Imperials

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Re: Imperials

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Dan In MI wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 3:32 pm Superb.....
Thank you, Dan. 🍻
I actually don't "purposely" collect Imperial pocket knives in general. I collect certain types of pocket knives that
in some cases, happen to be made by Imperial. Such as the Imperial "MEXICO" pocket knives, the Scout mess kit
pocket knives, etc. The Imperial pocket knives that I have, like the six that I just recently posted, were included
in groups or lots of pocket knives that I bought and were not the specific targets of the purchase(s).
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by CluelessNick »

Got this one coming from a seller on Ebay...the handle somehow caught my eye.
Attachments
1.jpg
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

If it looks as good in the hand as it does in photos, you did really well with that one!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by CluelessNick »

Thanks Dan. It's always a crap shoot when buying from Ebay. But for some reason I seem to be attracted to these handles.
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

CluelessNick wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 12:41 am Thanks Dan. It's always a crap shoot when buying from Ebay. But for some reason I seem to be attracted to these handles.
Nice! Are those solid bolster?
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by CluelessNick »

Yes I think they are. but the only one I have in hand so far is the 3 blade knife. Nice delrin handles and solid bolsters, same pattern as a Schrade 855'. I really like it. Hope the others are as nice.
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

CluelessNick wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:24 pm Got this one coming from a seller on Ebay...the handle somehow caught my eye.
Nice pickup!
I have a couple of those Diamond Edge knives and they’re very well made.
Jeff
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
Maddogfl

Re: Old Imperials

Post by Maddogfl »

Meridian_Mike wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:44 pm I have this guy.....
He is from about 1950 I think.....
Imperial Auto 1950 1.JPG
Imperial Auto 1950 2.JPG

AND..... I have a Folding Hunter.....
Maybe from the 70's (??).....

5 inch folding hunter 2.jpg
5 inch folding hunter 4.jpg

AND..... this here easy opener.....

Navy General Utility 1.JPG

Sounds like FUN.....Let's see some more.....
::tu::
You are right about the age of the folding hunter. I bought mine in 1971. As an apprentice plumber I carried that very knife (in my pocket) to work every day. I caught a lot of flack from the older guys about having such a big knife. It came in very handy for cutting okum. If I ever see one of them for sale I intend to snag it for nostalgic reasons.
Maddogfl

Post by Maddogfl »

I am not a knife collector, I am not even sure that I am a knife hoarder, but sort of a knife scavenger. I sweep the floors after the knife collectors and hoarders have left the room and pick up their discards. I have a pile of Imperials, especially Kamp Kings, and I like the brand as a damn fine working man's tool. Imperials are the knives my Father and Grandfather carried in their pockets to use in the pursuit of making a living. Imperial blades can be honed to the point that they are just plain dangerous, even by me! . I do a fair amount of junk store prowling but the only knives I ever see are either Colonials, Imperials or consistently overpriced Cases. Here is a sampling of Imperials; I seriously doubt that I have over five bucks in any of them. I did include a couple of Kamp Kings that were made in the days when Imperial still knew what brass was.

I do enjoy coming here and seeing the really nice knives in the world, I am amazed by some of the cutlery I see here, and I do appreciate being tolerated, but the Imperials and their poorly brethren satisfy this old man's itch. Now, if you all would excuse me, I must go consummate my big knife deal of the week! ;)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/384890945240?
Attachments
DSCN3114.JPG
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Quite a nice pile of Imperials! ::tu::
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by CluelessNick »

Picked up another Diamond Edge from Ebay. This one is the stockman version in pretty nice condition.
Attachments
1.png
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Very recently, this pocket knife arrived and it now becomes the latest example to join this topic or thread and to join my general pocket knife collection. It came in a very large group or lot of pocket knives that I bought. I am happy to have it, but I did not buy the group or lot for this particular pocket knife. It is an Imperial, one blade, one tool (a cap lifter or bottle opener, a fish scaler and a hook remover), one tang stamp, two shields, two springs, 5" closed, fishing pattern or style of pocket knife. The main blade front tang stamp reads "Imperial with crown (over) PROV. R.I. with USA" Overall, it is in VERY GOOD condition. It did require a very minor amount of cleaning. I took some pictures and here it is.
Caption(s), if any, are on the BOTTOM of the corresponding picture(s).
Click on a picture to ENLARGE.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
The Main Blade Front Tang Stamp.

Skip
LRV

Post by LRV »

I've always had a soft spot for these fishing style stelletto shaped knives. Carried one for a long time.
Havent seen one with the badge on the back side before.
Nice example
Thanks for sharing
Larry
“A knife in a man’s hand is as precious as a diamond necklace on a woman’s neck” - Michael Mirando I.S.C.
LRV

Post by LRV »

A few I've had for a while.
Fishings.jpg
Mostly Schrade, Colonial and Imperial
Larry
“A knife in a man’s hand is as precious as a diamond necklace on a woman’s neck” - Michael Mirando I.S.C.
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

LRV wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:48 pm I've.....
Thank you, Larry. 🍻

LRV wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:05 pm A.....

