I like to play the Ponies and their clones.

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: I like to play the Ponies and their clones.

Post by Papa Bones »

Not a beauty, but I added another to my Camillus Pony Jack family. Got this at a trade day yesterday for cheep$. A Camillus Long Line tang stamp Camillus 21 Pony Jack with black composite handles. I believe it has been repined, but can't understand someone putting in the effort in an inexpensive knife years ago. The seller said he had it about 6 or 8 years and it was that way when he got it. It has an exposed pin in the front bolster. Both blades have wear, had some surface rust on the blades & in the wells but have awesome snap with very positive half-stops. It needed some cleaning, and had several years of pocket lint packed in the blade wells. But here it is after the warm mineral oil spa treatment, & flush, with some steel wool thrown in for good measure.
Attachments
Cam LL 21 blk comp_a.png
Cam LL 21 blk comp_d.png
Cam LL 21 blk comp_b.png
Cam LL 21 blk comp_c.png
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Papa Bones wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:24 pm Not.....
Yet another FINE acquisition you've made Smitty. ::tu:: ::tu::
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
TPK

Post by TPK »

Great looking knives everyone! Love the pattern & size of these! ::tu:: :D Super cool knives! ::tu:: ::nod::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:42 pm
Yet another FINE acquisition you've made Smitty. ::tu:: ::tu::
Appreciate it Skip!!

TPK wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:33 pm Great looking knives everyone! Love the pattern & size of these! ::tu:: :D Super cool knives! ::tu:: ::nod::
Appreciate it Tom. What I like about them is I can stick one in my watch pocket of a pair of jeans, and another larger knife in the regular pocket below it. ::tu::

Smitty
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

That cleaned up nicely. That's a dandy.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Papa Bones wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:24 pm Not a beauty, but I added another to my Camillus Pony Jack family. Got this at a trade day yesterday for cheep$. A Camillus Long Line tang stamp Camillus 21 Pony Jack with black composite handles. I believe it has been repined, but can't understand someone putting in the effort in an inexpensive knife years ago. The seller said he had it about 6 or 8 years and it was that way when he got it. It has an exposed pin in the front bolster. Both blades have wear, had some surface rust on the blades & in the wells but have awesome snap with very positive half-stops. It needed some cleaning, and had several years of pocket lint packed in the blade wells. But here it is after the warm mineral oil spa treatment, & flush, with some steel wool thrown in for good measure.
Hey there Smitty , your pony herd is a growing . Nice snag on the last one . ::tu::
Did some checking on that
Kutmaster with the different blade configuration and couldn’t find one like it . It looks like a mystery for now to me. Maybe a Kutmaster Guy ,it’s the first I’ve seen in that frame . Let us know if you find out , thanks for the pony show.
Jerry ,that’s a nice herd you got there as well . Thanks for showing those ::tu::
JP
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

jerryd6818 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:42 am That cleaned up nicely. That's a dandy.
Thanks Jerry!

Ripster wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:30 am
Hey there Smitty , your pony herd is a growing . Nice snag on the last one . ::tu::
Did some checking on that
Kutmaster with the different blade configuration and couldn’t find one like it . It looks like a mystery for now to me. Maybe a Kutmaster Guy ,it’s the first I’ve seen in that frame . Let us know if you find out , thanks for the pony show.
Jerry ,that’s a nice herd you got there as well . Thanks for showing those ::tu::
Appreciate it JP

Smitty
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Hey there Smitty ,was digging around in my Case Corner and noticed these 2 . A 3220 CV Yellow handle and a 6220 SS Blue bones. Would they fit in with the requirements for the pony herd ? When I hold them along side the Camillus in the pic the frames seem very close. The bolsters are not as squared off as the Cams or Ka bar shown .
Nice thread ,Thanks for posting it.
Attachments
EB84ACBF-F32B-4040-9604-E4A4A8687AFF.jpeg
5ACC50B8-F564-48BF-8DA7-28210A0211A0.jpeg
JP
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Ripster wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:59 pm Hey there Smitty ,was digging around in my Case Corner and noticed these 2 . A 3220 CV Yellow handle and a 6220 SS Blue bones. Would they fit in with the requirements for the pony herd ?
I'm not Smitty but Case calls them Peanuts.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

