Rigger's knife: bid or pass?

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
Dan In MI

Rigger's knife: bid or pass?

Post by Dan In MI »

I've come across a rigger's knife. Here's a link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Camillus-USA-M ... 4028637646

And some pictures:
s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600.jpg
With a drastic lowering of the start bid, it'll now sell. I'm interested, but as I'm no Camillus expert, it's probably wise to ask a few questions.

The seller says the knife is in "VG condition." Having looked at the pictures, I'd agree. I see no cracks or chips, and the blade looks okay. Are there any areas on these that are particularly trouble-prone?

There isn't a photo that shows the tang stamp in its entirety, but it looks to be a later USA model. Is my guess correct?

Finally, what would be a good price for it, and didn't Camillus produce rigger's knives for Case?

Thanks to all who help!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
kootenay joe

Re: Rigger's knife: bid or pass?

Post by kootenay joe »

The knife is fine. Ask seller if spike lock works. Schrade-Walden made the 'same' knife and 90% of them the spike will not lock open.
I have a Camillus and the spike lock works fine.
I have seen one of these recently listed by Nordic Knives in California for $199.
I think $75 might be more realistic but maybe they are more rare than i am aware.
kj
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

The one I linked to failed--twice--to sell with a start bid of $49.99. $199 seems way too high, but you never know. I've asked the seller if the lock works. Thanks for the advice!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Dan In MI wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:18 am The one I linked to failed--twice--to sell with a start bid of $49.99. $199 seems way too high, but you never know. I've asked the seller if the lock works. Thanks for the advice!
Dan , theCamillus Spike is a well built piece. There’s a lot of them out there ! Just picked up another one for 52.00 . If you watch they’re out there sometime for buy it now price. Believe KJ is right ,no more than 75.00 will get you a good one.
JP
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

The seller, in a very terse reply, stated that the spike locks properly. If I don't go nuts with other purchases, and the bidding doesn't go nuts, I'm in. Thanks for the help, gentlemen!
USN 2000-2006

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”