Is the handle material on this knife celluloid or a different type of plastic?

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
MechanicalBear

Is the handle material on this knife celluloid or a different type of plastic?

Post by MechanicalBear »

I have recently found this knife in a box of knives. It has been kept away from my other knives in fear that it is celluloid and not another other type of plastic. So I was wondering, what is the handle made of?
Attachments
20211029_172409_(1).jpg
MechanicalBear

Re: Is the handle material on this knife celluloid or a different type of plastic?

Post by MechanicalBear »

Also, am I correct in assuming all other similar Colonial white and black faux bone knives are made of the same material?
kootenay joe

Re: Is the handle material on this knife celluloid or a different type of plastic?

Post by kootenay joe »

These are good questions. I have wondered the same things.
I think these are not celluloid but a type of plastic that was used before Delrin which was first used by Schrade in 1960. Older knives from a variety of manufacturers came with similar fake stag plastic but were they all made of the same plastic ? There is also a black plastic that was used by Camillus that shrunk ++ but did not off gas and affect the steel or brass.
Likely a number of different plastics were used to make knife handles before 1960.
kj
Samb

Post by Samb »

You'll know if it starts gasing out.
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

MechanicalBear wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:28 pm I.....
Maybe somebody in the Colonial forum can answer your question.
viewforum.php?f=87
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

MechanicalBear wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:28 pm I have recently found this knife in a box of knives. It has been kept away from my other knives in fear that it is celluloid and not another other type of plastic. So I was wondering, what is the handle made of?
Not celluloid
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
MechanicalBear

Post by MechanicalBear »

edge213 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:43 pm
MechanicalBear wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:28 pm I have recently found this knife in a box of knives. It has been kept away from my other knives in fear that it is celluloid and not another other type of plastic. So I was wondering, what is the handle made of?
Not celluloid
[/quote How can you tell?
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

MechanicalBear wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:28 am
Not celluloid
[/quote
How can you tell?
I have seen that type in person. It's some type of plastic, but not celluloid.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
MechanicalBear

Post by MechanicalBear »

edge213 wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:31 am
MechanicalBear wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:28 am

Not celluloid
[/quote
How can you tell?
I have seen that type in person. It's some type of plastic, but not celluloid.
Oh, thank you for the quick response. I am glad to hear that by the way.

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”