Camillus fish toothpick knife 4-line stamping

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
raincrowe

Camillus fish toothpick knife 4-line stamping

Post by raincrowe »

Over the weekend I found a Camillus toothpick knife with a scaler, hook remover and bail...this knife has back plastic handles...
approx. 5" long and the knife seems to be in excellent condition...The tang stamp.... Camillus...Cutlery Co....Camillus, NY....U.S.A.
I looked at some of the stamps and seen they were made though 1946... but didn't see one quite like this one...Maybe it's just me but
this knife's tang stamp seems bolder and stronger and of a different font...
Would be interested to know the value and any other information available...Thank you ::tu::
Attachments
IMG_1118 (2).JPG
IMG_1115 (2).JPG
IMG_1114 (2).JPG
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Camillus fish toothpick knife 4-line stamping

Post by carrmillus »

....wow!!, another one I've never seen!!!!............... ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ...........................
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Man... that sure is a NICE fish knife!

Congrats on the find!

::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I believe that is a life raft knife that was used in World War II. I think they were made towards the end of the war probably prior to 1946. Usually that's on Sundays

The unique part is the clevis on the joint end. I believe that was only used on the life raft knife.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

“In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” - George Orwell
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

orvet wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:07 pm I believe that is a life raft knife that was used in World War II. I think they were made towards the end of the war probably prior to 1946. Usually that's on Sundays

The unique part is the clevis on the joint end. I believe that was only used on the life raft knife.
I believe you are right Dale. Wow would love to find one of those. ::nod:: ::nod:: ::tu:: ::tu::
raincrowe

Post by raincrowe »

Would that be a navy knife or military affiliated if used on the life raft?...Any idea the value or the amount made?
I know it was quite unusual and I appreciate all the good information... I'd seen these type of knives but not like this one!!
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

doglegg wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:22 pm
orvet wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:07 pm I believe that is a life raft knife that was used in World War II. I think they were made towards the end of the war probably prior to 1946. Usually that's on Sundays

I believe you are right Dale. Wow would love to find one of those. ::nod:: ::nod:: ::tu:: ::tu::
I sold one the nicest Camillus life raft fish knives that I had ever seen, last year I think. I have several of them, but most of all of them have issues. If they have been used very much at all the clevis is probably removed from the knife and the blade is rather than at the tip and those are often broken and reprofiled.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

“In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” - George Orwell
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

In the book "Pocket Knives of the United States Military" by Michael W. Silvey they are listed as 'Emergency Fishing Knives' he shows 3 examples on pg 106.
One with the tang stamp of MADE IN U.S.A. and the other two with Camillus tang stamps, one like yours. I have no idea as to the value or how many were made. ::shrug::
raincrowe

Post by raincrowe »

I will have to check out the book because I've never heard of it maybe the local library may be able to help...
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

raincrowe wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:03 pm Over.....
This one, not mine, sold for $40 at auction.
NOT eBay.
247,380 were made. See picture #2.
Click on a picture to ENLARGE.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
raincrowe