jerryd6818 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:23 pm
Ripster wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:59 pm Hey there Smitty ,was digging around in my Case Corner and noticed these 2 . A 3220 CV Yellow handle and a 6220 SS Blue bones. Would they fit in with the requirements for the pony herd ?
I'm not Smitty but Case calls them Peanuts.
Gotcha , thanks Jerry . Hope you’re staying warm and safe. ::tu::
JP
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Papa Bones: Here's your long lost twin. Maybe your pins aren't replaced. Look at these. They look brand new. This was my EDC for years.
Great little knife! Kinda half saber ground on the mark side only. ::tu:: J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_2387.jpg
IMG_2388.jpg
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Ripster wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:59 pm Hey there Smitty ,was digging around in my Case Corner and noticed these 2 . A 3220 CV Yellow handle and a 6220 SS Blue bones. Would they fit in with the requirements for the pony herd ? When I hold them along side the Camillus in the pic the frames seem very close. The bolsters are not as squared off as the Cams or Ka bar shown .
Nice looking Peanuts. The peanut was more of a serpentine design starting with an upturned back bolster flowing to the front bolster slightly turned down. The Pony Jacks were actually just a small Jack knife design which was more of a slightly upturned rear bolster flowing straight to a even front bolster. They are basically a smaller thinner design similar to the Mini Trapper. Or that is the way I interpret it.

Smitty
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Ridgegrass wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:47 pm Papa Bones: Here's your long lost twin. Maybe your pins aren't replaced. Look at these. They look brand new. This was my EDC for years.
Great little knife! Kinda half saber ground on the mark side only. ::tu:: J.O'.
Nice J.O. ::tu:: ::tu::

Smitty
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Papa Bones wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:39 pm
Ripster wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:59 pm Hey there Smitty ,was digging around in my Case Corner and noticed these 2 . A 3220 CV Yellow handle and a 6220 SS Blue bones. Would they fit in with the requirements for the pony herd ? When I hold them along side the Camillus in the pic the frames seem very close. The bolsters are not as squared off as the Cams or Ka bar shown .
Nice looking Peanuts. The peanut was more of a serpentine design starting with an upturned back bolster flowing to the front bolster slightly turned down. The Pony Jacks were actually just a small Jack knife design which was more of a slightly upturned rear bolster flowing straight to a even front bolster. They are basically a smaller thinner design similar to the Mini Trapper. Or that is the way I interpret it.
Thanks Smitty, these small knifes are all interesting, and I do get the difference. Thanks for explaining how the pony jack part came about . ::tu::
JP
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Picked up another Camillus Pony Jack to add to the family. A Long Line tang Stamp, #22 Pony Jack with the Smooth Maize handles. I believe these are delrin and not the pyroxylin handles. I did the Hot water and the thumb rub test and could not get any camphor or vinegary smell. It did have some issues with rust on the blades but they were not stiff. Actually had great snap. I believe an example of being stored without preventive maintenance. Joints may have been oiled but blades were not. Anyway, did my usual cleaning and now it looks much better and as I said it has great snap on both blades with positive half stops. Now the blades are clean, still have some pits but quite usable now. Plus, it seems the 22 is a little harder to find in good shape compared to finding #21 Pony Jacks in the staged brown or black delrin handles.

From what I've found, I believe Camillus started using Delrin on the 22 after 1966. The 1965 Catalogs still listed the 22 Pony Jack with Maize Pyroxylin handles, which as we know was a celluloid. In 1967 Camillus had changed the handle material name to "Genuine Maize Handles. By the Camillus 1970 Catalog the Handle Name had changed to just Maize, and the Later Catalogs listed it as having Smooth Maize, and by the 80's the handle material in the catalogs had changed to Maize Delrin. So a guestimation on the date of this knife is somewhere between 1968 and 1975.

But, here are some before and after photos.

BEFORE
Cam LL 22 Pony Jack Yel_a.png
Cam LL 22 Pony Jack Yel_b.png
AFTER
Cam LL 22 Pony Jack Yel_c.png
Camillus LL 22 Yel clA.png
Cam LL 22 Yel clb.png

Smitty
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Papa Bones wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:57 pm Picked.....
Smitty, good job! ::tu::
GREAT looking pocket knife. ::tu::
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:17 pm
Smitty, good job! ::tu::
GREAT looking pocket knife. ::tu::
Thanks Skip!

Smitty
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Papa Bones wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:57 pm Picked up another Camillus Pony Jack to add to the family. A Long Line tang Stamp, #22 Pony Jack with the Smooth Maize handles. I believe these are delrin and not the pyroxylin handles. I did the Hot water and the thumb rub test and could not get any camphor or vinegary smell. It did have some issues with rust on the blades but they were not stiff. Actually had great snap. I believe an example of being stored without preventive maintenance. Joints may have been oiled but blades were not. Anyway, did my usual cleaning and now it looks much better and as I said it has great snap on both blades with positive half stops. Now the blades are clean, still have some pits but quite usable now. Plus, it seems the 22 is a little harder to find in good shape compared to finding #21 Pony Jacks in the staged brown or black delrin handles.