WOW!! That's an impressive collection! ::tu:: ::tu::

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Recently, this pocket knife arrived and it now becomes the latest example to join this topic or thread and to join my general pocket knife collection. It came in a very large group or lot of pocket knives that I purchased. I am happy to have it, but I did NOT buy the group or lot for this particular pocket knife. It is an IMPERIAL, two blades, one tang stamp, 3 3/8" closed, pocket knife. The main blade front tang stamp reads "IMPERIAL (over) PROVIDENCE, R.I." According to the tang stamp chart, this dates to 1930 - 1936. Overall, it is in VERY GOOD condition. It required a very minor amount of cleaning. I took some pictures and here it is.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Recently, this pocket knife arrived and it now becomes the latest example to join this topic or thread and to join my general pocket knife collection. It came in a very large group or lot of pocket knives that I purchased. I am happy to have it. However, I did NOT buy the group or lot for this particular pocket knife. It did turn out to be a keeper. It is an UNBRANDED, three blades, NO tang stamp(s), 3 3/8" closed, 5 7/8" main blade open, "cattleman"(?) pattern or style of pocket knife. I could NOT find the remains of ANY type of stamp, etch, etc. But, after carefully comparing this pocket knife with other posted Imperial, three blade knives, I am 99.999% positive that this "UNBRANDED" pocket knife IS an Imperial. But, it may very well be a KINGSTON, or a ????? Overall, it is in EXCELLENT condition. All I did was wipe it off.
I took some pictures and here it is.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
The Main Blade Tang-Front & Back.
The Main Blade Tang-Front & Back.
The Secondary Blade Tang-Front & Back.
The Secondary Blade Tang-Front & Back.
The Third Blade Tang-Front & Back.
The Third Blade Tang-Front & Back.

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Arriving recently in a very large group or lot of pocket knives that I bought, this pocket knife now becomes the most recent example to be posted under this topic or thread. However, I did NOT buy the group or lot to obtain this particular pocket knife. But, as it turned out, this pocket knife is definitely a keeper and will be a welcome addition to my general pocket knife collection. It is an Imperial, one blade, three tools (a can opener, a cap lifter or bottle opener and a punch or awl), two tang stamps, 3 3/4" closed (not including the bail), camping or scouting, pattern or style of pocket knife. The main blade front tang stamp says "Imperial (with crown) (over) PROV. USA" The can opener front tang stamp says "CAN OPENER (over) P2391732" It is in VERY GOOD condition. It needed very little cleaning. I took some pictures and here it is.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
The Can Opener Front Tang Stamp.

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Arriving recently in a very large group or lot of pocket knives that I bought, this pocket knife now becomes the most recent example to be posted under this topic or thread. However, I did NOT buy the group or lot to obtain this particular pocket knife. But, as it turned out, this pocket knife is definitely a keeper and will be a welcome addition to my general pocket knife collection. It is an IMPERIAL, two blades, two tools (a can opener and a cap lifter or bottle opener), two tang stamps, 3 3/4" closed, camping or scouting, pattern or style of pocket knife. The main blade front tang stamp says "IMPERIAL (no crown) (over) PROV. R.I." The can opener front tang stamp, the remains of it possibly say, "CAN OPENER(?) (over) PAT PEND(?)" Overall, it is in VERY GOOD condition. It needed little cleaning. I took some pictures and here it is.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Arriving recently in a very large group or lot of pocket knives that I bought, this item now becomes the most recent example to be posted under this topic or thread. I did NOT buy the group or lot to obtain this particular item. But, as it turned out, this item is definitely a keeper and will be a welcome addition to my general pocket knife collection. It is an Imperial, one blade, five removable and changable tools, one tang stamp, 3 3/4" closed, pocket knife. The main blade front tang stamp says "Imperial (with crown) (over) PROV. USA" Overall, the pocket knife, the tools and the vinyl carrying or storage case are ALL in EXCELLENT condition. They needed very little cleaning. I took some pictures and here they are.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
Oledadsknives

Post by Oledadsknives »

Very nice bunch of imperials skip! Very unique tool kit for sure.

Jimbo
You can lead a person to wisdom, but you can’t make them think ::nod::
Where I am is where I’ll be!!
Jimbo
Oledadsknives

Post by Oledadsknives »

I came across an Imperial that I had forgotten about having. This thread made me go looking and I found 1 I’ve had a long time. Probably 30 years or more! Nothing fancy but I love it!!
6E30E5D2-5443-40E4-98D5-9277AD312C45.jpeg
299D362B-8BFB-43AC-98A7-2434CC59ECC5.jpeg
3714363D-0DB6-45E2-B9F5-56821268141B.jpeg
Jimbo
Jimbo
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

I'm partial to fish knives and large toothpicks. Very nice! ::tu::
USN 2000-2006
Oledadsknives

Post by Oledadsknives »

Dan In MI wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:23 am I'm partial to fish knives and large toothpicks. Very nice! ::tu::
I hear ya, I’m the same way! Thanks Dan.
Jimbo
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Arriving recently in a very large group or lot of pocket knives that I bought, this pocket knife now becomes my most recent example to be posted under this topic or thread. However, I did NOT buy the group or lot to obtain this particular pocket knife. But, as it turned out, this pocket knife is definitely a keeper and will be a welcome addition to my general pocket knife collection. It is an Imperial, one blade, three tools (a can opener, a cap lifter or bottle opener and a punch or awl), two tang stamps, 3 3/4" closed (not including the bail), camping or scouting, pattern or style of pocket knife. The main blade front tang stamp says "Imperial (with crown) (over) PROV. R.I." with a vertical "USA" on the side. The can opener front tang stamp says "CAN OPENER (over) P.2391732" It is in GOOD+ condition. It needed some cleaning. I took some pictures and here it is.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg