Holy Grail

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Holy Grail

Post by Colonel26 »

Vit_213 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:47 pm Another Holy Grail I have long dreamed of ::ds::.
It's not in the best condition, but it looks pretty good. So far I have not done anything with it, but after a while I will try to clean it up a little with WD-40. Perhaps the tangstamps will be seen better :roll: .
An interesting feature - I have never seen a Camillus Sunfish with such a nail notch on main blade before... ::shrug::
That one is plumb slick! ::tu::
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Great looking knives and thread, Vit. ::tu::

Mine would be a mint Cattaraugus (monkey) wrench knife or a King of the Woods. I have the Cattaraugus 1-W & 3-Ws. Pictures borrowed for illustrative purposes.
Attachments
tchamplinknifewrenchpatent1917.jpg
20090408_0986.jpg
202963760658.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
eveled

Post by eveled »

My Holy Grail is an original Eugene Stone knife.

For those who don’t know the story Stone was on a USN ship in WW2 and took service blades and cast aluminum handles onto the tangs. They had a 💀 on the end for a pommel a fish scale pattern carved into the aluminum and knuckles for punching. Usually associated with KA-BAR blades but was done on almost any blade so it could easily have been a Camillus.

KA-BAR has issued a version minus the knuckles and made by Eugenes Son. Pretty neat tribute, but out of my league money wise. When you can’t even afford the copy there is no point in looking for an original.
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

...vit, I have 2(4line stamped) and both have the curved and straight pulls!!.... ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: .............
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

eveled wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:15 pm My Holy Grail is an original Eugene Stone knife.

For those who don’t know the story Stone was on a USN ship in WW2 and took service blades and cast aluminum handles onto the tangs. They had a 💀 on the end for a pommel a fish scale pattern carved into the aluminum and knuckles for punching. Usually associated with KA-BAR blades but was done on almost any blade so it could easily have been a Camillus.

KA-BAR has issued a version minus the knuckles and made by Eugenes Son. Pretty neat tribute, but out of my league money wise. When you can’t even afford the copy there is no point in looking for an original.

I know exactly what you are talking about. ::tu:: I too wouldn't mind finding one that's not a bank breaker.
https://www.ewstoneknife.com/knives/e-w ... bra-knife/
Attachments
64M6STONEVN49.jpeg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Great pick up Vit. ::nod:: ::nod::
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Vit_213 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:47 pm Another Holy Grail I have long dreamed of ::ds::.
It's not in the best condition, but it looks pretty good. So far I have not done anything with it, but after a while I will try to clean it up a little with WD-40. Perhaps the tangstamps will be seen better :roll: .
An interesting feature - I have never seen a Camillus Sunfish with such a nail notch on main blade before... ::shrug::
Wow Vit! Beautiful!
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Vit, don’t know how I missed this one! But Holy Cow,what a Piece. Have never held one of those( yet) .
Thank You for sharing that with us ::tu:: ::tu::
That’s has to be about the best looking Camillus have seen !
JP
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

The Queen Dan Burke Black Lip Pearl is my grail knife. I would give the pucker in my butt for one in perfect condition.
Attachments
Queen Dan Burke Black Lip Pearl - Open.jpg
Queen Dan Burke Black Lip Pearl - Handle.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

jerryd6818 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:27 am The Queen Dan Burke Black Lip Pearl is my grail knife. I would give the pucker in my butt for one in perfect condition.
::tu:: ::tu:: Very nice ,that black lip pearl is stunning!
JP
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Ripster wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:47 am Very.....
JP, I hope you realize that a couple of
these posted knives aren't CAMILLUS made.
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:13 pm
Ripster wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:47 am Very.....
JP, I hope you realize that a couple of
these posted knives aren't CAMILLUS made.
Yep,got it ,Thanks ::tu::
JP
CamMan21

Post by CamMan21 »

I collect mostly newer knives and nothing terribly expensive or rare. As far as Camillus, I'd be happy to find a 707Y to complete my YJ collection (the folders anyway). I don't have the serrated 712, either, but that doesn't feel like a gap in my group. That said, I'd probably not walk past the 712 or any of the SMKW stag(ish) handled YJs at the right price.

The YJs are a "collection" I never intended to collect, but I liked the YJs so much I've bought them up. Usually my "collecting" involves little more thought than buying knives that I like, especially if I either had them, wanted them, or remember them from childhood. There's plenty of common knives that I want badly and don't have....just because I'm waiting for the right one at the right price to jump in my lap :mrgreen:
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

CamMan21 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:53 pm There's plenty of common knives that I want badly and don't have....just because I'm waiting for the right one at the right price to jump in my lap :mrgreen:
I do that too ::nod:: .

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”