Was a good short line ,till they buffed it!!

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Was a good short line ,till they buffed it!!

Post by Ripster »

Here’s what looks to be a 68 Premium stock knife . Has the clip and Spey blades and spiral punch and is bone handled . It’s 3 and 7/8 inches long and the bone is in great shape . Unfortunately it looks like someone got carried away polishing . When I made an offer that was a little low was aware of this and now can show some of the guys at the shows around here what shiny off the bay gets you sometimes. It’s to bad as it’s a solid knife ,but on the other hand now have another short line to EDC.
Attachments
E9D2D03F-44C7-4934-861B-70A0D453AF6F.jpeg
E768612E-F90B-40C1-BEB1-26144B06C494.jpeg
AE7F31E7-233D-4FBE-A156-4C2AB2F724FC.jpeg
D6AE0417-3E9A-47E1-9A1D-61A7F88FDFFC.jpeg
JP
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Was a good short line ,till they buffed it!!

Post by Miller Bro's »

Doesn't looked buffed to me, however it is a factory second. ::tu::
AAPK Janitor
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Miller Bro's wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:27 pm Doesn't looked buffed to me, however it is a factory second. ::tu::
That makes sense, have never seen this done in the short line stamp era . Thank you . It’ll make a good carry still .
JP
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Ripster wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:58 pm
Miller Bro's wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:27 pm Doesn't looked buffed to me, however it is a factory second. ::tu::
That makes sense, have never seen this done in the short line stamp era . Thank you . It’ll make a good carry still .
" Good Carry " :shock: Excellent Carry. ::woot:: ::woot:: ::woot:: ::ds::
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Ripster wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:46 pm Here’s.....
VERY g@@d l👀king piece of cutlery, JP. ::tu:: ::tu::
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Nice bones on it. ::tu:: A great EDC!
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Looks pristine, I wonder what made it a Second? ::shrug:: Does that punch look strange that anyone else, like it was not smoothed out?
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

1967redrider wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:09 pm Looks pristine, I wonder what made it a Second? ::shrug:: Does that punch look strange that anyone else, like it was not smoothed out?
John that’s a really good question. The Punch looks unused and have compared it to a couple other Camillus punches and it looks good . The blades are nice and it functions like it should . Really can’t find anything wrong with it. The finish on the underside of the punch isn’t as buffed as the rest of the knife but have seen that on a lot of other ones as well. It’s in good enough shape that think will put it up and not carry it . Would really like to know if anyone has seen a short line with this done at factory to indicate being a second .Don’t question MB s statement about being a second , as he knows more than I about knives . Just don’t see anything wrong to make it a Second in my mind ?
JP
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Here are a few factory seconds that I have.

One is a Camillus just like your knife with the name ground out, nothing wrong with it, the Schrade has very weak snap.

The bone handle Camillus is an early one when they first started using Stainless steel for their blades, can't find anything wrong with it, the stamp was ground off at the factory.
Attachments
13 (3).JPG
2 (11).JPG
MVC-001S_zpsfd1a7e3c.jpg
AAPK Janitor
cbay

Post by cbay »

Don't have lots of experience compared to most here, but the "frosted" look on the blade I do have a little experience with...
Trying to show a little too much love to a few with the dremel polishing bolsters and got pretty warm. I'm curious of it will buff back out? Or is that a permanent heat change to the metal?
I could have easily missed the point to the subject all together too. ::doh::
Chris
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

It will buff back out ::nod::
AAPK Janitor
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Miller Bro's wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:19 am Here are a few factory seconds that I have.

One is a Camillus just like your knife with the name ground out, nothing wrong with it, the Schrade has very weak snap.

The bone handle Camillus is an early one when they first started using Stainless steel for their blades, can't find anything wrong with it, the stamp was ground off at the factory.
Thank you Sir . It’s sure good to have all you folks around here to help out . This has been another learning curve in dealing with some of the older stuff and things you don’t read about in Books . Have never seen the Schrade 2 nds or reject marking . Did They grind the model number off as well on the Camillus ?
JP
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Ripster wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:13 am Thank you Sir . It’s sure good to have all you folks around here to help out . This has been another learning curve in dealing with some of the older stuff and things you don’t read about in Books .
Your welcome, glad you learned something new!
Ripster wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:13 am Have never seen the Schrade 2 nds or reject marking . Did They grind the model number off as well on the Camillus ?
Nope, just the name ::nod::
AAPK Janitor

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”