Zippo by Camillus?

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
cody6268

Zippo by Camillus?

Post by cody6268 »

I was under the impression that Case made most of the Zippo knives. The two steel-handle lockbacks continued well after Zippo stopped selling USA-made knives, with Case still selling what originated as the Cut About Jr. I had always figured someone else did the lightweight model, given it looked so little like the lobster pattern "Pocket Knife" or the two "Cut About" knives.

A lot I recently bought contained this oddball (and a one-blade 23, more on that later). Appears to be a bit smaller knife than the Zippo, but I think they made two sizes of the lightweight model like they did the stainless model.

Look at this Camillus.
s-l16002CKUG1 (2).jpg
And compare it to this Zippo.
s-l1600ZLBK.jpg

I say Camillus may have had made the Zippo, and got extra use out of the mold by making an own-brand knife.
Dan In MI

Re: Zippo by Camillus?

Post by Dan In MI »

Without knowing for sure when Zippo purchased Case (others will surely let me know), I'd say it's possible but highly unlikely. I don't think it would make sense for a company to contract production out to a subsidiary's competitor. This has potential to be an interesting thread, that's for sure!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

In the past some of the Case patterns were made by Camillus like: 640045R, 62031, 61011, and the 62146 L Riggers knife, all with Delrin handles. So i think it is quite possible that Camillus was contracted to make some of the Zippo knives.
kj
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

kootenay joe wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 3:39 am In the past some of the Case patterns were made by Camillus like: 640045R, 62031, 61011, and the 62146 L Riggers knife, all with Delrin handles.
Italics mine. I should have remembered that, as I used to have a Case rigger's knife!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Dan In MI wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 1:49 am Without knowing for sure when Zippo purchased Case (others will surely let me know), I'd say it's possible but highly unlikely. I don't think it would make sense for a company to contract production out to a subsidiary's competitor. This has potential to be an interesting thread, that's for sure!
Zippo purchased Case in 1993, June 2nd, according to the New York Times archived file. I remember when the deal was in the works in 1992, then I was still managing a chain of cigar & cutlery stores. We purchased directly from Zippo because we did a large volume with them, so we had advanced knowledge before it actually happened. We knew that Case was in trouble because they laid off their entire Sales force a couple years before, as I recall. Their sales rep in the Northwest was not quite old enough to retire and the only job he had ever done was as a sales rep for Case since he was a young man helping his father who was the previous Case representative. Poor guy ended up working retail until he could retire. I got to know him pretty well since he worked just one store down from one of our mall stores. He may have been the one who told me about the sale or it could have been my Zippo salesman, who was a friend and a WW II Marine veteran of the Pacific.

I am 99% certain that Camillus made some knives for Zippo. I think I have some unfinished ones from the Camillus bankruptcy auction, or they were sent to me by Tom Williams before he passed. Tom sent me a lot of Camillus parts and information from the Camillus Factory. Most of the catalogs and info you can see posted on LRV's website, Collectors of Camillus.

I'll see if I can't find the Camillus made Zippo and snap a quick picture and post it.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”