MysteryKnife(to me anyway).....

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
knife7knut

MysteryKnife(to me anyway).....

Post by knife7knut »

While going through some knives in an old machinists' tool box that I reserve mainly for "Pacific Rim Detretius"(I cannot throw a knife away;even a piece of scrap)I happened upon this knife and opened it up to see the stamp. Imagine my surprise when I saw the Sword Brand logo and Camillus 885 Made in USA on the tang!
I thought it was another one of those knives from that infamous maker "Pak E. Stan" judging from the laminated wood handle and lack of rear bolsters.The quality is so-so and the biggest complaint I have is that the lock is almost impossible to operate when you desire to close it and there doesn't seem to be any easy way to correct the problem.
So my question is: Is this REALLY a USA made knife?
When did they come out and are they still being made? Possibly overseas.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: One thing I forgot to mention is the lack of pins in the handles. There doesn't seem to be any evidence of adhesive holding them on.And the bolster edge is vertical and only on one end.If the bolsters were cut on an angle you could get away with no pins.I'm wondering if the underside of the handles fit into a tab made from a raised portion of the liner like the old shell handled knives were.
Attachments
SwordBrand#885 001.jpg
SwordBrand#885 002.jpg
SwordBrand#885 003.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: MysteryKnife(to me anyway).....

Post by carrmillus »

.....I've only got one Camillus catalog, and it's from 1976, and it's not in that one. wish I had more info.......... ::shrug:: ..............
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Go to Collectors of Camillus web site, they have catalogues going back to 1946.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

I just googled Camillus 885 and it referred me to the 1992 catalog and there is an 885 lock back with wooden handles (Camillus Woodcraft) but it has bolsters on both ends and rivets in the picture.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

IMHO, it looks modified/re-handled to me. Blade/frame from Cam. 885, wood/handles by a mechanic. Also blade finish doesn't look factory.
::hmm::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

.....I agree, willy!!!..... ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ............
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Definitely not a "Crapistan". I don't have one, wish I did.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

After doing a bit of research I found one that is very similar to mine except for an insert in the handle.It is a George Washington commemorative and the knives were known as the,"Woodcraft" series.
EDIT here is a picture of the 885 with bolsters at both ends and the George Washington commemorative with bolsters just on the front.
Attachments
885GW.jpg
885.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

........another one I never saw before!!!!............. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: .......................
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

knife7knut
Perhaps your knife is made from leftover parts sold at auction. Camillus used multi-color laminated wood handles for Remington and Western knives in the late 90s, but I don’t remember that among them was the pattern 885 :roll: .

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”