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

doglegg wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 1:10 pm Perusing the bay the other day I ran across this old Camillus. It is not a pattern I collect but the bone and the bow tie shield caught my eye. It wasn't the condition of the blades that made me want to have it. But there was something about the tang stamp. These pictures are after a good cleaning. Ah yes, a No Line tang stamp which would place it immediately after the war. After a little more cleaning I uncovered the model # 17. Model 17 has the spear blade (model 16 had a clip for the main blade) and was in the 1946 catalog but was gone by the 1948 edition. So I have a no line post war, 1946 Heavy Equal End Jack model 17 only made 1 or 2 years. Paid a little more than I should ($38.00) but excited to get it.
You took a chance, you won. NICE roll of the dice Floyd. ::tu::
Here are a couple of Camillus 16's for comparison.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

..bad memory again-the knife I was thinking about is an equal end, 3 backspring cattle knife, and it has just a plain bar shield. it IS the only Camillus I have that has 3 backsprings, however!!............. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ...................
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

My collection contains used knives almost exclusively. A used knife that still functions as it should seems to have 'character' or personality, that can speak to some of us knife collectors. They are good 'reference' knives because you know they are all original, never 'messed with'.
This Camillus jack #17 is fine example of a well used all original vintage knife.
kj
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Wow, Floyd. What a find and I can't see any imperfections in the handles. Congratulations!!!!!
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

dlr110 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 1:57 pm I'm impressed, that is just the perfect knife that I like to collect when I can find them.
Great find doglegg!!! ::tu::
Thanks, like finding the prized egg at Easter. ::handshake::
treefarmer wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 2:08 pm Floyd, that is one that for sure deserves the HOK designation!
That one looks "comfortable", probably someone's companion for many years.
I congratulate you on rescuing that one! ::tu::
Treefarmer
Thanks Philip, they seemed to use it but certainly didn't abuse it. ::handshake::
New_Windsor_NY wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 2:48 pm
doglegg wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 1:10 pm Perusing the bay the other day I ran across this old Camillus. It is not a pattern I collect but the bone and the bow tie shield caught my eye. It wasn't the condition of the blades that made me want to have it. But there was something about the tang stamp. These pictures are after a good cleaning. Ah yes, a No Line tang stamp which would place it immediately after the war. After a little more cleaning I uncovered the model # 17. Model 17 has the spear blade (model 16 had a clip for the main blade) and was in the 1946 catalog but was gone by the 1948 edition. So I have a no line post war, 1946 Heavy Equal End Jack model 17 only made 1 or 2 years. Paid a little more than I should ($38.00) but excited to get it.
You took a chance, you won. NICE roll of the dice Floyd. ::tu::
Here are a couple of Camillus 16's for comparison.
Skip thanks for the pictures for reference. Two knice ones there, I especially like the short line one. Very knice. ::tu:: ::handshake::
carrmillus wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 3:02 pm ..bad memory again-the knife I was thinking about is an equal end, 3 backspring cattle knife, and it has just a plain bar shield. it IS the only Camillus I have that has 3 backsprings, however!!............. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ...................
Thanks Tommy, I bet that cattle knife is a prize. One to keep an eye out for. ::handshake::
kootenay joe wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 4:18 pm My collection contains used knives almost exclusively. A used knife that still functions as it should seems to have 'character' or personality, that can speak to some of us knife collectors. They are good 'reference' knives because you know they are all original, never 'messed with'.
This Camillus jack #17 is fine example of a well used all original vintage knife.
kj
Roland I have to agree with you. I like the prestine ones but not more than the used ones. 'Character" is a good description. I think it gives the bones a warm look too. Thanks. ::nod:: ::handshake::
jerryd6818 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 4:19 pm Wow, Floyd. What a find and I can't see any imperfections in the handles. Congratulations!!!!!
Thanks Jerry, I thought the handle had been patched but when I soaked in in soapy water what ever it was came off. And a special thanks to you and Vit for educating me on the No Line. Vit's Camillus resource is priceless. ::handshake:: ::handshake::
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

Awesome piece Floyd. Thanks for all the info on that one as well. It helps us all out to learn about a knife! Enjoy!
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Thank you WW. I appreciate your kind words. ::handshake::
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

doglegg wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 1:10 pm Model 17 has the spear blade (model 16 had a clip for the main blade) and was in the 1946 catalog but was gone by the 1948 edition. So I have a no line post war, 1946 Heavy Equal End Jack model 17 only made 1 or 2 years.
Model #17 was not available already in 1947, so it was produced only one year. You really have a rare knife. Congratulations!

