Holy Grail

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
Vit_213

Holy Grail

Post by Vit_213 »

This topic viewtopic.php?f=63&t=36665 gave me the idea to create a separate topic.
Since every collector has his own "Holy Grail" (usually several), I suggest you share them here :) .
Vit_213

Re: Holy Grail

Post by Vit_213 »

Oddly enough, my first Holy Grail was released shortly before Camillus closed.
Camillus 18 XRAY #2535
2535 (1).jpg
Tom Williams wrote about this:
"The 18 X-Ray knife was the replacement for the MC-1 Paratrooper's knife. This knife was only produced for a short time before Camillus closed in February 2007. Approximately 700 knives were made. At the time that Camillus closed there were orders for several hundred thousand dollars in house for this new knife. Camillus could not produce this item because several parts of this knife came from an outside supplier that was owed a substantial amount of money and curtailed shipments of the parts."
(I'll add on my own - the name of "outside supplier" was Darrell Ralph.)
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

My Holy Grail knife.
Terrier Cutlery Barlow with the TCC on the bolster.
By the way.....I don't have one yet.
Attachments
Screenshot_20200920-201857.jpg
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

David, what a beautiful 2 blade Terrier Barlow ! There cannot be many of those around in any condition let alone top unused condition. Best of luck with your search.
kj
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Deleted by me.
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Various WWII military knives, fixed and folding.

That includes:

A mint condition TL-29, complete with the CS34 kit of TE-33 pliers and CS-34 pouch.

MKII Combat Knife (my current user example is from the '70s or '80s)
Among others

WWI "Red Cross" knife with spoon.

Various WWI rigging knives. Especially the Camillus version of the 5" British Navy/Army knife for the Canadian military.

#CUDA3 Rescue Knife

#5851 LEV-R-LOK Seatbelt Cutter. One new-in-box was listed on the store here last year for $38, and I didn't have the funds to buy it. That's the cheapest I ever saw one.

However, I haven't ever seen a Western #WD245 Southern Skinner or #WD246 Lil' Rascal (basically a #902 with Indian Stag Delrin handles and bolsters instead of Kraton grips) ever offered for sale. How rare are these? I see they were only made 1996-1998.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:26 pm Seeing as how this topic is in the CAMILLUS forum, I will only post my CAMILLUS "Holy Grail." I have also obtained one, of my two GEO. SCHRADE "Holy Grail" pocket knives. Here is the CAMILLUS.

Here is the link to the one GEO. SCHRADE "Holy Grail" pocket knife that I have.
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3137&start=435#p848105

Please accept my sincerest apologies for failing to notice this was in the Camillus forum.
I typically just search unread post and apparently wasn't paying close attention.
Believe me, I was not attempting to be a rebel.
I see no reason for the snarky comment.
In the future I will strive for the perfection you seem to have reached.
Thank you for this opportunity to improve myself.
David
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

kootenay joe wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:40 am David, what a beautiful 2 blade Terrier Barlow ! There cannot be many of those around in any condition let alone top unused condition. Best of luck with your search.
kj
Thank you KJ, you are correct this is a beautiful Barlow. I have never seen one in person.
I believe Charlie Noyes has one. Since my post was not a Camillus and I don't have a Camillus Holy Grail I wont post in this thread.
David
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Mine is fairly mundane - any pre-1945 Camillus in mint condition with genuine stag handles.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
TPK

Post by TPK »

Well If we are only talking about Camillus, I'd say it would be a Camco Camillus Purina knife. ::nod:: ::tu::
I'm also very fond of 72's but I do have one of them. ::tu::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
TPK

Post by TPK »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:26 pm Seeing as how this topic is in the CAMILLUS forum, I will only post my CAMILLUS "Holy Grail." I have also obtained one, of my two GEO. SCHRADE "Holy Grail" pocket knives. Here is the CAMILLUS.

That's a beauty Skip! Congrats Buddy! ::handshake:: :D
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

......Camillus split spring ,3 line, rogers bone whittler!!!!................ ::pray:: .......................
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

edge213 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:45 pm

Please accept my sincerest apologies for failing to notice this was in the Camillus forum.
I typically just search unread post and apparently wasn't paying close attention.
Believe me, I was not attempting to be a rebel.
I see no reason for the snarky comment.
In the future I will strive for the perfection you seem to have reached.
Thank you for this opportunity to improve myself.
??????? That wasn't meant as a negative towards you or anyone else! I was merely stating that I had more "Holy Grails" than just CAMILLUS. I would rather post them ALL under one topic than just here and there. If you took my meaning the wrong way, there's nothing I can do about that. Also, I use all CAPS for CAMILLUS because that's the way it's on the tang stamp. C'mon David, really? ::shrug::

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

TPK wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:24 pm That's a beauty.....
Thank you Tom. I deleted it.
::handshake::

Skip
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

Another Holy Grail I have long dreamed of ::ds::.
It's not in the best condition, but it looks pretty good. So far I have not done anything with it, but after a while I will try to clean it up a little with WD-40. Perhaps the tangstamps will be seen better :roll: .
An interesting feature - I have never seen a Camillus Sunfish with such a nail notch on main blade before... ::shrug::
Attachments
IMG_6189_hf.jpg
IMG_6192_hf.jpg
IMG_6193_hf.jpg
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Vit_213 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:47 pm Another Holy Grail I have long dreamed of ::ds::.
It's not in the best condition, but it looks pretty good. So far I have not done anything with it, but after a while I will try to clean it up a little with WD-40. Perhaps the tangstamps will be seen better :roll: .
An interesting feature - I have never seen a Camillus Sunfish with such a nail notch on main blade before... ::shrug::
That one is plumb slick! ::tu::
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Great looking knives and thread, Vit. ::tu::

Mine would be a mint Cattaraugus (monkey) wrench knife or a King of the Woods. I have the Cattaraugus 1-W & 3-Ws. Pictures borrowed for illustrative purposes.
Attachments
tchamplinknifewrenchpatent1917.jpg
20090408_0986.jpg
202963760658.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
eveled

Post by eveled »

My Holy Grail is an original Eugene Stone knife.

For those who don’t know the story Stone was on a USN ship in WW2 and took service blades and cast aluminum handles onto the tangs. They had a 💀 on the end for a pommel a fish scale pattern carved into the aluminum and knuckles for punching. Usually associated with KA-BAR blades but was done on almost any blade so it could easily have been a Camillus.

KA-BAR has issued a version minus the knuckles and made by Eugenes Son. Pretty neat tribute, but out of my league money wise. When you can’t even afford the copy there is no point in looking for an original.
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

...vit, I have 2(4line stamped) and both have the curved and straight pulls!!.... ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: .............
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

eveled wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:15 pm My Holy Grail is an original Eugene Stone knife.

For those who don’t know the story Stone was on a USN ship in WW2 and took service blades and cast aluminum handles onto the tangs. They had a 💀 on the end for a pommel a fish scale pattern carved into the aluminum and knuckles for punching. Usually associated with KA-BAR blades but was done on almost any blade so it could easily have been a Camillus.

KA-BAR has issued a version minus the knuckles and made by Eugenes Son. Pretty neat tribute, but out of my league money wise. When you can’t even afford the copy there is no point in looking for an original.

I know exactly what you are talking about. ::tu:: I too wouldn't mind finding one that's not a bank breaker.
https://www.ewstoneknife.com/knives/e-w ... bra-knife/
Attachments
64M6STONEVN49.jpeg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Great pick up Vit. ::nod:: ::nod::
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Vit_213 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:47 pm Another Holy Grail I have long dreamed of ::ds::.
Wow Vit! Beautiful!
David
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Vit, don’t know how I missed this one! But Holy Cow,what a Piece. Have never held one of those( yet) .
Thank You for sharing that with us ::tu:: ::tu::
That’s has to be about the best looking Camillus have seen !
JP
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

The Queen Dan Burke Black Lip Pearl is my grail knife. I would give the pucker in my butt for one in perfect condition.
Attachments
Queen Dan Burke Black Lip Pearl - Open.jpg
Queen Dan Burke Black Lip Pearl - Handle.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

jerryd6818 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:27 am The Queen Dan Burke Black Lip Pearl is my grail knife. I would give the pucker in my butt for one in perfect condition.
::tu:: ::tu:: Very nice ,that black lip pearl is stunning!
JP

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”