From what I've found, I believe Camillus started using Delrin on the 22 after 1966. The 1965 Catalogs still listed the 22 Pony Jack with Maize Pyroxylin handles, which as we know was a celluloid. In 1967 Camillus had changed the handle material name to "Genuine Maize Handles. By the Camillus 1970 Catalog the Handle Name had changed to just Maize, and the Later Catalogs listed it as having Smooth Maize, and by the 80's the handle material in the catalogs had changed to Maize Delrin. So a guestimation on the date of this knife is somewhere between 1968 and 1975.

Nice Pony there Smitty ::tu::
You mentioned that it seems they’re more 21 s than 22 s . Do think your right ,at least in my travels.
Interesting info, nice clean up on the little pony .
Hope your enjoying the weather and your weekend ::handshake::
JP
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Ripster wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:24 pm
You mentioned that it seems they’re more 21 s than 22 s . Do think your right ,at least in my travels.
Thanks JP. I have no official numbers of production on either pattern, but just from what I've seen at shows, trade days, and online auctions, It just seems I see more of the Pattern 21's than the 22's. Both are a neat little pattern and good EDC. Some days I will carry a 72 and a 21 as my edc. :)

Smitty
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Papa Bones wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:19 am
Ripster wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:24 pm
Thanks JP. I have no official numbers of production on either pattern, but just from what I've seen at shows, trade days, and online auctions, It just seems I see more of the Pattern 21's than the 22's. Both are a neat little pattern and good EDC. Some days I will carry a 72 and a 21 as my edc. :)
They are a handy little thing,good for wood slivers or cleanin* grease from fingernails,etc etc.
JP
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Great job cleaning it up Smitty. ::tu::
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

dlr110 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:32 pm Great job cleaning it up Smitty. ::tu::
Thanks David.

Smitty
phil0175
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by phil0175 »

Papa Bones wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:57 pm Picked up another Camillus Pony Jack to add to the family. A Long Line tang Stamp, #22 Pony Jack with the Smooth Maize handles. I believe these are delrin and not the pyroxylin handles. I did the Hot water and the thumb rub test and could not get any camphor or vinegary smell. It did have some issues with rust on the blades but they were not stiff. Actually had great snap. I believe an example of being stored without preventive maintenance. Joints may have been oiled but blades were not. Anyway, did my usual cleaning and now it looks much better and as I said it has great snap on both blades with positive half stops. Now the blades are clean, still have some pits but quite usable now. Plus, it seems the 22 is a little harder to find in good shape compared to finding #21 Pony Jacks in the staged brown or black delrin handles.

But, here are some before and after photos.

BEFORE
Cam LL 22 Pony Jack Yel_a.png
Cam LL 22 Pony Jack Yel_b.png

AFTER
Cam LL 22 Pony Jack Yel_c.png
Camillus LL 22 Yel clA.png
Cam LL 22 Yel clb.png
Just noticed this board. Hate to be late to the party, but that yellow pops. Very nice. I have looked at those pony jacks, but never snagged one. You got that little gem cleaned up right smart!!! Great score!!!!!! :D ::tu:: ::handshake::
Phil
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

phil0175 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:45 pm
Just noticed this board. Hate to be late to the party, but that yellow pops. Very nice. I have looked at those pony jacks, but never snagged one. You got that little gem cleaned up right smart!!! Great score!!!!!! :D ::tu:: ::handshake::
Phil
Welcome to the Pony Jack thread Phil. They are neat little knives and made by a variety of manufacturers. A good little EDC with several different handle materials. ::tu::

Smitty
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

I added this one to my Camillus Pony Jack family today. It is a Camillus Sword Brand Pattern 21 Pony Jack. It is 2-13/16" closed with bone handles. Unfortunately the handles are cracked. The blades have no wobble with good snap, and positive half stops. It has the Sword Brand Crossed Swords tang stamp on the mark side of the Clip Blade and has The Four Line Camillus tang stamp on the pile side. I've not decided what I want to do with it, but may have the handles replaced and make a great old EDC Pony Jack. It needed some cleaning. Here are the pictures of it.
Cam Sword Brand 21_a.png
Cam Sword Brand 21_b.png
Cam Sword Brand 21_c.png
Cam Sword Brand 21_d.png

Smitty

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”