My #16
Attachments
16.jpg
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

..another mint example, vit!!!!............ ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ...............
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Thanks Vit. Wonderful 16. And no line as well. I appreciate all you do for us Camillus collectors. Thank you.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

doglegg wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 1:10 pm I uncovered the model # 17
It's a beauty, doglegg.
How long is this jack knife?
Joe
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

carrmillus wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 8:47 pm ..another mint example, vit!!!!............ ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ...............
Carrmillus, you flatter me! This is not mint at all ::tear:: .
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

FRJ wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 12:31 am
doglegg wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 1:10 pm I uncovered the model # 17
It's a beauty, doglegg.
How long is this jack knife?
The catalogue list the closed length as 3 5/8".
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

Vit_213 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 2:10 am
carrmillus wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 8:47 pm ..another mint example, vit!!!!............ ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ...............
Carrmillus, you flatter me! This is not mint at all ::tear:: .
....compared to most of the ones I am able to find over here , it looks gteat, vit!!!!!................... ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ...............
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Morning everyone, and hope your Easter Sunday is a good one .
Floyd ( Doglegg) Am going to post this 12 short line here, hope you don’t mind me tagging it on your post .
Want to thank a couple of you for help on this one ,would like to hear from others there thoughts,facts ,etc on this 12 .
Is it a one year run on production, and if so does anyone know approximately how many ?
Some nice 16 s and 17 s posted here , anyone have a 12 that you could show? Would be appreciated.
Thanks for a great post Floyd , always something nice to read and see from you and others here !
Attachments
28808528-B7FF-460D-B327-CF7A8CC8114E.jpeg
CF06F0EA-3F66-4347-9194-30DC20A23025.jpeg
6BF04D01-EE41-4700-A741-BB19DBC17730.jpeg
JP
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Ripster wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:51 pm Morning everyone, and hope your Easter Sunday is a good one .
Floyd ( Doglegg) Am going to post this 12 short line here, hope you don’t mind me tagging it on your post .
Want to thank a couple of you for help on this one ,would like to hear from others there thoughts,facts ,etc on this 12 .
Is it a one year run on production, and if so does anyone know approximately how many ?
Some nice 16 s and 17 s posted here , anyone have a 12 that you could show? Would be appreciated.
Thanks for a great post Floyd , always something nice to read and see from you and others here !
::tu:: ::tu:: ::nod::
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Ripster wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:51 pm Morning everyone, and hope your Easter Sunday is a good one .
JP I posted else where but here is my 12, a no line tang stamp so early after the war. I believe that they only used bone on them the first year and the 12 doesn't show up in the next catalogue.
DSCN6727.JPG
DSCN6728.JPG
DSCN6729.JPG
DSCN6731.JPG
DSCN6733.JPG
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

doglegg wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:47 am
JP I posted else where but here is my 12, a no line tang stamp so early after the war. I believe that they only used bone on them the first year and the 12 doesn't show up in the next catalogue. DSCN6727.JPGDSCN6728.JPGDSCN6729.JPGDSCN6731.JPGDSCN6733.JPG
Floyd ,that’s nice looking bone on your 12 ::tu::
Thanks for posting it, believe we have the Same shield as well. Really like the Ww2 period stuff ,and always something to learn ,and getting to be a challenge to find them .
Have a great day there my friend ::handshake::
JP
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

doglegg wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:47 am
JP I posted else where but here is my 12, a no line tang stamp so early after the war. I believe that they only used bone on them the first year and the 12 doesn't show up in the next catalogue. DSCN6727.JPGDSCN6728.JPGDSCN6729.JPGDSCN6731.JPGDSCN6733.JPG
Well, between you and JP, my heart is jumped up 20 beats. :lol: Floyd, that is just a down right beautiful knife. You and JP should be proud of those. ::tu:: ::tu::
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

JP has a beauty and I am fortunate to have one too. Thanks P. B. ::handshake::
msteele6

Post by msteele6 »

Beautiful old knives! :)

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”