No line Barlow #11

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

No line Barlow #11

Post by doglegg »

Fished this one out of the bay. I'm usually not very attracted to Barlow's but this one held a secret. A no line tang stamp. I think this makes my 5th with such a tang stamp. Not in the greatest of condition but neither am I so we match. Bone handles are icing on the cake.
DSCN6971.JPG
DSCN6972.JPG
DSCN6973.JPG
DSCN6976.JPG
DSCN6977.JPG
DSCN6978.JPG
DSCN6979.JPG
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Re: No line Barlow #11

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

doglegg wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:52 pm Fished.....
VERY nice catch, Floyd! ::tu:: ::tu::
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

doglegg wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:52 pm Fished this one out of the bay. I'm usually not very attracted to Barlow's but this one held a secret. A no line tang stamp. I think this makes my 5th with such a tang stamp. Not in the greatest of condition but neither am I so we match. Bone handles are icing on the cake.
Very nice find Floyd!!
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Wow! I’m not a great lover of Barlow knives either. But I would have had a hard time passing that one up! Very nice.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Thanks Skip and Papa bones. ::handshake:: ::handshake::

Wade I've got to where I look at the tang mark on those old Camillus knives before I look at the knife it self. It is always a thrill to find a no liner. Thank you. ::handshake::
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

doglegg wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:52 pm Fished this one out of the bay. I'm usually not very attracted to Barlow's but this one held a secret. A no line tang stamp. I think this makes my 5th with such a tang stamp. Not in the greatest of condition but neither am I so we match. Bone handles are icing on the cake. DSCN6971.JPGDSCN6972.JPGDSCN6973.JPGDSCN6976.JPGDSCN6977.JPGDSCN6978.JPGDSCN6979.JPG
Great Catch Floyd. ::tu::
Really like the Tip Top on Bolsters and agree that the bones are icing. And a no liner too boot. Well done my Friend ::handshake::
JP
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Thanks JP. ::handshake::
Gone2Three
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Gone2Three »

Congratulations Floyd!.... was hoping one of y'a fine folks here won it ::woot::
Had been bidding on it and wasn't able to watch the auction closing, great score, well done...enjoy! ::sotb:: :lol: ::mdm:: ::tu::
Working Edge

Post by Working Edge »

Would someone please tell me what "no line" means, in a tang stamp?
Thanks in advance,
Mark
Praise the Lord,
Pass the ammunition
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Working Edge wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:06 am Would someone please tell me what "no line" means, in a tang stamp?
Thanks in advance,
Mark
Morning, the no line is referring to tang stamp on knife .
Camillus tang stamp chart will show you that several stamps have a short ,long ,or no line under the word Camillus. This tells us years of manufacturing for that particular stamp. If you go to stamp charts here or elsewhere you will see the difference in the stamps ,with the approximate dates of manufacturing.
Hope that helps .
JP
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

Working Edge wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:06 am Would someone please tell me what "no line" means, in a tang stamp?
Thanks in advance,
Mark
Photos from BF
Attachments
Pre 1946
Pre 1946
1946~1948
1946~1948
~1947-1950
~1947-1950
1950s-1970s
1950s-1970s
1980s-1989
1980s-1989
1989-2007
1989-2007
Working Edge

Post by Working Edge »

Thanks, fellas,

Explanation and photos much appreciated..!!
::tu:: ::handshake::
Praise the Lord,
Pass the ammunition
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Gonetothree, thank you and I would not have been offended if you had been able to get it. I like for them to stay in the family. ::nod:: ::handshake::

Working Edge, sorry I didn't get back to you before Ripster and Vit did but they do a much better job. The no line tang stamp doesn't appear in a lot of tang charts. Always exciting to me to find one. Thank you. ::handshake::

JP, Vit thank you both for the explanation and Vit for the pics. I remember when I first approached you about the no line stamp and you were so helpful to educate me Vit. Thanks to you both. ::nod:: ::nod:: ::handshake::
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

Working Edge wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:22 pm Explanation and photos much appreciated..!!
There is one more thing to remember. Only an approximate date can be determined using the tang stamp. If Camillus had any stocks of blades, he used them even after the rebranding. Thus, different models of knives with different tang stamps could come out of the factory at the same time.
Working Edge

Post by Working Edge »

Vit_213 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:49 pm
Working Edge wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:22 pm Explanation and photos much appreciated..!!
There is one more thing to remember. Only an approximate date can be determined using the tang stamp. If Camillus had any stocks of blades, he used them even after the rebranding. Thus, different models of knives with different tang stamps could come out of the factory at the same time.
Okay,

Thanks again..!

Mark
Praise the Lord,
Pass the ammunition
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Vit_213 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:49 pm
Good point Vit, and the same is true no matter the manufacturer. There is a recent post regarding a Case “set” of knives, different patterns produced in a certain year all having the same handle covers. But one knife in the set had a tang stamp from a prior year. The OP was questioning “why”; the answer is the same as the example discussed in this post. Those blades having that older stamp were what was available at the time. Knife manufacturers are all of similar mind - “waste not”!

Nice find Floyd! ::nod::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Thanks Ken ::handshake::

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”